+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Would you start solids? Almost 5 month old pooing less

DS2 was a colicky bub. He was having runny poos pretty consistently for the past month or so but the past week he hasn't had anything more than a skid mark or two. He's very happy and healthy. He is teething up a storm though and the front two bottom teeth have moved a lot this past week. He is fully breastfed.

I spoke to a doctor from 1300 health (being Easter no appts available nearby) who said he obviously should be on solids. He's not concerned about the lack of poops but thinks solids are the answer.

I've always gone by the advice that 6+ months is when solids should be introduced.

Would you start them due to the lack of poop or think it's more related to teething?

A lot of what I've read says solids at this age can cause constipation rather than cure it.
    Last edited by CluckySC; 07-04-2012 at 13:17.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Tbh, since bub is bf exclusively, s/he can't be constipated, and may just be saving up a nice poonami for you.

I don't understand why the doc says he should obviously be on solids. Advice is to wait until six months. If you feel bub is ready to try solids, then go for it. Otherwise, continue on with bf until you think ready.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Btw, my ds is bf and has runny poos all the time too. Nothing to do with colic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's what I thought with it being too soon. When I said "but all the recommendations say not to start until after six months" he got cranky and said "so I hope you plan you have 2.5 children and do everything you're told if you can't see that babies are different." lovely

Am worried about the week with no poos rhough

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD3 only pooped once every 5 days while bf'ing!
    I dont understand docs comments either. How do you feel about it? You know your bubba the best. If he's happy and content I would continue with b/f only.

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Poo or the lack of it is not a sign that solids are required, neither is age. If your baby is happy and content, just keep doing what you are doing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the poos become less with age. My DD used to poo constantly all day now she can go a few days without. Fully breastfed also. I agree with moongazer I thought bf can't get constipated.

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't understand how the doc can say he's not concerned about the lack of poo but he thinks introducing solids is the answer.. If there is no concern, why does he need a solution??

If bub seems content and well settled (as well as usual) I don't see why you would consider introducing solids..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all will hold off I think.

And am more relaxed now about the poo situation... Rang my mother to ask her opinion and she apparently changed a pooey nappy of his on Wednesday. Didn't tell me until I wasted $35 on a silly doctor but none the less I'm relieved!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    that doctor sound like he needs a refresher course in a) talking to people and b)who infant reccomendations