+ Reply to Thread
    bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Gaining Weight

We are on mission weight gain for 5 year old DS.

After reading many many things and talking to Dr and Dietician, there are a few options we can take.

1. A high calorie diet
    2. Poly-Joule
    3. Pediasure

The high calorie diet is pretty straight forward.
    But I was hoping to get some insight into the other 2.

Has anyone used either Poly-Joule or Pediasure before?
    Did it help your child to gain weight?
    Was there any side-effects?

Any info would be super

Nowhere is offline Winner 2007- Most Supportive Of Feeding Other-Than-Breast Award
    Winner 2010- Most Optimistic Poster Award
    Winner 2010- The Most Supportive Member Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    high calorie diet would be a good way to start for sure, polyjoole is a good extra onto thatits a powder you add to foods or drink.

Peadisure is a high calorie formula its a good back up for days of low intake,i would get a script for both aqnd find a balance thatworks

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We used pediasure with dd, only 1 tin a day, and she is on the 25th% line now yay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No help sorry but curious as to the weight/size of your 5 year old and if there are any other medical issues or he's just a lightweight?

Curious because my own 5 year old DS is on the small and skinny side (15kg, not sure of his height but one of the smallest preps at school) and while usually we don't worry about it he's had a few colds lately and gastro this week and being so lean he just doesn't have any reserves for when things like this happen and takes a while to recover. DH wants to try and fatten him up by sneaking protein powder into smoothies etc and I'd like to help him bulk up too but hard when he's not a big eater - he isn't overly fussy and eats a good variety but just small amounts, even with 'treats' that he begs for he'll have a few bites and then say he's had enough and go off and play (and my DD who is 2 is much the same). Mind you my brother was the same at that age and has the opposite problem now as an adult - possibly because mum in her worry went too far on the wrong type of high calorie foods and gave him a junk food addiction!

So just wondering how skinny your boy actually is and if there was an actual medical reason the Dr suggested more concerted efforts to increase his weight or if you just have a lightweight like mine. Maybe I should worry more.

Good luck either way!

bambino is offline Autistic Today, My Genius Tomorrow
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My 5 year old is 18kg, 111cm tall.

He was just over 20kg at one stage, but due to some health issues, and food intolerances he is gradually loosing weight.

I have been giving him a cup of sustagen each day and full fat dairy but it doesn't seem to be doing much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bambino View Post
    My 5 year old is 18kg, 111cm tall.

He was just over 20kg at one stage, but due to some health issues, and food intolerances he is gradually loosing weight.

I have been giving him a cup of sustagen each day and full fat dairy but it doesn't seem to be doing much.
    Thanks for that, just took his measurements and my boy is 16kg and 105cm at 5yrs3months which is below 10th percentile on the growth charts but at least that's for both so in proportion at least and his weight has never dropped (apart from temporarily when sick). My 2.5year DD is the same percentiles on her charts so I figure it is just their build and both have always been small since birth but still hard not to worry IN CASE there is more to it. After being sick last week I have been stressing and looking up info on high calorie diets and main thing I think I need to do is relax on the things like how much honey he wants on his weetbix, how much mayo he dips his sandwhich in and actually say "yes" to juice and chocolate milkshakes etc because the sugar and fat rules don't apply to kids that you want to gain weight so long as part of an overall balanced diet.

All the best with your weight gain mission, makes it harder with food intolerances which I don't think we have but is always a possibility.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used a high-cal diet and Polyjoule with my FTT son. I just added the Poly-joule to his food and milk and he made weight gains rather than losses. I found the easiest way to calorie increase his diet was to mix high-cal products into his everyday foods..ie if he was having weetbix for brekkie I would add a couple tablespoons of cream with the milk, or cheese with the scrambled eggs, avo to his sandwich etc. This way you are adding nutrient rich calories instead of high-cal, but nutrient poor foods. Dairy products are high in cals, but also full of nutrients, whereas oil is high-cal but low in nutrition. This way you are still encouraging healthy eating by only allowing "junk" food to be a treat. For example hot chips are high in cals, but pretty low in nutrient and high in "bad fats", and not something you really want your child to be eating all the time.

Good luck with it all. Its awful seeing your child lose weight. Poly-joule worked for us with no side-effects...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (10-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow hope my boy is 18kg at 5 but I doubt it! He's on the 3rd/4th% and always has been.

4yrs 5mnths and 13.9kg!

When my son was younger we used pediasure as a milk drink once a day and also added it to cereal and yogurt. We did not find it added any weight.. Helped with reassurance he was getting nutrients.. However now at this age I know what he's eating, even though it's very very minimal (he has no appetite I suspect because of his sensory processing) and I've learnt not to worry anymore.

Obviously we have been adding healthy hi calories since he was 15mnths and still do (cheese, margarine piled on sandwiches, avocado every day, yogurt unlimited etc etc).

I would suggest adding hi calory foods into diet and a cup of pediasure per day. :-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Last edited by Happy2be3; 10-04-2012 at 15:10.