+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Home Birth Help! what do I need to do to prepare at home?

I've decided to have a home birth
    I have a midwife through the public health system so transfer to hospital in case of emergency will be no problem.
    But...
    I've just realised I might be needing to organise an awful lot of stuff on my end. Ideally I want a water birth again but I can't seem to find a reasonably priced birthing pool and the thought of setting it up (and down) in the lounge room worries me a bit! I'm at a loss as to what I need...Do I need to go out and get a whole heap of waterproof sheets and towels? a tarp to go under the pool? What else? I've got a few months to gather supplies but I don't want to waste any money buying things I don't need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You dont need to buy the pool you can hire them, im not sure how that works through the public system as i had a private midwife and she hired them out. I know my calmbirth instructor also hired out the birth pools, if your in melbourne i can put you in contact with her.
    As for supplies your midwife should give you a list at some stage.
    I used the $2 drop sheets from bunnings and put them under the pool, i put one under my sheet as well so it was waterproof.
    Other things i needed to supply were
    -torch
    -buckets
    -sieve (poo scooper)
    -towels
    - container for placenta
    - hose
    - tap connector to connect your tap to the hose

thats all i can think of really, everything else is what you feel you want or need to make you more comfortable like a fit ball etc

Dont stress to much though, i had everything prepared and i ended up birthing my daughter on the toilet floor whilst my husband was on the phone to our midwife. By the time she got there everything was all done