+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Newborn having trouble attaching to breast, how can I relax so she can feed?

I have a 10day old baby girl (first child, normal drug free birth). She has not achieved attachment on my breast yet. We have had to commence bottle feeding with my breast milk as she just wasn't getting enough. She looks for my breast, suckles, normal cues etc but never latches on.

Im starting to think that a lot of the issue may be my stress & anxiety levels, nit allowing me to relax. I suffered a traumatic event about 3mths ago, which I feel is contributing to the anxiety.

I have seen a lactation consultant and been told I'm doing everything right, that I just need to have patience & it will happen.

Does anyone have any tips or stories on how I can try to get her to attach?

Maybe you had a similar issue you could share which will help me feel better?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have the same issues with 3 week old DD, but she is now attaching most of the time. But when she was first born, she couldn't get on. Her mouth was too small for my nipples.

But we are persevering and she is getting there. Have you tried giving her part of a feed and then offering the breast? I find DD is happier to give it a go if she is not starving.

My LC has me offering the breast at every feed and if she cries too much, I give her half a feed (EBM) and then try again. If she is still crying and getting upset I don't push it as don't want her to have negative associations with the boob.

I would just keep persevering if you want to BF and hopefully you will work it out together

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    my dd couldn't latch properly until 6 months. I used nipple sheilds from 3weeks.
    lots of skin to skin contact, we went to bed/couch together for a few days and just gave bub free access to try to attach.
    at nearly 2 she's a champion feeding.
    good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My bub is now 10 weeks old. We used a nipple shield for the first 4 weeks, it made so much difference. I then saw a LC to help me get rid of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my dS was the same but he had a mild tongue tie which was a problem for him latching on. We used nipple shields for a couple of weeks and he finally latched properly at 9 weeks, although continued to be a fussy feeder right til he weaned. has your bub been checked for a tongue tie? it would be worth investigating if you aren't sure as it is a big cause of poor attachment.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone, it makes me feel so much better knowing its not just me! I know its only early days & so new for both of us.

Yes she has been checked for tongue tie, doesn't have it.

She goes great guns on the bottle, so i guess worst case scenario is I keep doing EBM for as long as I can. I must admit I have no regrets introducing a bottle - its so darn easy!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Californication View Post
    I have the same issues with 3 week old DD, but she is now attaching most of the time. But when she was first born, she couldn't get on. Her mouth was too small for my nipples.

But we are persevering and she is getting there. Have you tried giving her part of a feed and then offering the breast? I find DD is happier to give it a go if she is not starving.

My LC has me offering the breast at every feed and if she cries too much, I give her half a feed (EBM) and then try again. If she is still crying and getting upset I don't push it as don't want her to have negative associations with the boob.

I would just keep persevering if you want to BF and hopefully you will work it out together
    This sounds exactly what my LC has got me doing. The only time I don't offer the breast is if I'm out of the house in a busy place or late night feeds. It's just too much stress & anxiety & not worth it.

DD is a small bub (6lb5oz) & has a teeny tiny pouty mouth as well.

AndrewTheEmu is offline Bubhub Ambassador - tongue in cheek
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DD had many breast feeding issues, attachment being one of them.

I was taught to 'squeeze' my whole nipple between my fore finger and
    Middle finger before inserting into DDs mouth, then while removing my fingers 'flip' her top & bottom lips out. Then do everything I could think of to keep her stimulated/awake while feeding. When she came off (about every 2 mins) repeat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooze View Post
    This sounds exactly what my LC has got me doing. The only time I don't offer the breast is if I'm out of the house in a busy place or late night feeds. It's just too much stress & anxiety & not worth it.

DD is a small bub (6lb5oz) & has a teeny tiny pouty mouth as well.
    Hopefully it works out for both of us!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    I would get rid of the bottle and try tube feeding or using an SNS machine (I'm a bit shocked the LC didn't recommend this TBH)

Here is a great vid on attaching with the tubes and then leading it to the breast
    http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...ame=vid-notyet (this site has LOTS of great videos to help with attachment BTW)
    Thanks. We have tried line feeding whilst she is attached onto the nipple shield, but that was a few days ago. It went ok, but we were using a syringe to push it through. She wasn't attaching properly even with the shield

I might give this method a go today. The bottle has actually been really good to develop a stronger suck on her.