+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help!! So scared of a choking bubba

Hi all,
    Wondering if anyone had any advice for me on feeding my (just turned) 8 month old bubba.
    She has Been eating solids since she was 6 months but only mash or purees. 3 times a day, sometimes 4.
    I've given her toast before but she has choked on it every time, VERY scary for me.
    I have just started to make her food with tiny lumps in the mash but it scares the hell out of me.
    I know it's important to introduce lumpier and more solid foods but I'm not really sure how or what.
    I hate seeing her choke and it freaks me out.
    What do I do? Anyone?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had a hard time with DS as he seemed to choke pretty easily. I still have to make things bite size or else he stuffs the whole thing into his mouth and gags (he's now 13.5 months, still does it sometimes!)

Now, I am in no way saying to just let her choke BUT I felt better after I saw DS choke a bit and a power spew saved the day by dislodging the blockage. Watching them choke is horrible but once I knew we'd probably be saved by a power spew, I got a bit more brave with what I gave him.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    have youtried baby led weaning? its where bub feeds themselves, and finger foods. dd at that age was eating boiled broccoli florets and carrot sticks, toast, rice, porridge, and never choked as she controlled the food

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    I've done Baby Led Weaning with my little one and it's fantastic. By allowing your baby to feed herself she is very unlikely to choke. Baby's have a very sensitive gag reflex at the front of their mouths, this is like a safety switch which helps prevent them from actually choking (ie; they gag and cough way before it gets to choking stage). There is a big difference between choking and the noisy cough gagging babys often do. When you feed them by spoon yourself you can actually bypass this gag reflex and put the food at the back of baby's throat where she can choke.
    I have found BLW means my bubba eats what we do, I never have to make her special food, she is very advanced with the use of her hands and her fine motor skills, we never have to fight with her to get her to eat what we want her to eat (baby's naturally make very healthy food choices if given a chance), and if we go out we don't have to rush about making sure we have food for her to take with us, and we hope as the BLW book says we will have an adventurous eater in the future.

There is a great book on the subject, and a website. http://www.babyledweaning.com/

I hope that helps and gives you some confidence. Baby's are far smarter and more capable than we give them credit for!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice ladies, makes me feel a lot better. Will start the baby led weaning tomorrow and see how me go. Bring on the food all over the face and in her hair

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just be careful with baby led weaning as well. Every baby is different but DS choked 3 times with baby led weaning.
    If I were you I'd follow your instincts. You know bub best. Just introduce lumpier foods slowly if that makes you feel better. DS is 10 months old and I've only started cutting his food into bite size pieces so he can feed himself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had similar concerns with my DS. I found the best way to get him eating less purées was to cut food into tiny pieces and let him feed himself. That way he is still practicing with chewing and textures but you have the peace of mind knowing they won't take a massive bite of something & choke.

Thankfully though, babies are good with their gag reflex and usually stop themselves from swallowing chunks that are too big.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It sounds more like gagging than choking, which is quite normal

Gagging is the reflex that prevents choking in most cases. If your baby gags when food is in there it's a protective mechanism and eventually this will lessen as they get used to the different textures or the sensation of food on the back of their tongue, and are more able to manoeuvre food within their mouth to stop it accidentally being inhaled or getting stuck.

By sticking with puréed food I fear you may just be adding to the problem as she needs to learn how to chew and swallow , as long as you allow her to pick up food and feed herself ( don't place food or spoons into her mouth ) she should be fine!

It is very stressful but just try and stay positive ( the worse thing to do is actually panic or react negatively as you do not want her to be scared of eating!)

My DS gagged once or twice when starting and I just stayed calm ( choking is silent , they can't breathe, gagging is coughing and spluttering ) and he just spat out the food and pick up a new piece!

Maybe just try some thick cut cucumber sticks to get her used to gnawing and swallowing before starting on other things if that makes you feel better - then try steamed broccoli, corn on the cob is great, banana or avocado cut into wedges so they can hold it- good luck !

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD1 couldn't eat lumpy or textured food for a very long time. She has a very sensitive gag reflex. She ended up going from very pureed food to finger foods. She even used to gag on spaghetti bolognaise and couldn't eat that for years. But could eat rissoles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, DS was actually choking. He was silent, eyes were going red because he couldn't breathe and he was struggling. It happened three times and once we'd get the piece of food stuck, he start breathing and would cry. Wasn't the best experience.
    But every bub is different. Move on from purée's and mush his food with a fork so there's still some chunks in there. When he gets used to that, cut his food and let him feed himself. Like the others have said, he will gag with lumper food but they need to get used to it and bubs do get used to it.