+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default your thoughts... am I getting the shake off...?? be honest!

Hi All

Just seeking some objective advice!

I recently (5 months) ago started a new position in the town I moved to. Having work is really a financial necessary for us and I love my work (I'm a scrub nurse). Early on my boss and floor manager had confirmed that I didn't have to worry about my position in the company but recently some of my shifts have been cut (I am permanent part time) and as I work in theatre when there are no cases they 'voluntarily' ask you to take leave (as there is no income from surgeries coming in).

well I've just found out today that I've got two shifts cancelled in the next two weeks and I'm also not being paid the public holiday for anzac day. I'm starting to feel really dispensable and feeling paranoid that as my six month probation is coming up that maybe they are going to get rid of me... its a little crazy as I work hard, turn up on time and they've invested two weeks of new education (as I took over a completely new area of surgery for them) into me so far!

what do you guys think... am I being paranoid? My hubby reckons I'm just getting ansy as my probation is coming up and I just want the certainty of work. They also have me training in new areas so it all doesn't add up!!

Would love your thoughts!! Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    MMM hard to say but fingers crossed it is not what your thinking.

It's a good sign they have invested in training for you though that is a good sign

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi I can understand why your concerned but do think you have anything to worry about. They wouldn't invest in education if they were thinking of letting you go. Sounds like you work in a private hospital or clinic and if there are no theatre case then don't need the staff. Also they mist have to share that around (sometimes there sent enough people that want up leave). Are you not getting paid the penalties for Anzac day because your not work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think they are, if there is no surgery scheduled there is no work for you so you can't expect to get paid?!

Can you pick up ward work?!

I agree with your DH you are getting antsy as its close to your probation!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, I think it sounds like they have no reason to get rid of you, and that you may just be a bit jittery.
    The fact they have invested time and training in you, to get rid of you would be a massive financial loss. They would have to recruit another person ($$$) as well as then train them as well (more $$$) so if there is no reason to get rid of you then they won't.
    Have you had any sort of feedback from your managers, progress reports or anything?

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my opinion it is not personal but money saving initiatives. However, you have bills to pay and a family to keep so u need to know where u stand. Ask ur manager to have a chat before or after a shift so that u can make other plans if the work isn't coming in...like taking some relief general ward work etc. I would let her know u love your job but you r worried that the flow of work is drying up and you need to have back up plans... Ask her for suggestions. Ask her if she is happy with your work. You r entitled to know how you could improve.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default thanks

hi guys

thank you for your responses, it is really good to have objective thoughts on the topic.

I'm not getting paid Anzac day but I always work on wednesdays, and I noticed on the roster (as its an open rostering system) that most other people are being paid for the day.

Also I have received good feedback so far, nothing bad so that's whats made me feel a bit confused and yes ansy, I think your probably right that its just with probation coming up.

Maybe the worst part is I've been on annual leave and they have not discussed these things with me. Anyway I'm bailing up the manager on wednesday when she's in to get to the bottom of things. and I think since I'm only three weeks off finishing probation I'll talk to her about how they see my future etc (Nicely of course!) regardless of them not talking to me about my shifts, the majority of the time I do love my job!!

and yes your right, its a private hospital, so its all budget budget budget!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'd say if you haven't received any negative feedback then you are doing all the right things