+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wouldn't trust it either.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-04-2012)

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I will eat them fresh but not re-heated. You could get a raw pre-prepared chook and pop it in the oven, or pieces as others have suggested as it's just for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Savingfishfromdrowning For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would only eat one from one place I trust, where they BBQ then over flames and butterfly them.

I would not eat one from a deli - pregnant or not. I don't like how they sit around for ages. Blerg!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wippy For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've been eating them all the time throughout this pregnancy. The ones I buy are piping hot so I doubt any listeria would survive. I then put straight into the fridge when I'm done. I will then eat the next day on a sandwich. But never 2 days later. I'm been so careful with everything else like cheeses and don't eat deli meats but I have never thought twice about roast chicken.

As long as you buy them piping hot and either from the fish and chip shop or a supermarket that stamps the time they were cooked on the bag then I'm not worried.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lolz83 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheekyChicken View Post
    If its really hot you can't get listeria, you might still get food poisoning. I would probably buy some lovely lamb cutlets, or some chicken pieces and bake those instead. You would have to throw away all the remaining BBQ crook after reheating anyway so just get a lovely expensive cutof meat for yourself!
    Listeria in roast chicken?????

Listeriosis is very different from good old fashioned gastro/food poisoning....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-04-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Well, I bit the bullet and bought a whole raw chicken to roast myself. Have invited my dad over for dinner so he can help DS and I eat it, lol..
    With having mainly only cooked vego food in this house I've never roasted a chook myself Just done leg of lamb or a beef roast in the past..Or bought the BBQ already done for me! Hope the chicken doesn't have any gunk inside.. I know I must sound so clueless

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Izzys Mummy View Post
    Listeria in roast chicken?????

Listeriosis is very different from good old fashioned gastro/food poisoning....
    Roast chicken fresh from the oven, served piping hot, wont harbour Listeria (as far as I know). It's when you mess around with left overs, incorrect re-heating etc that it might be a concern. I know in all of the Listeria info I've ever come across they say to avoid chopped up, cold roast chicken, like the type they might serve on sandwiches from a salad bar, which I why I wasn't 100% about buying a pre-cooked roast from the deli to store at home and re-heat etc.
    Who knows if they keep it at the correct temp?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    Roast chicken fresh from the oven, served piping hot, wont harbour Listeria (as far as I know). It's when you mess around with left overs, incorrect re-heating etc that it might be a concern. I know in all of the Listeria info I've ever come across they say to avoid chopped up, cold roast chicken, like the type they might serve on sandwiches from a salad bar, which I why I wasn't 100% about buying a pre-cooked roast from the deli to store at home and re-heat etc.
    Who knows if they keep it at the correct temp?
    But isn't a hot roasted chook very different from deli sliced cold roast chicken? The American preg association ok's roast chicken subs on their website.

Ive never worried about roasted chooks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But isn't a hot roasted chook very different from deli sliced cold roast chicken? The American preg association ok's roast chicken subs on their website.

The danger is when cooked (or raw) food is stored in the so called "danger zone" when it is not hot enough or cold enough to stop bacteria from forming..

A freshly roasted chook - fine,
    A roasted chook that has been sitting in a heating rack or Bain Marie - risky.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 2girls1boyplus1 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Yes a HOT roast chicken is different to cold deli chicken, but cold next day roast chicken is pretty much the same, the problem isn't the way it is cooked but how/how long it is stored.
    It is also hard to know which stores practice correct procedure with temps and throw out times, ALL of the time.

"Red Meat and Chicken
    All meat and chicken need to be thorougly cooked through or well done - so no more rare roast beef. Chicken especially should not be eaten cold the next day. "

http://www.urbanbaby.com.au/Useful-I...-When-Pregnant

Good luck with your roast BMJandBaby!!
    Last edited by RobinSparkles; 07-04-2012 at 20:18.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to RobinSparkles For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (07-04-2012)