+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Circumcision vs Ear Piercing

Ok, this is bound to get heated but I'm curious to hear other opinions.

I was sitting outside an obstetrician's office and overheard her conversation with the patient (ok, I was eavesdropping!). The pregnant woman was asking about circumcision (how common it is, what are the options, is it painful, etc). The middie explained that while there are some medical reasons for circumcision, it is mainly done for cosmetic reasons. Then her exact words were "it's absolutely no different to getting your daughter's ears pierced".

For the record, my son is not circumcised but I have nothing against it... I think it's a personal choice.

I just found this comment interesting. Many people argue that circumcision has no proven medical benifits and therefore it is purely cosmetic and unnecessary. If so, then it really is the same as piercing ears.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ear piercing adds a little hole to the ear which you can close over if you wish later on. It's not like circumcision where they chop something off. Is she for real

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Cj* For This Useful Post:

austmum  (25-04-2012),Happy2be3  (26-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I see it the same as ear piercing in that lots of people have their ears pierced for a miriard of different reasons, but if you get your little girls ears pierced when she's a baby she can't then chose not to have her ears pierced when she's older.

Now my son is intact and when he's an adult he can chose if he wants to keep his foreskin or not, baby boys who are not intact do not have this choice. My sons body is his own and I cannot make choices that are purely cosmetic for him in good conscience.

I don't believe in the so called benefits of routine infant circumcision.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

captainscaptain  (22-04-2012),Etienne  (05-04-2012),Happy2be3  (26-04-2012),LoveHeart  (05-04-2012),Mill  (05-04-2012),Stiflers Mom  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I don't think it's the same... but I think her point was, it's the same in terms of how necessary or beneficial it is (unless medically required of course).

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

*Cj*  (05-04-2012),Etienne  (05-04-2012),grumpysmurf  (05-04-2012),Luna Lovegood  (06-04-2012),share a book  (05-04-2012),Witwicky  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think this is the type of debate that anti-circs will see as the exact same and those who are pro-circ will see as entirely different..

Thanks
    Reviews
    i agree with sassy but being someone in that position it should have been made more clear.
    in terms of pain, recovery, lifelong choice it is nothing like ear piercing

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's the same in that it's for cosmetic reasons (RIC, not circ due to existing problem) and done for the adult, not the child. The child only feels pain but when young does not care about whether the foreskin is lopped off or there are holes in ears. The caring comes later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do consider them in the same boat.

There is debate with either as to whether or not they are desirable or needed.

However, if the assumption is made that the procedure are desirable/needed, then there are valid reasons for it to be better to be performed when the child is an infant.

If the procedure is assumed to be unnecessary or pehaps unwanted, then there is argument for waiting to allow the child to make their own decision.

Therefore the parents options are:
    a) Decide to go ahead with the procedure and hope that the child appreciates that they dont need to worry about it in future, but risk the child being upset that it cannot be undone, or
    b) Wait until the child can make the decision for themselves and hope that the child doesnt have a problem with going through with the procedure if they want the results of that procedure.

It is a gamble and as parents we have to choose which we think is the best option. There are valid reasons (depending on assumptions) for either choice, so it is left up to the parent to decide.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 05-04-2012 at 12:04.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Father  (06-04-2012),Mill  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am not against either exactly, my opinion is that it's the parents choice however I feel that circumcision is a whole lot more serious than an ear piercing. Ear piercings are not permanent and if they do stay open they are unnoticeable. Cutting a piece of the foresking off however is permenant it doesn't grow back so therefore is so much more altering than a piercing!
    Sure maybe both are done without the childs input at such a young age unless medically required (circumcision) but in all seriousness how can an ear piercing even closely compare to circumcision?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was all for circumcision when I had my first baby.... Until I watched a video on what they do and I soon changed my mind .... I as a Mother felt that I had no right to inflict such pain on my son just because I wanted to or that it was the thing to do at the time it was his body and his choice when and if the time came that if he ever needed it done....

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RuffledPansy For This Useful Post:

Happy2be3  (26-04-2012),littlegreengeisha  (25-04-2012)