+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default TAMPONS! Need some help :)

Ok so I know this might sound weird that a grown woman/mother is asking these questions..

I have never used tampons, when ever I inserted them in the past I would be in a lot of pain and have to take them out right away.

After the birth of DD I seem to be able to wear them with out pain and I'm trying to give them a really good trial this cycle. As I hate pads, and I hate how wearing them restricts me (like swimming)

Any way I think I'm not doing something right..
    Would really appreciate some feed back

> I can feel it up there, it doesn't hurt at all, it's not uncomfortable, but I can feel something's up there especially when I sit down, is this normal or should I not feel a thing?

> what brand do you find the best? I tend to get a very heavy flow and slight spotting in the middle of my cycle.

> applicator or no applicator?

> how do you know when you have it "all the way" up there?

> when it's properly in place do you still get leaking? Should I back up with panty liners?

> do you change them every 4 hours like the packet states or do you do it more/less often?

> is there a position you find best to put them in?

I do apologize if I sound stupid asking all this.
    My mum never introduced me to tampons, and i just used what I was given which was pads.
    This is my first time really giving tampons a go.
    I would love to be a tampon user because like I said, I just hate wearing pads.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Liddybugs; 05-04-2012 at 22:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachell View Post
    Ok so I know this might sound weird that a grown woman/mother is asking these questions..

I have never used tampons, when ever I inserted them in the past I would be in a lot of pain and have to take them out right away.

After the birth of DD I seem to be able to wear them with out pain and I'm trying to give them a really good trial this cycle. As I hate pads, and I hate how wearing them restricts me (like swimming)

Any way I think I'm not doing something right..
    Would really appreciate some feed back

> I can't feel it up there, it doesn't hurt at all, it's not uncomfortable, but I can feel something's up there especially when I sit down, is this normal or should I not feel a thing?

You shouldn't feel anything. It may not be pushed in far enough or it might be too big. I use slims which are smaller than other types.

> what brand do you find the best? I tend to get a very heavy flow and slight spotting in the middle of my cycle.

I like U by Kotex. They make a slim one that is dead easy to get in.

> applicator or no applicator?
    Personal preference. I prefer no applicator.

> how do you know when you have it "all the way" up there?

You'll know. It won't go any further. Good rule of thumb (well, finger) is that the length of your middle finger should go all the way up.

> when it's properly in place do you still get leaking? Should I back up with panty liners?

Only if you don't use the right absorbency and don't change often enough. I can go about 5 hours on a heavy day. Some people more, some less.

> do you change them every 4 hours like the packet states or do you do it more/less often?

See above LOL

> is there a position you find best to put them in?

Either one foot up on the toilet seat or squatting. I can now do it just sitting on the loo but I've been using them for many years.

I do apologize if I sound stupid asking all this.
    My mum never introduced me to tampons, and i just used what I was given which was pads.
    This is my first time really giving tampons a go.
    I would love to be a tampon user because like I said, I just hate wearing pads.

Thank you in advance.
    No wukkas.

P.s. lots of people rave about menstrual cups as an alternative. Not my cup of tea but might be something to look into as well.

ETA my responses are under your questions. Sorry, it's not very clear.
    Last edited by Moxy; 05-04-2012 at 22:13.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha I'm glad u asked all these questions cos I'm in the same boat!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I don't think you're silly asking. My mum never talked to me about them!!
    Some thoughts.... You shouldn't feel it ever. Well only if not inserted properly I think. I try to push it in as far as my finger goes (TMI!!). I get heavy then light period. I like the libra tapered tip ones and I use super at the beginning then regular. I must admit that I don't change them every four hours. Only when I need to. (which can often be four hours or less in the beginning). Sometimes if I'm finding it hard to insert I put one foot on the toilet!!!!!! Again, TMI!!
    Anyway, I think it just takes time to find a brand that works for you and you are comfortable with.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    > I can't feel it up there, it doesn't hurt at all, it's not uncomfortable, but I can feel something's up there especially when I sit down, is this normal or should I not feel a thing?
    I think it's normal. It is for me.

I prefer the 'U' brand.

> applicator or no applicator? I'd probably start with applicators while you are learning.

> how do you know when you have it "all the way" up there? It should be inserted a index fingers length, as close to your cervix as possible. If it hurts then its not in properly.

> when it's properly in place do you still get leaking? Should I back up with panty liners? Depends on what my flow is like, I usually put a pad on as well and when/if it starts leaking I take the tampon out. I don't like liners.

> do you change them every 4 hours like the packet states or do you do it more/less often? Depends on how heavy my flow is. Usually about every 3 hours, no longer than 6 hours.

> is there a position you find best to put them in? Squatting, or one leg up on the toilet/bath/ledge.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    If a tampon is in properly, I don't think you should be able to feel it at all. I can't feel mine.

I have never mastered how to use an applicator.

I use libra super as I have a heavy flow as well.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all so much, I wasn't expecting to get replies so soon

It's greatly appreciated.
    Its a relief to know as well I'm not the only women out there who doesn't know much about tampons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Oh, and I change every time I go to the toilet.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly, I would like to recommend investigating a menstral cup as an alternative to tampons.

Before discovering a menstral cup I used tampons. As a young child I needed to use a lubricant (some left over cream from treating a previous UTI - not the best choice in hindsight, but it is what my mother gave me). When the tube ran out (after about a year), I was fortunate to discover that I no longer needed it.

I have never used an applicator. It was several years before I even heard of applicators and the concept frightened me.

As for a position, standing up with one leg raised (on the bathtub, toilet, or a chair) seemed to work best for me. But I did become quite adept and found myself able to do so in various positions (even sitting down, which I would consider one of the worst positions).

When wearing one, you should not be able to feel it, though you might still feel the thread dangling out.

As for brands, I really wasn't fussy. If you are concerned about ingredients there is one that is supposed to be 100% cotton and therefore the healthiest option, but I couldn't tell you which brand that was any more.

For your own piece of mind, I would recommend wearing a pad for your first cycle or two. After that you should know if you need the extra backup for the heavy flow days (or more likely nights) or if it is unnecessary.

I don't recall changing them every four hours. I would typically change them when urinating and but at least morning, noon, and night. However for the first few days that wasn't sufficient and I could tell when they were full and change them more frequently as required.

PS: Sorry for answering your questions out of order. I kept scrolling back up to see if I had missed anything. And again, I would like to recommend a menstral cup instead.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 05-04-2012 at 22:21.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (05-04-2012)

Tam-I-Am is offline Winner 2009 - Most Helpful Member Award
    Winner 2007 The most helpful moderator/admin award
    2008 AWARD WINNER - The most polite member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank You
    You shouldn't feel it at all. You can't 'lose' a tampon, because it can't go anywhere. The only other exit out of your vagina is your cervix, and a tampon is far too big to fit through it under normal circumstances. Your vagina doesn't really point up in your body, it points backwards toward your anus, so the best way (I find) to insert a tampon is to stand, prop one foot on the edge of the bath/on the toilet seat, and insert, angling it in and slightly down toward my anus. I insert it by pushing on the bottom until I can't go any further (ie the length of my finger). If you can feel it, it's not in properly.

If you ever 'lose' a tampon because, say, the string falls off, just squat and push slightly, inserting a/some fingers, and you'll find it again and be able to draw it down.

As for brands and applicators/no applicators - I've forgotten which brand I used to use...Cottons I think...whichever one was pure cotton and unbleached in any case. And I didn't use an applicator, although if you're a bit nervous or unused to it, applicators can be good. But TBH, I haven't used a tampon in over a year because I switched to a menstrual cup
    Last edited by Tam-I-Am; 05-04-2012 at 22:26.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tam-I-Am For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (06-04-2012)