+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default finally a diabetes appt at KEMH!!!!

after on average 3 lows a week and many glucagon injections later, I finally received a call for a diabetes appt at KEMH to book me in next week does anyone else have diabetes? (type 1, 2 or gestational) if so, how are your blood sugars? problems when pregnant?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am almost 36 weeks and have been on insulin since 8 weeks pregnant. Was diagnosed and placed on insulin three days later so not quite sure what will happen after I give birth (as to whether I have to stay on insulin or swap to tablets or if I can try diet control).

Early in my pregnancy I had a few hypos but over the pas few months my insulin requirements have just gone up and up. However over the past 4 days I have not had a single reading that was high and am tending to be a little in the low range so this is probably the start of the end for me. I've been warned if I suddenly get hypos it's game over and birth time.

Currently I am booked for induction Monday week (when I hit 37 weeks) but my gut is saying I might end up going next week.

I see an endocrinologist who in addition to regular endocrinologist work specializes in pregnant women with diabetes and GD every fortnight, plus I see my private ob fortnightly too. My endo and ob are in constant communication as the endo writes to my ob after every visit. I also do regular u/s scans and other testing via the Fetal Monitoring Unit at TCH which is where high risk patients go in the ACT and surrounds even though TCH is a public hospital and I am a private patient not planning on birthing there.

TBH I cannot fault my level of care. Being private has helped, but what led to my diagnoses was a bad gastro bug combined with morning sickness at 7 weeks landed me in casualty very dehydrated. There they did a FBC and noticed my glucose reading was really high (considering I could not even keep water down for over 24 hours). Within a few days of that casualty admission I was in with the ob, who had me see the endo the very next day, appointment at the Diabetes Clinic the day after that to get me set up to monitor etc, GTT done three days later to confirm suspicions and insulin commenced off GTT results which came through the very next morning (I had my GTT done on a Sunday and they rang me at 9 am Monday morning).

All in all I have found everyone to be really responsive. If I have any concerns or out of the ordinary readings I can contact the diabetes clinic at TCH and they will give me advise or call my endo to get advise. I can also make appointments and go and see them whenever I want (which I generally don't need to do).

Three weeks sounds like a hell of wait, especially when pregnant. How far along are you? If your post 24 weeks, and getting lows or hypos they should see you straight away, could be an indication that the placenta is failing. Also the average delivery time for a diabetic (not GD) is 34 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    wow. didn't know some GD end up taking insulin. I'm type 1 so I've been taking insulin since I was 7 years old. They tell us to reduce our insulin for the first 16 weeks (due to severe lows) I have gone from 22 units to between 10-18 units (depends on my bsl and food amount) and I'm still not waking up.... hope KEMH can help sort me out next week

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Dragonia, I'm T1 and have had 2 complication free pregnancies. PM me if you want any support or advise it's hard work, but so worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Dragonia,
    I am type 1 diabetic since i was 11 (now 30) and pregnant with my first baby.
    I too have just received an appointment with kemh after a 3 week wait (apparently my referall never arrived or got lost or something) I am currently 10 weeks and kemh dont want to see me until after 13 weeks and after ive had my 12 week NT scan.
    So far i have had to put my insulin up by 10% (since 6weeks), but am waiting for the hypos to start in the next few weeks. (i was told to drop insulin from 11 weeks in preparation for this)
    Sorry i am not going to be much help to you but would love any info you have on kemh and the service there... still considering whether to go private instead..
    Thanks! Moose

Thanks
    Reviews
    T1 here also, currently 27 weeks. I never had the hypos at the start but had to increase insulin quite a lot, everyone is so different. my insulin levels are now double the original amount and I still struggle with my numbers. I just do the best I can.
    It's certainly tiring doing both!
    Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    well I came up for my diabetes appt at KEMH on the 11th and they decided to admit me, seeing as my blood sugars have been going nuts. that and also I have an infected toe. I have explained to them my lows usually happen when I am napping or sleeping and sure enough, yesterday I had one just after lunch, and I didn't even have insulin at lunch!!!! They ended up putting a weird "chip" thing in my back (I felt like a puppy lol) that CONSTANTLY records sugar levels, but they can only see the results after it's been removed and downloaded to a computer. But here's hoping they can pinpoint WHEN things are going wrong now.

Moose, KEMH have always been VERY good with me and every other mother I've met that's been here. Most know what they are doing and that's soothing to know. I am actually in KEMH atm, bored outta my brain lol. Luckily I bought my computer up with me lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dragonia, Thanks for the good feedback about kemh. Glad to hear you've had a good experiences with them, makes me feel much better about not really getting a choice on my hospital / ob etc.
    Hope they get your sugars sorted soon, all those hypos can't be fun.
    I've worn a sensor before and they are really useful in picking up where your levels are off without having to a million finger pricks.
    Hope you don't go too crazy hanging around in hospital!
    Moose