+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Drive or fly??

So im thinking of planing a trip to sydney... And I just checked out the cost of flying and its alot more expensive than I thought. How bad is driving from brisbane to sydney?? I have one little one and 2 drivers. How long will it take and do you know of any stops I should take?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A friend done it in 8 hours last week, the rods are really good now that they have ll been fixed up

3. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

littlegreengeisha  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It took DH and I almost 14 hours and if you're going to be making regular stops, it'll probably take a little longer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

littlegreengeisha  (07-04-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We drove Townsville to Sydney with a 14 month old. The Brisbane to Sydney leg was a nice drive and straightforward . We made lots of stops (wanted to see a lot along the way!), but the driving time all up would have been about 12 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    A friend done it in 8 hours last week, the rods are really good now that they have ll been fixed up
    What speed were they going?! It's a 950km trip!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

littlegreengeisha  (07-04-2012),SugarSkull  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We drive Melbourne- Adelaide and have driven melb-Sydney, both these are a little shorter than bris-Sydney but still take a full day with stops. I MUCH prefer driving, I have three kids and I find flying really exhausting, maybe coz I'm usually on my own with them but when you drive, you load up the car and yOu go- when you fly, you need to worry about follOwing the rules on the plane (in car 2 yr old cant get seatbelt off), about kids making noise, all the stroller, car seat etc, hiring a car at the other end. I prefer driving.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Witwicky View Post
    We drove Townsville to Sydney with a 14 month old. The Brisbane to Sydney leg was a nice drive and straightforward . We made lots of stops (wanted to see a lot along the way!), but the driving time all up would have been about 12 hours.

What speed were they going?! It's a 950km trip!
    What are some nice stops?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    Wow. It takes everyone I know 11-14 hours depending on stops they take.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree, DH and I did a mercy dash to Brisbane from Sydney, with both of us shift driving, and making only two stops for fuel and coffee, it still took us 11 hours to drive. 8hrs? No way!

If you're going Pacific Hwy, Coffs is a nice place to stop. Park Beach is only 8 blocks from highway. Other than that I couldn't recommend anywhere else since they built all the bypass routes

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I've only ever done bris to newcastle and it takes about 9 hours thats with kids and plenty of stops. Sydney would probably be another hour and a half to 2 hours.

They've upgraded the bulk of the pacific hwy to dual carriage so that has helped to make the trip a lot quicker. Although because they are still upgrading the trip can be slowed down at certain parts due to roadworks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    As for stops we usually stop In ballina, grafton, coffs, kempsey then try to continue on to newcastle as theres nothing in between. We have stopped in taree on one trip and at a roadside rest stop on another. I try to continue on as between kempsey and newy as there is no towns or anything apart from hwy and trees in between.