+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Savingfishfromdrowning View Post
    A penile piercing is purely cosmetic, would you put that in the same boat for a newborn too?

While I'm pro-choice for circumcision I don't see it as the same as pierced ears.
    Yes I would.

In our current culture penile piercings are not main****** so no-one would dream of doing them to a child. However if in the future they became more widespread (to the point that almost everybody got one), then I could see someone thinking it would be better to get it out of the way as an infant rather than inflicting the procedure on a grown boy.

Basically if the assumption is that yes they will want it done, then the argument is over when is best to do the procedure. If there is not an assumption that it will be done at some point, then the when is not as much an issue as the if - and under those circumstances going through with the procedure in infancy is less reasonable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What an odd thing to say. Absolutely no different? Really?? I can think of a number of obvious differences...

I hate meaningless comparisons. Its like when people try to measure things in football fields instead of actual measurements. Or when people say getting vaccinated is like a mosquito bite. No, its not.

It is what it is.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    Basically if the assumption is that yes they will want it done, then the argument is over when is best to do the procedure. If there is not an assumption that it will be done at some point, then the when is not as much an issue as the if - and under those circumstances going through with the procedure in infancy is less reasonable.
    You raise an excellent point. Just because it's main****** there's an assumption that a girl will want her ears pierced at some point, however, my DD might not want to get her ears pierced and I am not going to make that decision for her. My DS might not want to be circ'd so I will not make that decision for him.

Vaccinations on the other hand have strong scientific evidence that they greatly lower the risk of contracting a range of diseases, some of which can be fatal. Furthermore high vaccinations rates have contributed to the decline of said disease in the community. These are of great benefit to both my child and the community. Whilst vaccinations obviously change the body in some respect, the process does not permanently alter a child's body purely for cosmetic or cultural purposes.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 05-04-2012 at 15:39.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (05-04-2012),Mod-pegasus  (06-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    You raise an excellent point. Just because it's main****** there's an assumption that a girl will want her ears pierced at some point, however, my DD might not want to get her ears pierced and I am not going to make that decision for her. My DS might not want to be circ'd so I will not make that decision for him. Vaccinations on the other hand have strong scientific evidence that they greatly lower the risk of contracting a range of diseases, some of which can be fatal. Furthermore high vaccinations rates have contributed to the decline of said disease in the community. These are of great benefit to both my child and the community. Whilst vaccinations obviously change the body in some respect, the process does not permanently alter a child's body purely for cosmetic or cultural purposes.
    couldn't agree more!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes I do believe they are the same. I think both are ********things to do to a child who can't decide for themselves. Yes circing is permanent whereas holes in your ears can close up, but what about infections when the ear isn't cleaned properly, when it has been done by someone who isn't properly trained....if you like, I can show you pictures of little babies ears that are infected after piercing...Then tell me which you think is more painful.
    Infections can cause permanent scarring of a child's ears, permanent, just like circing is permanent.

You have no idea if your child will want either procedure done when they are older and you have no right to take that choice away from them.
    Last edited by DQ; 06-04-2012 at 21:01. Reason: emotive language removed

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GothChick For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (22-04-2012),Guest1234  (05-04-2012),Mill  (05-04-2012),share a book  (05-04-2012),trishalishous  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it's the same as ear piercings at all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm pro circumcision but ear piercing and circumcision are entirely different and can't believe anyone would compare the two!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Just as a side note, sometimes ear-ring holes don't close up. I have my left ear pierced twice (I had it done when I was 14 - it was all the rage in 1985) but I haven't worn an earring in it for probably close to 20 years but I could quite easily put an earring in there now.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

share a book  (05-04-2012),trishalishous  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    I also put childhood vaccinations in the same basket.How about naming your child? That is something they are stuck with for life. Perhaps you should hold off on naming your child until they are old enough to choose their own. (And for those that say they can always change it, that isn't the same. They'll still have to forever acknowledge the previous name.)
    Because every single person on the planet has a name. There is no alternative to having a name from birth. And we do change names with relative ease, and many people go by nicknames or preferred names. If you truly hate your name you can change it. If you truly hate not having a foreskin...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, it's the same. Making a decision to alter your child's body, for your child, unnecessarily and purely for cosmetic reasons.