+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Stretch and Sweep?

Hi all
    This coming Thursday I will be 39 weeks pregnant (baby no.1). The midwife said at my appointment last week that i will be offered a stretch and sweep if I would like one and that they have a 50% chance of working within 24-48 hours.

I was wondering what everyones experiences were with this. Is it really that successful? Is it worth the pain/discomfort? Is the discomfort comparable to a papsmear or worse? and is there any pain afterwards?

Apparently baby is engaged but i dont think ive felt any braxton hicks at all! So i dont think he has any intention of coming out soon...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldnt say theres a success rate. What it does is help to unlodge your mucous plug. If the plug comes out(which can occur anytime after the sweep or may nit at all), labor will begin within 72 hrs usually. I dont recall feeling anything.

Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    At 39weeks i woulodnt be getting one unless there is a medical reason to do it. I had one at 40+5 as my bp was very high i needed to have the bub...it didnt work, i was induced the next day (drip and ARM). I was 2 cms when they did it. It was uncomfortable tbut not painful, although ive heard many women say it was HORRIBLY PAINFUL.

Personally id be waiting til at least your due date before having one unless of course theres a medical reason for needing to have bub now. I personally think any form of induction including strech and sweep shouldnt be offered (unless there is a medical reason, eg high bp etc) before your due date.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I got mine done at 38+4 weeks. Offered by my midwife and I said okay. DD arrive at 38+6 so I guess it did work? Otherwise it was also the from the walking I did. Overall it wasnt uncomfortable or painful but I have a high tolerance for pain. Its different for everyone. I have a friend get S&S (twice) and it didnt work. She was induced at 40+5. I dont think I helped but that was my experience.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh whilst its being done theres a bit of discomfort. I guess like a papsmear. I also spotted afterwards.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had one at about 41 weeks with DS, he was born at 42 weeks (induced by ARM only).

Had one at 39 weeks with DD (my request) and was already 2cm dilated, but she didn't arrive until 41 weeks (spontaneous labour).

Didn't appear to work either time for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh, and with DS it was a little uncomfortable, but with DD I barely felt it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Over the years I had at least 10 (over 5 babies) and not one has worked for me. I often find they will insist on doing a s&s before they will give a induction via gel or drip.
    I don't find them painful at all just a little uncomfy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I wouldn't bother with a s&s until I was well over my due date. With ds I had one at 41+4 because my cervix were soft and tbh I was sick of the hospital annoying me. I went into labour 6 hours later so it may have worked but it could have been the walking I had been doing, the acupuncture, the pineapple and curries I ate, the s*x I had etc etc. If everything is going ok and you're travelling well then let bubby have the last few days to finish ripening.

Discomfort: 3/10
    Last edited by BbBbBh; 07-04-2012 at 15:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had one at 40+4 and it was a little painful. It was done at 9am and by the time I got home 30 minutes later I was having pains and spotting. I was not even 1 cm dilated but they still did it. I ended up going into labour by 7pm and had bub the next morning. So for me it did work. Although I don't think I would do it again, even thinking about it now makes me feel yuk!!!