+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I honestly thought I'd be hit with "that's what kids do so get over it"
    If I accidentally brush up against a car when walking through a car park I freak our and check to make sure I have scratched it with my handbag.... I just assumed that everyone had the same morals as me.
    The kids don't care, the parents don't care and obviously their visitors have the same careless parenting style as my neighbours because their kids were involved in today's incident and the oldest kid gave me the filthiest look when I told them to get their ball and go home.
    Being an old car my husband has the tools and the ability to fix the dent but that isn't the point, an apology to my FIL would be nice but it's never going to happen

2. The Following User Says Thank You to siege For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    my kids play in the cul de sac all day. i would rather that than tv and video games. i would pay if my kids broke anything.we had a cricket ball go through our window 2 weeks ago and the neighbours paid for it.my kids say hello to people. they are aware of stranger danger but they are not terrified.i think you should organise a meeting with the parents so you can set some boundaries.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by siege View Post
    Thanks ladies, I honestly thought I'd be hit with "that's what kids do so get over it"
    If I accidentally brush up against a car when walking through a car park I freak our and check to make sure I have scratched it with my handbag.... I just assumed that everyone had the same morals as me.
    The kids don't care, the parents don't care and obviously their visitors have the same careless parenting style as my neighbours because their kids were involved in today's incident and the oldest kid gave me the filthiest look when I told them to get their ball and go home.
    Being an old car my husband has the tools and the ability to fix the dent but that isn't the point, an apology to my FIL would be nice but it's never going to happen
    No way does "that's what kids do get over it apply", you have every right to be annoyed. Parents need to start taking more responsibility for their kids actions. We have a high secure fence all around our property and wouldn't have it any other way. There is no way in hell under any circumstances would our children be playing in the front yard of a non fenced or poorly fenced house or out in the street whether it's a cul de sac or not, it's not on! Our kids spend most of their time outside in a secure yard not where there is the potential to annoy neighbors.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be annoyed too at the kids and concerned for them as they seem to be unaware of stranger danger. I can imagine you were angry at their hitting the car, on the other hand you don't know what the kids have told the parents about your reaction so I would probably talk to the parents tell them why the cars are parked on the road and ask them to ensure their children don't damage the cars with their play.

It's a hard one. Personally I would not let my kids unsupervised on the road and would be livid if they had such disregard for other peoples property.

But I have been on the end of an exaggerated story from child to parent , ( a long time ago I was looking after some kids who I told off and they told their mother I hit them!!!!) so I'm on my guard all the time in these situations!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Irresponsible to let kids of that age play on the road without supervision. I live in a cul de sac and people still drive too quickly up it!! Also extremely rude to let them damage other people's property like that. You have every right to be upset!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live right across from a park and the last few weeks there have been heaps of kids there unsupervised or riding down the street on the scooters/bikes with no helmets and when u go past they turn and give you the finger... I always slow down going past them.. Last week there was a couple of probably two year olds playing on the st by the park and I came around the corner and nearly hit one....
    Friends of ours have what hubby calls hippy style parenting, their kids came around here with them for dh's birthday as well as some other friends and their two boys(our babys god parents) who are so well behaved, we'd brought them Xmas present as we weren't going to be seeing them Xmas day and they were playing with them happily till these other kids showed up and kept taking them off them and eventually broke one of the . The parents didn't apologize or tell their kids off dh was fuming because as he saw it they should have asked to play with them and not taken them off the other two.. I felt so bad for our close friends two boys one is only 2 and he was devastated that his toy was broken. We went round to the hippy parents place the other week and one of the boys was out on their roof, 2 story house and he was out on the roof playing!! He just got told that he shouldn't have been up there! If that was our child he would have been smacked on the bum and sent to his room. But he was allowed to keep playing outside...

It always surprises me how some parents are with their kids.. We have friends that were you g parents and are so disciplined with their two but the. We have the other end of the scale where they just let then run riot...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Kids playing on the road is dngerous and makes me cranky! I would have said to the parents "cars are supposed to be on the road, kids aren't!"

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the risk of being the "that's what kids do" person...

Re the kids playing on the road unsupervised - if you lived on a main road it would be different, but since it's a cul-de sac I think it's pretty normal, we live on a cul-de-sac and kids are always out there playing, including DD. My siblings and I used to play on the street all the time as kids, it was perfectly normal 20 years ago and I don't see what's so different now.

However, damaging your property is definitely not on, and even worse for the parents to have a go at you.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

missie_mackxxxx  (08-04-2012),twotrunks  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BerylsMum View Post
    my kids play in the cul de sac all day. i would rather that than tv and video games. i would pay if my kids broke anything.we had a cricket ball go through our window 2 weeks ago and the neighbours paid for it.my kids say hello to people. they are aware of stranger danger but they are not terrified.i think you should organise a meeting with the parents so you can set some boundaries.
    This.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shelle65 View Post
    At the risk of being the "that's what kids do" person...

Re the kids playing on the road unsupervised - if you lived on a main road it would be different, but since it's a cul-de sac I think it's pretty normal, we live on a cul-de-sac and kids are always out there playing, including DD. My siblings and I used to play on the street all the time as kids, it was perfectly normal 20 years ago and I don't see what's so different now.

However, damaging your property is definitely not on, and even worse for the parents to have a go at you.
    I played I the street as a kid too BUT we always moved when a car came and we always made sure we weren't ear cars or windows or anything that could be damaged and at least one of our fathers was our playing with us... I've seen the mother lounging by their pool, back to the kids while they are on the road and that is about as close to being supervised ad they have ever come.
    It's the fact that no responsibility is or was taken and it actually upsets me how young their children are (note the older children were just visiting)
    No sorry from the kids when it happened, in fact if I hadn't have gone out there they would have continued playing and probably hit the car again because they have no sense of what they did was wrong. No apology from the parents, just smart mouthed comments from inside their yard. My husband said to the mother "you might want to supervise your children so the rest of the neighbourhood doesn't have to" the response ..... "well aren't you charming"...... Umm ok??
    So it's not the road thing that is the issue here, it's all the little things that go with it.