+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Google babybliss. They have PDF 's to look at and you can book in and pay to have someone come to you. That way the babybliss person has the baby and you could settle the toddler if they wake. Best wishes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Crunchie, hope your reading the sleep sense guide by now. My ds went through a stage of waking at 2am and playing not wanting to go back to sleep, he was 7mths. It did pass. Is bub teething? That could be playing a part. If bub isn't sleeping well during the night she is going to be overtired hence the reason she isn't sleeping well during the day either. 2hrs sleep during the day is not enough sleep at that age. Your doing the right thing by trying to make changes too by the way even though you are a wreck, there's never going to be an ideal time.

Mod-biscotti is offline Administrator Administrator
    Winner 2012 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    No negativity here but if his last feed is at 11pm and he gets cuddled back to sleep at 12.30 and then cuddled back to sleep at 2am, and then awake again at 4am, is he genuinely hungry and perhaps waking for a feed at 2am? Would feeding at 2am maybe make a difference to his 4am wake up? His tummy is still pretty little, he really might not be ready yet for so long without another feed?

Sleep deprivation is pretty awful, I do genuinely know how you feel

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-biscotti For This Useful Post:

share a book  (07-04-2012)

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    What about food, how much solids is he on?

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a similar problem, but can I please say don't allow your baby to cry alone for more than 10 minutes. At 6 months he's too young. Baby's need to feel like they can rely on their parents to come to their aid. I'd hate you to just make it worse and develop a clingy child. Ngala strongly recommend not to use 'traditional' controlled crying (so it's not just me bing a hippy ).

We had a professional baby sleep expert help us, and it was like MAGIC. In a week our bubba was sleeping through the night and having 3x2hr sleeps a day.

So here is what she advised:
    Start this at night, not during the day (nights are easier to fix than day naps, so she says to start here).
    Have a bedtime routine so your baby knows he is being prepared for bed. things like:
    *Bath
    *Reading a book
    *Dim lights
    *quiet cuddles with Mum/Dad
    *Singing a calming song
    *Warm bottle
    *Say good night to the dogs/cat/siblings
    Whatever suits your baby and you best

-Have a set bedtime, at this age it should be between 6.30-7.30pm. The same time every night.
    After last cuddle, song whatever say goodnight to baby, put him down to bed awake (don't let him fall asleep on you) and leave the room, even if he starts to cry the moment he realises your putting him to bed.
    -If he is crying, wait 10 minutes. If still crying after 10 minutes, go in, pick him up or reassure him with a pat (my baby needs to be picked up, a pat won't do). The MINUTE he stops crying or becomes mostly calm, put him back down and walk out quietly. Keeping doing the wait 10 minutes, reassure thing until he goes to sleep.
    -Cut out the dream feed (he doen't need it at 6 months). We had the EXACT same thing with my baby. It only took 2 nights for her to forget about the dream feed (I was adamant she needed it, turns out she didn't). You might want to try and feed him a bit extra late in the day to make up for it.
    -So when he wakes for the dreamfeed, first wait 10 minutes, he might fall back asleep, then do the exact same 10 minute, reassure thing as before. He will eventually sleep. The first night or 2 of this will be hard, but persevere, I promise you'll get there.
    12.30 wake up - wait 10 minutes, then reassure, put back down etc, another 10 minutes.
    4am - wait 10 minutes, reassure, put back down etc.

So this will likely be a few nights of not much sleep for you all (toddler too I'm sorry), but if he is only 6 months he should be able to adapt quickly and you'll have a bub who SLEPPS THROUGH THE NIGHT!!!! Within a week. I didn't believe the sleep lady when she said this to me, I was thinking to myself 'yeah right, pull the other one', but she was right. So just tell yourself a few nights of hell and you WILL get your life back.

During the day:
    According to my book I was given, at 6 months, he should be able to stay awake for about 2 hours, and will then need a nap. Keep an eye out for his tired signs at that 2 hour mark. The minute you see one start your nap routine.

-They still need a bedtime ritual. It can be shorter than the night one, but still a couple of key things so bubba knows it's almost bedtime. At my house, I put her in her sleep suit, we read a book, sing a song, and then it's bed. This helped day time naps a lot for me.

-Same deal as at night, put him down, walk away, wait 10 minutes, reassure etc. Do this for as long as it takes to get him off to sleep up to 1 hour. If still crying, get him up, and go about your normal day for half an hour, then try again including the bedtime routine. Try this up to 3 times (apparently rarely needed, sleep usually wins). If after 3x 1hour of trying doesn't work, do whatever you have to do to get him to sleep that doesn't involve you rocking, swaying, holding etc. She said things like a ride in the car, walk in the pram. The idea is you're training him to fall asleep on his own without you doing it for him.

-If he falls asleep, but sleeps less than 1 hour, again do the wait 10 min, reassure, put back down, wait 10 minutes. You are trying to teach him to sleep more than 1 sleep cycle (45min). Only do that for up to an hour (eg: 30 min of baby asleep, 30 min of you trying to get him back to sleep).

-If after an hour in total still awake, get him up for his next 2 hours until it's nap time again.

REPEAT until bedtime.

I hope that helps and make sense. I spend hundreds for someone to tell me the keys is waiting 10 minutes, so I want as many Mums to know as possible just how amazing this technique is.

Good luck, and I hope you give this a go, you'll be a new person once your baby sleeps

all the very best

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Melinkakov For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks Kimberlygal for the book i will download and read today and all for your advice!

He isn't hungry when he wakes and he isn't teething ATM either, he is having 2 solids a day breakfast and dinner and normal poos, he hasn't shown interest in any more. He is a huge bubba, 11.5 kgs weighed this week but is long as well so his height and weight are in line.

After gearing ourselves up for another long night he went down at 7, didn't wake untill 3, fed him he went back to his cot and as I write this at 6:42am he is still asleep!!!! Hubby and I are enjoying a coffee in bed together!

Ooooo the relief of having some sleep!

I am thinking this is a once off but at least we are no longer exhausted ( although DH says he has been awake since 4 as that has been our norm..,,)

I hate to leave him cry, never did with DD and haven't yet with him but I will try what I need to do to get some sleep!

Fingers crossed this is the start of better sleep, or maybe he just sensed he had pushed us to our limits.

Little monkey I can't wait untill he is awake now to give him a cuddle!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to crunchie For This Useful Post:

share a book  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Is it dark in the room he sleeps in? We have crappy thin blinds and the minute the sun begins to rise my two wake up. They tend to wake around 4am, if they wake before it's rising then I can usually get them back to sleep, unless they wake each other properly.

It sounds terrible, but eventually you just adjust to crap sleep. DS is up every 1-2 hours every night, all night. DD is a bit better and only wakes 2 or 3 times. If I manage to get them to nap at the same time then I will nap myself and that makes a big difference for me. But yes, you do get used to it.

From what I've heard in my DIG his sleeping is not unusual for that age. It's possibly his teeth or separation anxiety?

Glad you got some sleep last night though.

lupa is offline I love that I am apart of this club called motherhood
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Dreamfeeds can do two things, most commonly they fill them up enough to last through till morning. OCCASIONALLY they can trigger 4 hourly wakups. If your ds is getting enough to eat I would see how he goes without the dreamfeed and at the first wakeup let him cry it out. My first did so well with the dreamfeed, my second not so much.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Glad you got a good nights sleep!! My youngest was a terrible sleeper and didn't really settle down until she was 12 months old.

I was also going to suggest dropping the dreamfeed and if he wakes later give him a feed, might help him sleep longer in the early hours of the morning. I found I could cope with waking for a feeding, it was when she was unsettled and not wanting a feed or sleep that it was hard work.

Goodluck, hope he sleeps again tonight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We temporarily moved dd into our bedroom while ds was learning to sleep. She was about 29 months old or so. Now she is 4, he is 2.5. They share a room, and she doesnt wake when he wakes in the night.Hope you get some good sleep soon.