+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Unhappy Scared about Cervical Incompetence...

Hi All,
    This is my first ever thread, so not sure how to start.

I am 6.5 weeks pregnant with hopefully my second child. I have a DD who is almost 2. Last year i had a MC at 7.5 weeks and after that i had to have a LLETZ/LEEP Procedure because of a severely abnormal papsmear.

I've heard this procedure in some can casue Cervical Incompetence, which can lead to miscarriages later in the pregnancy or very early labour. I've also heard it can't be diagnosed until it actually happens.

My first appt with be Ob/Gyn is at 10 weeks, so I will have to wait until then to find anything out.

Has anyone had a healthy pregnancy after a LLETZ/LEEP procedure? I would love to hear from you.

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    hey there, I don't know much about it tbh - but I do know that my mum have cervial incompetence and prior to it be diagnosed she lost some bubs at around 15-20wks.

But when they figured out what was going on, they carefully monitored her, did an internal/external stitch earliest on in the pregnancies and she had 3 healthy pregnancies in a row.

From what in udnerstand these days it is a highly manageable condition and outcomes are generally great!

Perhaps when you meet with your ob discuss your concerns and ask what they can do preemptively (sp?) to keep an eye on things. I am sure I have read on here about ladies who get their cervix measure to see if its thinning or weakening or whatever you call it? And if it goes to a certain level they then then the stitch maybe?

I don't think its a matter of suddenly your cervix shortens and there is nothing they can do?

I hope all is ok, its so hard not to worry about things!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi geniusmum. I had the procedure done several years ago and haven't had any problems with cervical incompetence. Have had 2 pregnancies and am also 10 wks pregnant with another. Good luck with your pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I had the procedure done a few years back too, and like electric rodeo I didn't have any problems carrying. I just made sure all my health care provides knew of this too.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck I am in the same boat had the procedure couple of years ago n I am now 16weeks :-) all goin well so far

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I too had a LLETZ procedure a few years ago and was told there would be a chance I'd have an incompetent cervix...and I was as worried as you are now when I was first pregnant.

I'm now 21 weeks pregnant with twins, so the pressure on my cervix is a lot greater. I made sure my OB was completely aware of the LLETZ procedure at my first visit. I was 10 + 6 weeks at my first visit. Since then I've had an ultrasound of my cervix every 2 weeks to check that it isn't shortening. So far it is fine and looks like it will stay that way. If starts to shorten they will give me a circlage (spelling?) to keep my cervix closed.

So long as your care provider is aware of the LLETZ and your cervix is being measured regularly I think you will be fine.

Take care!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ustwo For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had a Letz procedure and fell pregnant 3 months after having it done. I carried fine no shortening or problems at all. The only thing I was told by my mid wife to watch for as some midwives had not had it happen was that when you are in labour and they do an internal check it can feel like your cervix is the size of a pin hole or not dialated at all because the scar tissue can cover the opening all they need to do is manually move the scar tissue and they will have a clear passage to see how dilated you have become. This didn't end up happening to me but it was goo to know in case the mid wide couldn't find my cervix I could tell her that might be the problem!

Everything went fine I just got them to check my cervix at ultra sounds as well!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also had a lletz and then got pregnant. Like pp I was offered extra scans and everything was fine. All the best with your pregnancy

Sent from my LT15i

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you all for your replies.

I feel so much better now! I will ask my Ob/Gyn to monitor it during this pregnancy and hopefully all will go well. I will also let them know about the scar tissue thing too, that's great advice!

Thank you all again, you have really put my mind at ease, I was worrying about it so much