+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default cosmetic procedure for a child

My DD has ptosis (droopy eyelid) from birth trauma, and it hasnt self corrected.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ptosis_(eyelid)
    It doesnt appear to affect her vision at all.
    The surgery would be cosmetic (though under medicare as 'medically necessary') and make her face more 'even'
    Would you have a cosmetic procedure on your child, or b)wait and see c)wait till shes older and see if she is teased/wants it done ?

Guest Guest
    My husband is very paranoid cause he 'thinks' he has this (it's not as bad as he thinks)
    As someone who had a procedure done as a teenager, if I could of I would have chosen my parents to do it much earlier before the teasing and self esteem plummeted. You could wait till she's a teen because I really don't know if its bad or if it'll bother her, only you know, and she'll feel better once it's done. But the scars of being teased always stick, still at 33 years old. So I'd spare her that.

What are the complications of the procedure? Do they recommend doing it younger?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    in 'rare' cases the procedure can completely ruin the eyelid nerves (making it 100% worse) and of course there the general anaesthetic risks (I have reacted to a GA before) They are recommending to have it earlier so she 'adjusts better' after its done.
    all her other nerve damage has self corrected with physio.
    she is also Asian, so has quite small eyes to start with

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    It would depend on what it is. If you're considering surgery on an infant it's usually not something trivial. My Mother spent a lot of time in hospital with my oldest brother as he was born with a cleft lip and palate and had to have a series of surgieries to 'correct' it. She said it was the most stressful time of her life (and she was widowed a few years later).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    NOBODY wants a droopy eyelid and I can almost guarantee she will not resent you or have any ill will feelings toward you at all when she is older because you got this done for her as an infant.

This is nothing like piercing or circing imo.

I would absolutely do this for my DD at whatever age the doctors recommended.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my niece has this. her parents have chosen to leave it for the time being

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A friend of mine had this. Based on her experience, if my child had it I would take the option to correct it earlier rather than later provided it was considered a relatively safe procedure.

Good luck, its never an easy decision. My DS needed a medically necessary operation, and even though he had to have it, I still found it hard to go ahead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is it likely to "fix" itself if you leave it? If not and the risk of complication is also low then I would go ahead and have the operation, and if the Doctors are suggesting to do it when she is young then I would also go with that. Children can be very cruel so if there was a way that I could avoid that for my LO I would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovehats View Post
    Is it likely to "fix" itself if you leave it? If not and the risk of complication is also low then I would go ahead and have the operation, and if the Doctors are suggesting to do it when she is young then I would also go with that. Children can be very cruel so if there was a way that I could avoid that for my LO I would.
    Its been nearly 2 years, and hasnt corrected yet.

Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    my niece has this. her parents have chosen to leave it for the time being
    how old is she?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Bubhub Blogger
    medically neccessary cosmetic surgery.

Yes I would.

If it's not going to self correct, I'd prefer to get it while they're younger.