+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    my kids play in the cul de sac all day. i would rather that than tv and video games. i would pay if my kids broke anything.we had a cricket ball go through our window 2 weeks ago and the neighbours paid for it.my kids say hello to people. they are aware of stranger danger but they are not terrified.i think you should organise a meeting with the parents so you can set some boundaries.
    My kids aren't old enough yet, but yep, I would think we'd operate the same way.

The best aspect of living in a cul-de-sac is the street becomes a bit of a communal play area for the kids living in it. Where we live it is like this and there are kids from 3-14 playing together who watch out for each other. The older kids even organised an Easter egg hunt for the little ones on Thursday night.

These parents sound awful though, I think most parents would be apologetic and offer to cover the repair costs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cul de sac or not I still wouldn't let my kids play out on the road, call me paranoid but accidents happen.

My kids play outside everyday, but in the backyard, that's what they're for.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a cul de sac and our kids play outside and on the road with neighbors kids riding bikes and scooters but we always keep an eye on the kids and the rule is that they are not allowed in anyone else's yard etc so se can always see them. It's quite safe in our area. From the comments from neighbors that don't have kids id say they are happy to hear them outdoors being active!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanut2011 View Post
    Sorry If this offends anyone, but... They sound like a prime example if what is wrong with society today! Raising kids with no/minimal boundaries, not teaching them respect or manners, not owning up to the results of their careless actions. And having mummy and daddy come out and defend their carelessness, teaching them what they have done is right and ok. I bet if their kid ever got clipped by a car from playing on the road, they'd probably blame the driver!

Hopefully you don't have to have too many run ins with them.

This exactly

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Another cul-de-sac liver who would do much the same as outlined. Damaging the car is not cool but other than that I think perhaps you are being a little judgemental.
    No im really not, I'm concerned that these kids lack of road sence is going to get then killed for one thing, and that if the parents have no care when their parents damage a car, what else will they let them do?
    Like I keep saying, the fact that they are on the road is not the main issue. And everyone who does let their children play on the road has some level of supervision. Remembering these kids are like 4.5 & 6yo
    Last edited by siege; 08-04-2012 at 19:51.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to siege For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by siege View Post
    No im really not, I'm concerned that these kids lack of road sence is going to get then killed for one thing, and that if the parents have no care when their parents damage a car, what else will they let them do?
    Like I keep saying, the fact that they are on the road is not the main issue. And everyone who does let their children play on the road has some level of supervision. Remembering these kids are like 4.5 & 6yo
    Just astounds me that parents see it as ok to let their kids play on the road Cars going in and out not to mention the psychos out there these days, anything could happen. Roads are not made for playing on!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Culdesacs are a little safer, but a 4 and 6yr old shouldn't be out alone. A little young I think. I'd probably allow kids to play in the culdesac but make sure they're supervised at all times.
    With the going off at the kids, yes you had a legitamit reason to get ****ed but I think it would've been better handled to have gone straight to the parents instead of yelling at the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberleygal1 View Post
    Just astounds me that parents see it as ok to let their kids play on the road Cars going in and out not to mention the psychos out there these days, anything could happen. Roads are not made for playing on!
    I guess as I remember playing on the road as a kid I don't see it as being any different? DD knows that if you see a car you get off the road immediately, so I don't think it's that astounding.

As for psychos - did you know that statistically, if your child stood outside your house, on average they would have to stand there 19 years before they would be abducted? Of course every parent decides what amount of risk they are willing to take, but for me the benefits of playing outside with other kids far outweigh the miniscule risk of being abducted..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Firstly, I'd be visiting the police station to make a statement which doesn't hurt or cost anything. Just to back up what has happened and what has been damaged..
    Then, if it happens again I'd do the same again but this time I'd also contact my local council. They take nuisance neighbours quite seriously and together with the police and council they may possibly do something about the disrespectfulness and rudeness of these children. Their parents are solely responsible for their children and any damage they make to other ppls or public property. Just like a dogs owner is responsible for fixing someone's car if it ran out on the road and got accidentally hit by the car. Don't stand for it and good luck :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We are turning in to such an awful society.
    Lock our kids in gardens away from psychos and to stop them from "annoying" neighbours.

Going to the police instead of talking it out with them...

yuck.
    My kids live in the cul de sac. they are 9,7 and 2.
    We have spoken to our neighbours and have a few rules. No noise before 8am and after 7pm.
    But the kids live here, its their neighbourhood too. They are not annoying to out neighbours. They play handball, ride scooters and bikes and play games, all on the road.
    I grew up in a cul de sac and so did DH and we both lived out there.

I do not want a high security fence ...I do not want my kids to be locked away.

I think the damage is bad OP, I do think that maybe you could go to the neighbour and say, hey we seem to have got off on the wrong foot and would like to patch it up..and talk.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ishtyban For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (09-04-2012),MissMuppet  (09-04-2012),MordecaiAliVanAllenO'Shea  (09-04-2012),shelle65  (08-04-2012),twotrunks  (08-04-2012)