+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help! Neighbours....

Please do not attack me because I do not have children and 'may not understand' I am posting here to get advice from parents because you will know better then me...

The neighbours across the road moved in about 18 months ago, and from day dot the 2 young children are often outside from 6am onwards week days and weekends and majority of the time they are unsupervised.

The main problem is they seem to have no boundaries - a few weeks after moving in the young boy about 6 walked up to my FIL who was in our garage and asked him for $10 and said he would draw him a picture - cute to some but in today's world I think it is a bit risky. The little girl who inly started prep this year is always on their grass and says hello to every one that walks past, again cute to some but I'm not sure how I would feel about my 4 year old being outside on her own talking to strangers
    I would have thought these kids would know about stranger danger by this age?
    Anyway other little things like hat have happened and we have also noticed other things like them being on the road unsupervised, not moving off the road when cars come, playing in their parents cars outside their house (I'm so scared one is going to back over the other ) things like that.... I don't know if these things are normal because I'm not a parent... I guess everyone has their own views.

So this morning 2 car loads of visitors turn up. There are 3 boys ages maybe 6, 9 and 10 or 11 playing
    In the street with a football (we live in a coulder-sac)
    We are doing renos to our house so our garage is a storage unit, our cars live on the driveway normally but today they are on the road because we are sorting out stuff in the garage.
    My FIL drives a 1970 valiant and the first time the ball hit it it brushed down the side, we let that slide, the second time it hit the rear quarter on the tail light, my FIL told them to watch the cars, he was in no way nasty when he said it, they stared at him blankly and kept playing right between his car and my husbands HSV. The ball then hit right on the valo's roof - it is dented, there is also a dirty ball mark on the side of DHs car which had a $400 cut/polish and clay bar treatment yesterday.
    I went out an told them to get their ball and get back to their own house, and how dare you touch and destroy other people's belongings.
    I was yelling because I was angry and the blatant disrespect for people's instructions and their property.
    Next thing all the parents come and stand on their front porch and yell out to us from about 150m away, asking us what our problem is, my FIL told them what the kids had done and then the smartar$e responses started, telling us we can't speak to their kids like that and our cars shouldn't be parked on the road anyway so it's our fault if they get damaged. Yes fair enough we park them their at our own risk, but ask any cop and thy will tell you that kids shouldn't be playing on the road especially when they are not supervised (you can't see he road from inside their house) so i see it as a mixture of fault but still, if you are told to be carefully around someone's property wouldnt you move away from said property.... They aren't even playing outside of their own house - possibly because of the visitors cars being on the road??

Obviously nothing criminal has happened so we can't call the police, but I would like to get the message through to these parents that their children are reckless, behave in dangerous ways, and they can't play on the road without an adult watching them.

As a parent or even not, please tell me if this is all normal, or what you would do?
    Last edited by siege; 08-04-2012 at 10:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That would do my head in! There is such a thing as having 'quiet enjoyment' of your property. It's painful when neighbours lifestyles infringe on your quiet enjoyment regardless of it being kids, cars, parties etc.. I'm not sure about the legalities but if you dent someone else's car shouldn't you pay for it??

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (09-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Omg I understand your frustrations. I've had neighbours like this (no children in our house either).
    It's very annoying when their lifestyle impacts on you.
    If they've dented your car they should fix it.
    Perhaps at a convenient time you could meet with them to try and discuss it. It might be difficult but it might help sort out some of the issues. The street doesn't belong to them either!!! Perhaps a compromise could be worked out.
    On the other hand you can notify your local council and they will be given a warning about noise pollution and disturbing the peace. Much the same way that if a dog is incessantly barking you can report it.
    What a pain! I feel for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Id never let my DD do any of the above!! I would be furious tbh! I don't like parents who let there kids roam the streets unsupervised and talk to strangers! Call me paranoid but I don't care really, far from what I aim to accomplish as a parent.

In future keep your car in your driveway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sorry If this offends anyone, but... They sound like a prime example if what is wrong with society today! Raising kids with no/minimal boundaries, not teaching them respect or manners, not owning up to the results of their careless actions. And having mummy and daddy come out and defend their carelessness, teaching them what they have done is right and ok. I bet if their kid ever got clipped by a car from playing on the road, they'd probably blame the driver!

Hopefully you don't have to have too many run ins with them.

7. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MoonMoon For This Useful Post:

betherina  (08-04-2012),bushbabies  (09-04-2012),Eko  (09-04-2012),fairyflossfairy  (09-04-2012),Gruffalo  (09-04-2012),kriista  (08-04-2012),madreader  (08-04-2012),Mallie  (09-04-2012),VicPark  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Peanut, you are so right!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like the kids are left to their own devices all right! I would never let my kids play outside on the street nor let them play in our cars.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

millie91  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Next time their car is on the street maybe u should accidently have a rock go into the window while ur mowing and refuse to pay for it.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyGuts For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be extremely embarrassed and apologetic if my kids did that, wow! I'd offer to pay for it and get the kids to make it up by doing helpful jobs.

I agree with PP's comment about boundaries and todays society.

You should have the right to park your car on the street!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, that would annoy me too. We live in a shared driveway type situation, and some kids from down the road used to ride their bikes on our driveway. I had no problem with it, at least they weren't on the road. Until the day that one of them tried to steal DS's bubble wand that I had left on the park bench on our front porch. I went out and told him it wasn't his and that he should leave.

Low and behold, he and his sister were back a few days later and this time I let him get hold of the bubble wand so I knew it was definitely what he was doing. I then followed them home and knocked on the door, told their mother what they had been doing and all she said was "Oh, ok" while the kids stood behind her. Once she closed the door, I heard her say "Whatever. Ok guys, it's tea time go and wash your hands". Nice!

If they had damaged our cars, I'd hate to know what DF would have done!!!