+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I dunno, I just kinda think that saying RIC is like ear piercing, minimises the RIC procedure. I tend to see that if you are against both you can see them in the same context because in many ways they are similar, but I still find RIC a much more extreme, permanent and invasive procedure.

A parent doesn't whip their kid off to the chemist to get a large piece of tissue removed; its a semi-involved procedure. Perhaps more along the lines of other cosmetic procedures like botox, fillers, gettign worts/moles cut out kinda thing??

It just makes me wonder what the ladies 'intention' was? Whether it was to highlight the cosmetic/unmedical nature of the procedure or whether it was to minimise the 'seriousness' of it.

Not sure if that makes sense? I just think that for those who where swaying towards it comparing it to ear piercing actually normalises it more which i find a bit scary.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It's scary that piercing a baby's ear is seen as normal. In my mind it's not normal, so isn't normalising RIC.

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Guest1234 For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (05-04-2012),GothChick  (05-04-2012),Mill  (05-04-2012),Mod-pegasus  (06-04-2012),share a book  (05-04-2012),trishalishous  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree, I feel extremely passionate about piercing babies ears, just as strongly as I do about circing. I'm not trivializing anything when I say I find them both the same, what I mean is I find them both absolutely (insert stuff I will probably get infracted for here). They should both be illegal imo.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (05-04-2012),Mill  (05-04-2012),share a book  (05-04-2012),trishalishous  (05-04-2012)

Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bell & Bug View Post
    It's scary that piercing a baby's ear is seen as normal. In my mind it's not normal, so isn't normalising RIC.
    Personally I agree with you - but I reckon most of Australia doesn't.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I can see the comparison from some viewpoints, as obviously both are bodily modification, however I can also see the vast difference between the two and i'm another who agrees that comparing them can minimise the seriousness of RIC. I don't agree with either procedure FWIW.

I also have to add that some earring holes just don't close up, so it's not a matter of modifying the body on the child's behalf and then letting her take them out in the future if she doesn't want them. My ears were pierced as an infant and the holes are very prominent and don't close up (and they are uneven, gahh!). I didn't wear earrings for several years and it made no difference.

For those who pierce your baby girls - do you ever worry that your daughter will rip them out? Our neighbours baby ripped her entire earlobe in half when she was about 18 months because something/someone grabbed at her earring. *shudder*

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    Because every single person on the planet has a name. There is no alternative to having a name from birth. And we do change names with relative ease, and many people go by nicknames or preferred names. If you truly hate your name you can change it. If you truly hate not having a foreskin...
    And if you truly hated your name and changed it, then you would be forever feeling bad when you come to the question on a form asking if you have ever been known by a different name.

Legally you are required to name your child within sixty days of birth, but it can fall through the cracks. The form for DD4 got lost thrice and I finally took a form in to the office in person yesterday (she is 11 years old). And for the record, she is on my medicare card, she attends public school, and she even has a bank account. We could've easily given her the choice of any name when we put the form in yesterday, but we didn't, we stuck with the given names we had chosen for her at birth and put both our surnames (previously it was just going to be her fathers surname, but now both surnames are being used). So she will get her birth certificate with her full name on it. Her sisters however, who were registered at birth with just their fathers surname, are getting their names changed to add my surname as well (thankfully their father reluctantly agreed) but will have it noted on their birth certificates that there has been a change of name.

I've also heard of a pair of twins (both girls) who were called by nicknames for their younger years, then as they were older, they got to pick between the two names as to who got which one. (The concept seemed a crazy idea to me, but apparently they were happy with it. I would be worried how you would negotiate if they both wanted the same name.) Note: I don't know this family so this story might just be an old wives tale.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 05-04-2012 at 16:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both procedures are unfair until the person can choose.
    Genital *******
    Holes in babies?
    Disgusting
    Last edited by DQ; 06-04-2012 at 20:58. Reason: emotive language removed

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am against both as I believe both are a personal choice - the child's personal choice not the parents! However I don't think they are the same. I feel RIC is a serious issue and agree that by comparing the two it trivializes it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my ears pierced as a child (not baby) and to some extent I wish I had have waited until later as unfortunately I now have a large chunk missing from my earlobe where they were ripped out playing in the back yard. They too are still prominent and haven't closed over

Thanks
    Reviews
    And to answer OP I don't think they are the same at all!!! I would consider circumcision to be far more intrusive to a baby than ear piercing but don't particuarly agree with either. Though there are worst things in this world...