Ok so Im not trying to start any arguments I am really curious about adults with aspergers because a really good friend of DP's appears to have it IMO. Ever since I have known X he has always seemed odd and I have never been able to put my finger on exactly why.
As we have had a lot of publicity about autism lately and (as stereotypical as I am sounding) quite a few TV shows now have character with aspergers, I noted down certain personality traits of X and at the same time I seemed to be crossing off each trait of someone with AS. I dont want to seem like I am jumping to conclusions or blowing things out of proportion, but X has shown a lot of interest of wanting to go into business with us and if he does have it then I would like to know that would mean.
This is what I am talking about:
There is more to list but you get the idea. I have learnt to accept this person as being like this over time but I had a lightbulb moment the other day and suddenly thought mybe aspergers. The main reason I am concerned about it is the fact he wants to start a business with us and his behaviour is something I am worried about. We havent even agreed to it and he is buying stuff for this business.
- he seems to have trouble with empathy, cant understand anything from anyone elses point of view.
- super intelligent and when he is interested in something he needs to know EVERYTHING about it.
- has trouble in social situations where someone will make a joke but he will take it literally and you get a 1/2 explanation on what he thought you were talking about ie: i walk into the shed and hear them talking about "how long it is" knowing full well they are talking about an actual tool, and I say "I'm sure its that big", everyone but this person got the joke but X went on to explain why the tool was as big as it was. IYKWIM
- acts before he thinks a lot of the time and when told why he shouldnt do that, sulks, goes home, and comes bac the next day having seemingly researched said topic to find out why it was wrong or why a different approach was better and how it can be improved in the future.
- When he is set on doing something that is all he can think about.
- His life revolves around his one passion and nothing else is important.
So if anyone has aspergers or knows more about it, does it sound like X has it? If so, should we bring it up with him? we dont think it has occured to anyone else not even him, although everyone else says he is different but no one has thought about why he is different.
As I said, I dont know anything about it, just what I have seen on TV and read. The more I read the more I genuinely do think he might have it.