+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Elective C-Section Q'n - How do you know which ob/gyn are willing?

Hi ladies,

I'm not pregnant yet but this question is posted on behalf of my very lovely friend who's over for coffee at the moment

My friend is currently 13 weeks pregnant with bub #1 & had her first ob/gyn appt not long ago. For personal reasons, my friend is after an elective c-section when the time comes to have bub.

My friend had asked her ob/gyn at her first appt but they wouldn't discuss it with her, saying we'll discuss that when you're alot further along.

Now she's worried that they won't agree to it and wants to know early so if she needs to find another doctor she can (she wants the same doctor all the way through). She was thinking of booking into another ob/gyn just in case, however that would get too expensive.

Anyway, just wondering for those who knew from the start they wanted elective c-sections, when did you discuss it with your doctors? Is there anyway to find out what doctors will agree to do elective c-sects? My friend just wants to know if she should be looking around for another ob/gyn or not.

Also, we live in Far North QLD, has anyone had an elective here? It'd be great to hear from anyone who have.

Thanks in advance for any replies xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Is your friend with private health care?
    If she is she can ask for whatever birth she wants ie c section or try for a natural birth, but if she's public from what i've heard she will have to fight to get a c section

4. The Following User Says Thank You to october For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My obs response was the same at 12 weeks. She held out on me till 34 weeks when she said I could birth any way I wanted. I think they hold out to see if you change your mind. Hope she gets it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I called a lot of doctors and just asked of they did them. Only one said yes and so I said okay! Book me in! Turns out I needed on for medical reasons anyway but I was always going to have one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleven Eleven For This Useful Post:

Rocky27  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks heaps ladies for the replies, thats very much appreciated!!

Yeah, she is with private health care but had heard some rumors that alot of doctors refuse to do c-sect's if not medically necessary. She seemed worried since they wouldn't give her an answer early on that it would get towards the end and then they would say no, so she's wanting to find one from the start who's happy to do it.

Thats a good idea, ringing around & asking the receptionists. I might pass that idea onto her. Hopefully they'll say yes or no rather than you'll have to discuss it with the doctor. She was telling me how negative family have been so far with her decision to have a c-sect, which I think is unreal. Women should be able to birth which ever way they feel comfortable without family putting their negative opinions in!

Thanks heaps again ladies, we weren't sure what the "rules" (so to speak) were re elective c-sects and if most doctors will agree to do them or not..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocky27 View Post
    Thanks heaps ladies for the replies, thats very much appreciated!!

Yeah, she is with private health care but had heard some rumors that alot of doctors refuse to do c-sect's if not medically necessary. She seemed worried since they wouldn't give her an answer early on that it would get towards the end and then they would say no, so she's wanting to find one from the start who's happy to do it.

Thats a good idea, ringing around & asking the receptionists. I might pass that idea onto her. Hopefully they'll say yes or no rather than you'll have to discuss it with the doctor. She was telling me how negative family have been so far with her decision to have a c-sect, which I think is unreal. Women should be able to birth which ever way they feel comfortable without family putting their negative opinions in!

Thanks heaps again ladies, we weren't sure what the "rules" (so to speak) were re elective c-sects and if most doctors will agree to do them or not..
    If they said "discuss it with the dr." I took that as no. I just asked "how does Dr. feel about e c-sections?" some receptionists said no they don't do elective but the one I went to the lady went "yep! He does elective"

I refused to go to one that was "we'll talk about it later" no buddy, it will cause me stress, we are talking now!

Hope your friend gets the birth she wants! Tell us how she goes!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Eleven,

Thanks heaps for that. I sent her a text & she's going to call a few offices after the easter long weekend.

Can't believe we didn't think of that! I love bub hub, haha! Hopefully one of them will be upfront & say yes, they'll do them. I wouldn't feel comfortable either waiting, just in case they said no later on when its too late to change doctors...

If one does happen to say yes, I'd say she'll change straight away to them if they're free.

Just out of interest, how many did you have to call until one said yes?

Thanks
    Reviews
    is there a reason in particular why she wants a c-section? I have had 4 c-sections and wished I was able to give birth naturally and felt robbed because I couldn't. I know its her choice but I'm just curious to know why.

Sent from my ZTE T60 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    What state are you in?