+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Teach me about cot choices!

There seems to be a huge variation in the prices of cots, so I'm wondering why? Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for in buying a cot or is it purely based on personal preference of what will look good in the room?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    For the most part it's personal preference. Some will be "safer" than others but cot safety standards in Australia are so high that they'll all be very safe.

The other differences in price will come down to the type of wood used and the brand name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You want adjustable height base and look for the higher 'high' setting as it will be a lot easier when bubs is little. The other thing is the cot drop side. I remember when I was looking for cots for my ds (he's now 5) I fell in love with a cot, then looked at the finer points and it didn't even have a drop side! But, more often it's working out the easiest drop side cot. Some need 2 hands and believe me, that's virtually impossible with a sound asleep 1 year old in your arms! Other drop sides are noisy when lifted into position and again the last thing you want is your sound asleep 1 year old to wake up as you pull up the cot side!

If you want a cot that converts to a toddler bed you'll pay more. We went with that option as our rooms are small and the idea was to keep our kids in toddler beds as long as possible and we did keep our ds in the toddler bed til he turned 4 (he's on the 95th percentile for height too), so it was a good investment. Now, our dd is in the same cot (Boori Ranch - they don't make it anymore I don't think).

Also look for big wide sturdy looking slats under the cot mattress. We bought a toddler bed for my mum's house and the slats were narrow and somewhat flimsy. Not great for a toddler who wants to jump on the bed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have learnt a few things about cots. 1) Dont spend a lot of money. My boy have chewed their cots to death. Im not talking a few teeth marks I mean CHEWED. I bought on of those $50 plastic protectors but then realised I need one for ll 4 sides and for two cots it was too $$$ so I just tied cot sheets around them in the end and this works.

I would fo for a cot that has quiet drop sides, the last thing you want is to wake a baby you just spent ages re settling by putting the side up.

Also I would get one where you arms easily fit between the bars. I spent hours and hours on the floor patting a trying to settle my bubs with my arms inbetween the bars and sometimes my elbows would get stuck.

IMG_2695.jpgIMG_2696.jpg