Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Elective c-section for first child (public)

Hi! First time poster, long time reader

I was hoping to get some feedback from some recent new mothers - my partner and I are thinking of TTC, but I have abnormal fears of a VB, which I won't go into here. My question is will I be able to choose a c-section via public for my first? I've seen conflicting reports everywhere so I'm hoping to get some RL & recent feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    You would have to fight hard for it. You would need a psych to sign off on it. I would suggest you would have to see psych through out pregnancy for them to take you seriously.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

punkster  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    You would have to fight hard for it. You would need a psych to sign off on it. I would suggest you would have to see psych through out pregnancy for them to take you seriously.
    This. It is possible but very unusual
    without medical/psychological reasons which need to be backed up via professionals, good luck

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

punkster  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had one in a public hospital,she was my first, didnt have too much of a problem with it.Just had to convince one guy. I told him about my history of sexual abuse and my past and he said okay no problem.

Where abouts are you? I had mine in Sydney.

Im tired of these people saying 'No, no public hospital will do it' (not you hopeful) because they just dont know, it's all about finding someone who understands your worries and concerns.

You need to make them realise that if they say no, you will just go to the next hospital, and the next, whatever it takes to get your c section.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

punkster  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    I had one in a public hospital,she was my first, didnt have too much of a problem with it.Just had to convince one guy.
    Thanks GothChick - I live in Brissy, and I would probably be going to RBWH.

You can see why I'm so confused, since people have had very different experiences, I suppose I will just have to wait and see?

I'm glad to hear that you didn't have any big issues with yours.

Still hopeful to hear more stories of mothers who have made their choice regarding c-sections so easily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had my first in a public hospital in Brisbane. It was for similar reasons as you I guess. Although I must say it was 7 years ago now.

I talked to a midwife who then said well next appt we will make sure you see a consultant as they are the one who would make that decision. I spoke with her and got booked in for 2 weeks later.

I guess it took so long for the decision to be made, and all that time I was told no you will have to have the baby naturally.

Once I spoke to the consultant it was easy

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews

Default I'm choosing a C-section too, need advice?

Hi I just read your posts and I'm in the same boat.
    I'm pregnant with my first and I want to choose a elective c-section as well and all the info I find on this is people writing in and saying that unless your private you can't choose to have a elective c-section.
    This is making me nervous as I'm planning to tell my midwife next month when I will be 14 wks that thats what i want. I'm scared she's going to say no?
    My reason for wanting one is, from 5wks pregnant I have been suffering Hypermesis a really bad form of morning sickness, and have had to stay in hospital on drips that many times i'm exhausted.
    I'm due in October and I'm still sick. From 6wks I was seeing a pregnancy psychiatrist through the hospital to help me deal with the sickness and the hormones ect..
    I've read up on c-section and know the risks and I'm fine, I'm 100% sure thats what I want and I'm worried i'm going to be told no.
    My hospital is manly in sydney. I cant find any info on this

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm the same as you. I'm 22 weeks at the moment and had a few very stressful depressing times when we first got pregnant because it was so exciting but then there was those fears I won't go into how much they affected me and continue to but im finding ways to enjoy the pregnancy. I speak a lot to my GP even though I'm not doing shared care because she seems to understand and has reassured me that even in the public healthcare system you have a choice as to if you have a c section or not - she has told me that they will try to make you believe otherwise as they are very anti c section and pro vaginal birth but considering things like your mental and emotional state it may be enough to convince them that a c section is actually a safer way to birth the baby. Theres a lot of controversy on this topic but that's what shes told me. You just need to prove that you also understand the risks of the surgery etc which of course you would if you were seriously considering it do your research. No one can tell you you have to give birth vaginally although they do need medical reason for you wanting a c section (mental and emotional counts)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Where I live, you will have a very tough time to find an OB who will give you an elective c-section without a valid medical/mental reason. If it is a mental issue, you need a psych assessment done. So abnormal fear of a VB would be one of those cases where they would need you to go talk to a psych.
    We only have 4 OB's in this town and they are all very much against elective cesareans.

Madame Mayhem is offline Who you are is who you should be, don't change for anyone
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by loving6 View Post
    Unfortunatly, this was my experience with my first... I had to fight tooth and nail to get to see an OB, and in the end the only reason my MW agreed to make the appointment was because the hospital Psych advised it was in my best interest to have a c section... But when I actually got the appointment with the OB, completely different story, I walked in, she asked me why i wanted it and told me risks etc then asked me what date was good for me and that was it it was booked in.

good luck I hope when it comes to the time everything goes well