+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerz View Post
    The maximum they said per hour would be $40. They normally won't do anything less than a 4 hour shift.
    I'll look into this option, hopefully available in the public system!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont understand why you need a midwife present when having skin to skin contact with baby....am I missing something? You literally just hold them right, and BF....? What does the midwife do? Just sit there watching?

I couldn't stand that! I was so happy to be left alone with baby after my c section!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I never had a birth plan. I just went with it. Hospitals are very good. Midwives and nurses have been delivering babies for years on years. Id suspect they would know the needs of a mother quite well. I did not have an issue with skin to skin, they gave her to me straight away after clearing her airways. I put my complete trust in them and I wont be bothering with a birth plan this time either.

Sent from my X10i using BubHub
    Last edited by nice piece of crumpet; 23-04-2012 at 07:41.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it is a good idea to think about what you want, but remember not to be dissappointed if it doesn't go to plan. My daughter was an emergency c-sec, they handed her to me for 3-4 minute cuddle after her apgar was done a few times and then she was sent off to special care for medical reasons.
    I would not have had it any other way, they were doing what was best for my baby. AT my hospital it was protocol that partner went with baby at all times (I guess in case certain decisions had to be made eg.tests ect.
    I agree with PP (most) hospitals do whatever it takes to get the best outcome for both mother and baby and sometimes this may not include skin to skin contact and breastfeeding straight away.
    However if they were to take my baby away I would defiantly want a reason to be given.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellymoe View Post
    Rachell I don't have a birth plan yet, is there a special process or is it just a list of demands (like movie stars have on set ). Before now I wasn't really fussed but now I think I need one! Do the hold much weight?
    I had a birth plan but I had it written out (wish I had typed it so that I could have copies ect) Dh helped me do up the birth plan and so did my mother who wasn't going to be there but I felt she would be great to help me as she had obviously been through what I was about to go through
    Half way through my labour I asked hubby to call my mum to come up lol.

My hand written birth plan was given to the OB and midwife in my room apon my arrival (I went through the public system, I was induced following problems hence the OB being there With the midwife) they didn't seem to pay much attention to it.
    When things started getting moving with my labour I found my self unable to really explain what my wishes were. That's why it was so helpful in the end that both Dh and my mum knew what I wanted.
    The midwife and OB never checked my birth plan and even ended up loosing it towards the end.
    My mum and Dh were able to stick up for my wishes so to speak and tell the OB and mid what my wishes were.

I had strong wishes with a c-section in my birth plan should be labour end up in that position.

I did end up having a c-section and I understand that it was an emergency and there was some wishes of mine that couldn't be forfilled.
    But there was other small things on the birth plan about a c-sec that skipped mum and DHs minds obviously due to the rush of it all and not having my birth plan written down for them.

One of the biggest ones was I didn't want the hep B injection to be given to dd after birth, but she had it.. That was in my birth plan,
    Another one was I wished to brest feed.
    When dd got taken up to NICU she was jaundice so they decided to give her formula, they asked Dh first but he felt as though they were saying it was not really an option, they told Dh i could still breast feed so he agreed.
    In my birthplan (once again if Dh had a copy he could have interviened) I said I was to be informed before any formula was to be given.

I was in recovery and intensive care for 3+ hours and no one decided to call or come and ask me if that was ok.
    Needless to say when I got back and tried to latch her it was extremely hard. I had no problems with them giving her formula for the jaundice, but they could have come an asked me as my sister had offered that if I had any problems with breast feeding she would donate some of her milk to me. I would have liked them to ask me so I could have Said I wanted donated milk.

In future I will make copies and keep them with me, give one to Dh, any midwife that comes in the room and any one else who is invoked with my labour. Things can get a bit hectic in labour and the birth plan can go "out the window" or people "forget" what your wishes were in the rush of things.
    My birth plan was important to me.
    And due to some complications I was unable to voice my wishes during my labour/c-section/afterbirth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jascar View Post
    I think it is a good idea to think about what you want, but remember not to be dissappointed if it doesn't go to plan. My daughter was an emergency c-sec, they handed her to me for 3-4 minute cuddle after her apgar was done a few times and then she was sent off to special care for medical reasons.
    I would not have had it any other way, they were doing what was best for my baby. AT my hospital it was protocol that partner went with baby at all times (I guess in case certain decisions had to be made eg.tests ect.
    I agree with PP (most) hospitals do whatever it takes to get the best outcome for both mother and baby and sometimes this may not include skin to skin contact and breastfeeding straight away.
    However if they were to take my baby away I would defiantly want a reason to be given.
    If there was a medical reason it just wouldn't be possible and was not in baby's interest, then yes, I would be disappointed but would accept without complaint. If the only reason is "we don't have enough midwives to watch you have a baby lay on you", then yeah, I will be whinging plenty.

Have appt tomorrow so I'll see how I go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jascar View Post
    If there was a medical reason it just wouldn't be possible and was not in baby's interest, then yes, I would be disappointed but would accept without complaint. If the only reason is "we don't have enough midwives to watch you have a baby lay on you", then yeah, I will be whinging plenty.

Have appt tomorrow so I'll see how I go.