+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How to do controlled crying without upsetting other toddler -help !

So DS 6 mo has always been a bad sleeper. He had a virus about 3 weeks ago and since then his sleep pattern is;

7 pm to bed ( goes down easy)
    11 dream feed
    12:30 wake - usually cuddled back to sleep
    2 wake cuddled back to sleep as above
    4 am wake up - party time - will not go back to sleep. Happy when he wakes but if left and ignored will become hysterical, then he is fine all smiles once picked up!

He usually then has normal morning routine of bf solids bf and then is wrecked by 8:30am and sleeps sometimes for an hour sometimes more.

He does nap duing the day but never more than 2 hours all up.

DH and i are exhausted and at our wits end. We have a toddler 20 mo who is a great sleeper and we dont want to upset her routine.

I have a referral to Tressillian in Sydney but they are reluctant to take me as im not depressed... Yet!!!!!!

So seeing as its the long weekend we want to try some CC.

How do we do it without waking DD. There rooms are apart but not very soundproofed.

Or has anyone ny other suggestions on what to do.

Please please please no negativity we are doing our absolute best and are just over it now. We want some rest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Can you send your toddler to a grandparent for a sleepover for a couple of nights? We wound up having to do this with our oldest as we just couldn't settle DD2 without her waking DD1. It is so hard when you've got a baby who wakes a lot and screams and wakes the older children. DD 1 did eventually learn to sleep through DD2's screams (she mainly screamed from colic not cc but the end result was the same).

Good luck and sending you lots of

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It is very difficult with a toddler in the house. My ds1 sleeps through anything luckily but I still worry about ds2 waking him. When I did the controlled crying I did it when dh was away at work and moved ds1 into our room for a few nights. It paid off! If you would like a copy of the sleep sense book I have, pm me your email ad and I will send it to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope no family in this country so no one to send DD to

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your toddler. Should sleep through... My 4yr old does.

Good luck, it's tough. Try Save our Sleep. It gets a bad rap but I used it & loved it.

Don't stress about the haters.

Thanks
    Reviews
    His sleep doesn't seem too bad to me. Have you tried feeding at the 2 or 4am wake up?

If things changed when he got sick, the changes might only be temporary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubbles10 View Post
    His sleep doesn't seem too bad to me. Have you tried feeding at the 2 or 4am wake up?

If things changed when he got sick, the changes might only be temporary.
    He is awake from 4am through to 8:30am.... Then sleeps for only 2 hours during the day...That's pretty bad to me. He doesn't want to feed when he wakes, believe me I've tried.

Your comment has belittled me. I am seeking support, I'm at my wits end, dreading tonight, I'm an emotional wreck ATM.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also suggest trying SOS (save our sleep). She has advice in there for dealing with babies of different ages as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by crunchie View Post
    He is awake from 4am through to 8:30am.... Then sleeps for only 2 hours during the day...That's pretty bad to me. He doesn't want to feed when he wakes, believe me I've tried.

Your comment has belittled me. I am seeking support, I'm at my wits end, dreading tonight, I'm an emotional wreck ATM.

I am sorry you took my comment that way.

wHEN you are an emotional wreck is probably not the best time to attempt to instate changes. It is tough enough when you have energy and support. Can you get some help so you can get some sleep for a few days so you have the energy to make changes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can you take bub into your bed at the last wake up? Or even the one before that? Mine wakes at 5am, no daytime sleep either. She is now nearly 9 and still wakes at 5. That's her natural pattern. Our day simply starts then.