+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was told last week that the guidelines around introducing solids is changing to 4-6 months. Every child is different but I'll be looking to introduce a bit earlier than 6 months because he is showing an interest in food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Since introducing solids DD has gone from 1 a day to 3! Don't be scared to start solids if you think he's ready. I tried at 4 months and felt she wasnt ready so tried again at 5 and she shoved it down. Sticking them in a high chair with food and letting them feed themselves is a great way to amuse them for an hour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With my first the cyh nurse explained between 4 -6 months. If bub showing signs early, then go for it, otherwise wait until months.
    Yep, think this doctor could do with some coming down to reality and dealing with the common people. Very rude.
    Glad you found out bub had a poo though!! )

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    My DS is two days younger than yours OP (I remember being slightly jealous that you were having your bub, not knowing that mine was planning on arriving not long after!!) and he's been on solids since just after four months. The Paed and all the MCHNs we've spoken to have recommended anytime after four months. Just do what you are comfortable with - if your DS is showing interest and you are ready, do it, but if not, don't worry. I don't think solids will have any affect on the lack of poos - don't solids increase the chance of constipation?

My DS is fully breastfed with a small amount of solids each day - sometimes just a spoonful and he is no longer interested and sometimes two tablespoons. Before solids and now he sometimes poos every day and sometimes goes up to three days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is about the same age too.

We have been told to start solids any time from 4 months (by a "paediatric GP", ie a just a gp, but one that only sees kids )

I was planning on not starting until
    6 months, but DD is SUPER keen!

She definitely seems ready (can sit up in a bumbo, good head control, interested in feeding), & we are doing BLW, so she is in charge of what she does/n't have.

I think at this age they are all so different though, and some may be ready, and some not - I don't think there is a real right or wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was researching this last night and came across a very compelling article from Kelly mom which outlines why the WHO, UNICEF and the Australian National Health and Medical Research Council all recommend waiting until at least 6 months before starting solids. Two of the main reasons being increased immunity for bubs and giving bub's digestive track enough time to mature.

She gives some really practical tips on how to involve your baby at mealtimes without starting solids. I'd highly recommend the article.

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../delay-solids/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If your bub had colic I'd definitely stay away from solids. We're having a lot of trouble introducing solids to our dd who had colic cause lots of foods are upsetting her and causing bad constipation. Yep, constipation & solids do go hand in hand and so starting solids if bubs is already constipated probably isn't a great idea.

My dd was pooing 8+ times a day for a while (?3 months) then dropped back to a few a day, then once every few days, then back to 6 or so a day. She was exclusively BF all the time through this. Bub's poo frequency changes a lot and it has nothing to do with needing to start solids.

I knew my dd needed to start solids cause she literally started grabbing our food out of our hands and trying to eat it. And crying and mouthing when we were eating if our food was out of her reach. Those behaviours started in mild form shortly after 5 months, but reached fever pitch a week before 6 months which is when she started solids ... which she loves!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Guidelines have changed from 6mths back to 4 months now but it's really up to you and whether you think bub is ready. It's completely normal for BF babies to go weeks without pooing
    Mine let's off lots of stinks instead!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Plod1608 View Post
    Guidelines have changed from 6mths back to 4 months now but it's really up to you and whether you think bub is ready. It's completely normal for BF babies to go weeks without pooing
    Mine let's off lots of stinks instead!
    This is a common misconception. http://consultations.nhmrc.gov.au/fi...tion111212.pdf
    2.1.4.2 Infants
    Exclusive breastfeeding is recommended for around the first six months of age, after which solid (pureed or spoon) foods of suitable texture can be introduced.
    In Australia, ‘around six months’ for exclusive breastfeeding is used to acknowledge that different infants develop at different rates. 22 – 26 weeks is considered to be “around six months”
    The draft posted states 22-26 months to start solids, (to cover most infants) as being "around" 6 months.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to trishalishous For This Useful Post:

Windupbird  (24-05-2012)