+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default C section birth plan

I have everything in my favor to have a normal vaginal birth but I have read, and it makes perfect sense to me, that it's a good idea to gave a c section plan in case I have to have one for some reason. The premise being that you still have a modicum of control, and know what to ask for, expect etc.

Does anyone have any ideas of what can be included?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I had c-section included on the birth plan, I've copied and pasted.

In the event of Caesarean
    Please keep communication open. If, at all possible, please wait for my express consent, or that of my partner, before initiating any procedure.
    • If a Caesarean is required I would prefer an epidural and or spinal block rather than a general anaesthetic. Ideally, I would like to remain awake and aware.
    • I would like **** to be with me at ALL times.
    • After the operation, I would like to to have immediate contact with the baby. If for some reason the c section stops this happening then I want John to hold the baby.
    • I would like to hold the baby and breast feed in recovery if possible
    • I do not wish the baby to be routinely taken away to the ward to wait for me to finish in the operating theatre. If this is the case, **** is to be with the baby always
    Special requests:
    • If I am put under a general, **** is to stay with baby at all times.
    • **** is to make decisions as to procedures if I am under general or in case of any emergency.
    Special Care Nursery (if rqd)
    • Should our baby require transfer to the SCN **** is to accompany her/him and to remain with her/him at all times.
    • Baby is not to be given bottles or formula in the SCN as this baby will be exclusively breastfed. I will have my milk expressed if need be.
    • If baby is to be transferred to another hospital, my **** is to be with her/him at ALL times. And if possible, I too would like to be transferred to my baby ASAP.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Artful  (05-04-2012),babyla  (05-04-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (22-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had similar to PP - general anaesthetic must be last resort, contact with bub straight away unless medically necessary, breastfeeding straight away, skin-to-skin contact as soon as possible, if she was to leave my side DH was to go with her and skin-to-skin between him and her as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I had c-section included on the birth plan, I've copied and pasted.

In the event of Caesarean
    Please keep communication open. If, at all possible, please wait for my express consent, or that of my partner, before initiating any procedure.
    •If a Caesarean is required I would prefer an epidural and or spinal block rather than a general anaesthetic. Ideally, I would like to remain awake and aware.
    •I would like **** to be with me at ALL times.
    •After the operation, I would like to to have immediate contact with the baby. If for some reason the c section stops this happening then I want John to hold the baby.
    •I would like to hold the baby and breast feed in recovery if possible
    •I do not wish the baby to be routinely taken away to the ward to wait for me to finish in the operating theatre. If this is the case, **** is to be with the baby always
    Special requests:
    •If I am put under a general, **** is to stay with baby at all times.
    •**** is to make decisions as to procedures if I am under general or in case of any emergency.
    Special Care Nursery (if rqd)
    •Should our baby require transfer to the SCN **** is to accompany her/him and to remain with her/him at all times.
    •Baby is not to be given bottles or formula in the SCN as this baby will be exclusively breastfed. I will have my milk expressed if need be.
    •If baby is to be transferred to another hospital, my **** is to be with her/him at ALL times. And if possible, I too would like to be transferred to my baby ASAP.
    Thank you for posting this! I will be using it to guide my own wishes should I have another baby, if I'd had any idea the first time this would have been hugely beneficial for my family.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to babyla For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You can ask for the curtain to be dropped for you to watch as bub is born (don't worry, they don't drop it so low that you can see the incision).

Also if your partner is interested, he can recut the cord when bub is with the pediatric team.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, I had heard that skin to skin was impossible with caesareans... That the OR was kept too cold and they baby had to be checked and swaddled straight away - is that not true?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Thanks guys, I had heard that skin to skin was impossible with caesareans... That the OR was kept too cold and they baby had to be checked and swaddled straight away - is that not true?
    Not true, different hospitals have different policies, but you can definitely have skin to skin after a section. The only reason I didn't is because bub was so prem.
    Where are you birthing?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    I had a Caesar in January and was able to have skin to skin time as soon as DS was checked over.

As the OR was so cold (I was freezing) I had this plastic thing over my arms and chest that they filled with warm air so bub was put under this with a flannelette wrap over him also. He stayed on my chest while they finished fixing me up, DH got a quick cuddle when they moved me off the table and back onto a bed. Then he was back on me in recovery and I had my first chance to try and breast feed him.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

Artful  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    Not true, different hospitals have different policies, but you can definitely have skin to skin after a section. The only reason I didn't is because bub was so prem.
    Where are you birthing?
    I am going to SJOG Subiaco

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Artful I had my csection at SJOG Subi. It was a beautiful experience. Baby was given to me straight after apgar score done and didn't leave my side. Skin to skin straight away. Breast fed 20 mins later. Pm me any questions. Who is your ob?