+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default ASD parents - when did you notice your child was 'different'?

I have a 21 month old foster boy who we have cared for since birth til he was 12 months, then he went back to his mum until a few weeks ago and now is back with us. We have maintaned contact during the time he was back with his mum.

We suspect now, and always have, that there is something different about him. He was a very good baby, he slept and fed well, but was noticeably expressionless, not an animated babbly, smiley, chirpy baby. He was much much less engaged with his world than other children and this was noticed by everyone who spent time with him. He had poor core strength and head control for a long time. He was slow to roll, slow to crawl, but walked on time. A MCH mentioned to me once that he displayed many of the things that children who grow up to be on the spectrum do as babies.

Now, his only spontaneous word is 'peese'(please) and says something like mummy and dadda. His mother says that he has more words but I am yet to hear them. He is off in his own little world, plays alone, driving cars and trains, has a very blank face much of the time. He doesn't make much eye contact, he is very fragile and cries easily. He is bonded with us but not overly affectionate. He gets very distressed when I leave him with other people of at daycare.

Is he too young to be taking to a paed for a chat? Can you tell me about your ASD child as a baby and toddler? WDYT?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    From birth, she wouldn't look at me when I breastfed her. It actaully sent me off into a depression. I thought she hated me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    It is never too early to talk to them about. I learnt that the hard way. A written record of things you have notice will really help later on. In saying that the pead i know don't like give you a dx until they are atleast 2 or 3.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not an ASD mum, but my younger sister has aspergers.
    mum first noticed a distinct difference around 2, when she had trouble playing with other kids, and developed her language differently.
    we have tapes of us playing radio shows and singing, but she was 'upset' by some childhood songs, and would get annoyed if you played games 'wrong' (ie horses don't fly, lego had to be tangible objects, not just towers or blobs)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    From birth with ds #1

And around 12 months there were clear probs with ds#2

Then at 2 yrs it got worse with both

Not too young to get it investigated at all goodluck

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I noticed when DS1 started school. Looking back now I can see the signs as far back as a baby but he was my first child and just seemed like a bit of a handful. That said he is very high functioning compared to others but it is blatantly obvious when he is next to other children of his age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like my DS1 at the same age. He is now 9yo and just been diagnosed with Aspergers. I started thinking about possible ASD behaviours at about 2.5yo, which is when I first joined a parenting forum and read about other ASD kids. But looking back now, he definitely showed ASD behaviours from about 1 week of age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well I think this little fellow sounds much like ASD. I don't know exactly when I started to notice with my DS as I was super paranoid anyway and always over analysed things and compared him all the time. Although my queries were not of concern to my MHN, I was concerned with his lack of attention to what I was trying to tell him mostly. It was not evident to anyone else until I had him assessed by the paed, ONLY after my MHN gave him a brigance test in which he scored poorly. It was really only people who were aware of ASD traits that noticed. Even though at 2 he has been diagnosed with ASD, we do not have a direct type of ASD.

Goodluck.