+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    yeah it's different, I know that you can't eat the processed sliced stuff, but I also thought that chopped up, actual chicken breast stored cold was a risk as well? Like what you might use from a left over roast? I think it's the fact that it's been cooked and then chilled and eaten cold?
    Here is what it say's in a pamphlet I have from the hospital about Listeria.

High Risk Food:
    > deli meats which are eaten with or without further cooking or heating, such as pate, ham, strass and salami, and cooked diced chicken (as used in sandwich shops).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, but you were going to reheat it, weren't you?

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peoniesarepretty View Post
    Yes, but you were going to reheat it, weren't you?
    Yes I was going to re-heat it. The last posts are in regards to other PP's as the topic went on to exactly what is safe when it comes to roast chicken, eg, serving cold the next day and Listeria risks.
    I'm still not convinced that buying a pre-cooked roast chicken to store in the fridge over night is safe during pregnancy, which was my original question. Plus when they store it in the warmer at the deli I just wasn't comfortable with eating it.
    I'm going to stick with a fresh chicken cooked in my own oven at home

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Listeria in roast chicken?????

Listeriosis is very different from good old fashioned gastro/food poisoning....
    Listeriosis is a form of food poisoning, gastro is not. Yes listeria can possibly occur in cold meats so would only be an issue if the chicken , not freshly prepared isnt heated to a minimum of 70 degrees I think it is.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to CheekyChicken For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought it was an absolute no no. Just go the home cooked roast chicken until bub is born.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Artful For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    check the time written on the bag.
    I used to work in the deli and i would say yes but i wouldnt buy them if they have been there more then an hour.
    They cook all day so if they have the oven on ask how long till the next batch comes off.
    or make them do a temp check in the breast bone right infront of you if its under 80 degrees dont buy it, the other option is buy it take it home and microwave it so you know its nice and hot.

HTH

9. The Following User Says Thank You to HoldingOn For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about a baked ham? I know we are not meant to eat the deli variety, but what if it is baked fresh?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Johanna1980 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No as it's not baked on the premisses it's processed and shipped in. Or do u mean at home? If u do it urself it's fine

13. The Following User Says Thank You to HoldingOn For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChicken View Post
    Listeriosis is a form of food poisoning, gastro is not. Yes listeria can possibly occur in cold meats so would only be an issue if the chicken , not freshly prepared isnt heated to a minimum of 70 degrees I think it is.
    Listeriosis and gastro are types of food poisoning.
    Food stored in the danger zone between 4 and 65 degrees can potentially grow food poisoning bacteria. (CSIRO says 5-60 degrees, but the first set includes a margin for error.)

In the case of chicken that hasn't been heated enough (i.e. kept at less than 65 degrees), e.g. all the way through the stuffing, the issue is with Salmonella, not Listeria. Salmonella poisoning starts 1-3 days after eating the food, and lasts as gastro for another 2-4 days. Salmonellosis is not safe for pregnant women, but it isn't as sneaky an illness as Listeriosis.

Listeria is a concern with food that hasn't been cooled enough (i.e. kept at more than 4 degrees). Although it should all have been killed during cooking, it may come back on board after cooking through cross contamination with other contaminated foodstuffs. The opportunities for cross contamination are plentiful in a deli environment.

(Salmonella loves 37 degrees, Listeria prefers cooler environmental-type temps.)

If the store bought chicken was (a) cooked properly and (b) stored hot OR cold enough after cooking, and (c) not recontaminated after cooking then it will be fine.
    The risk is that those three things aren't under your personal control, but a store observing proper food handling practices would be selling safe chook.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (08-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post

In the case of chicken that hasn't been heated enough (i.e. kept at less than 65 degrees), e.g. all the way through the stuffing, the issue is with Salmonella, not Listeria. Salmonella poisoning starts 1-3 days after eating the food, and lasts as gastro for another 2-4 days. Salmonellosis is not safe for pregnant women, but it isn't as sneaky an illness as Listeriosis.

Listeria is a concern with food that hasn't been cooled enough (i.e. kept at more than 4 degrees). Although it should all have been killed during cooking, it may come back on board after cooking through cross contamination with other contaminated foodstuffs. The opportunities for cross contamination are plentiful in a deli environment.

(Salmonella loves 37 degrees, Listeria prefers cooler environmental-type temps.)

If the store bought chicken was (a) cooked properly and (b) stored hot OR cold enough after cooking, and (c) not recontaminated after cooking then it will be fine.
    The risk is that those three things aren't under your personal control, but a store observing proper food handling practices would be selling safe chook.
    Yes. Salmonella loves chicken and eggs but getting it will make you sick not the bub. That's why I was confused by the OPs concern over listeria in roast chooks.

Salmonella will give you the god awful trots but no toxin crosses the placenta.

Listeria doesn't like heat and will die when reheated but often the toxin remains.