+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We drove down at Christmas time and the kids were 5, 3 and 1 so it is definately doable. We will do it again after Christmas this year as it is just too expensive to fly.
    We overnighted in Port Macquarie on the way down but this was only because we didn't get away from Bisbane until nearly 10am. We dove all the way through coming home as we left at 6 am. We stopped probably almost every 2 hours, some of these were just toilet only stops and others were longer where the kids could run around and have a play in the park and stretch their legs. We didn't seek out particular destinations to stop, just when we felt we needed to.
    It is a good drive now with several bypasses and if you have two drivers it won't be a difficult drive.
    Last edited by kimbo; 07-04-2012 at 21:35. Reason: spelling

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kimbo For This Useful Post:

littlegreengeisha  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My Mum used to drive my sister and I to the Gold Coast every year for our annual holidays so it musn't have been too bad for her. When I was a little older I was given a notebook and told to write down every town and whether it had a river or not as part of a "competition" but it was just a ploy of Mums to keep us quiet. My younger sister had to count windmills. If we got to a certain amount, we won prizes.
    I can remember stopping at Port Macquarie as they had some little park thing that had miniature houses and SNow WHite and the 7 dwarfs. I dont know if its still there anymore but does any remember it? The Big Banana at Coffs is always good for a lunch stop and Ballina for the pelican feeding if they still do it.

I'd definitely drive. It's a lot more fun for the kids.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TeenyT For This Useful Post:

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlegreengeisha View Post
    What are some nice stops?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    We did a very slow trip, staying overnight a few times along the way. We just stopped at whichever places we thought looked interesting, as we had about 5 days to do the trip.

From memory, we stopped at Byron Bay (had lunch, looked at some shops & walked up to the lighthouse), Yamba (sleepy little village by the sea but we had a lovely dinner there), Coffs Harbour (checked out some beaches and showed DS the big banana...they have rides & stuff there too), Port Macquarie (some nice places to eat, lovely beachy place. We went to the koala hospital as well and adopted a koala...very sad though. Also visited Timbertown in Wauchope, it's a little heritage village nearby depicting life in the olden days. It's no Sovereign Hill, but interesting nevertheless. DS loved the horse drawn carriage ride), Port Stephens (lovely coastal town), The Entrance (close to Syd, we stopped in to eat and to feed the pelicans. DS had a long play at the playground there).

Enjoy

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

littlegreengeisha  (07-04-2012),MuminMind  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would drive but then again I'm nut and drove from Perth to Melbourne , canberra and back to Perth all in 3 weeks LOL the kids loved it and saw so much and had a blast ! we are going to do it again in the next few years and I can't wait.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to srguitargirl For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It shouldn't be too bad. We travelled by car a lot as children because flights were REALLY expensive and not something people did a lot of back then.

We stopped at various touristy spots and played games like Spotto or Eye Spy or whatever... when I was 6 we travelled from Victoria to Qld by car, stayed a week, then drove to NSW to live there. My brother was 4-5 at that stage. That was probably our longest car trip, but we'd often go between states.

I think you'll manage even easier these days with portable DVD players and iPods and DS things and whatnot... just make sure you've got stuff to keep the kids entertain, food and drink, and some good music (country radio stations are pretty rubbish)... and you should be right. Just make sure to stop many times along the way. I have fond memories of travelling.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    We did a very slow trip, staying overnight a few times along the way. We just stopped at whichever places we thought looked interesting, as we had about 5 days to do the trip.

From memory, we stopped at Byron Bay (had lunch, looked at some shops & walked up to the lighthouse), Yamba (sleepy little village by the sea but we had a lovely dinner there), Coffs Harbour (checked out some beaches and showed DS the big banana...they have rides & stuff there too), Port Macquarie (some nice places to eat, lovely beachy place. We went to the koala hospital as well and adopted a koala...very sad though. Also visited Timbertown in Wauchope, it's a little heritage village nearby depicting life in the olden days. It's no Sovereign Hill, but interesting nevertheless. DS loved the horse drawn carriage ride), Port Stephens (lovely coastal town), The Entrance (close to Syd, we stopped in to eat and to feed the pelicans. DS had a long play at the playground there).
    I've done similar to this on a trip down in the past too. We stopped over in Coffs Harbour for 4 days which was plenty of time to see the whole town.
    We spent a day in a pretty little beach front town. I can't for the life of me remember its name though.
    We continued on to Port macquarie. Spent about 4 days there as well. We went out to Wauchope and sussed out Timber Town as well. It's not too bad of an attraction for young kids especially for something in a small town.
    Then we continued down to Blacksmiths in Lake Maquarie and stayed right near the lake. It was really nice there. The beach is on one side of the hwy and the lake on the other.
    Then we continued on our journey.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenyT View Post
    I can remember stopping at Port Macquarie as they had some little park thing that had miniature houses and SNow WHite and the 7 dwarfs. I dont know if its still there anymore but does any remember .
    Fantasy glades? It's not in port though. ? Kempsy or Forster?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mopoke View Post
    Fantasy glades? It's not in port though. ? Kempsy or Forster?
    That sounds familiar but it was definitely in Port Macquarie when I was a kid. We used to stop there every year. Has it moved?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    A friend done it in 8 hours last week, the rods are really good now that they have ll been fixed up
    There's no way that's true. We did the drive at the end of February and only stopped twice to stretch, toilet and grab some food and it took us over 12 hours with no traffic. 8 hours isn't possible sorry.

OP we stopped at Grafton and Taree on the way there, we could have stopped at port Macquarie but decided to skip it and keep going.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub
    Last edited by Gracie's Mum; 07-04-2012 at 21:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TeenyT View Post
    I can remember stopping at Port Macquarie as they had some little park thing that had miniature houses and SNow WHite and the 7 dwarfs. I dont know if its still there anymore but does any remember it?
    Yes! Fantasy Glades!! We used to love that place. I have no idea if it is still there. It probably wouldn't be the same now we are all grown up.