+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    How does bub attach itself if they're in a sling?
    I assume that's what you mean trishalicious????

Even as a newborn, did you have success with it? This is another part of the puZle for me, with now 2 x DS it would be bl00dy hard to keep them both fed and happy with a newborn feeding for 1h20 over and over again. It's no wonder in that sense that so many women give up so quickly..

I have An ergo but no sling...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Witwicky - Are you suggesting to let the baby comfort suck? Do you reccommend allowing the baby to suck all day long if that's what it wants?

Surely this would lead to sore boobs?

My last BFing experience was not a good one and sometimes i think that's because I had my boobs out too much?? DD once vomited up an entire feed full of MY blood. So scared to do it all again!

'They' say if bubs is attached properly feeding won't hurt, but when my nipples were covered in scabs even my t-shirt touching me hurt!

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Witwicky - Are you suggesting to let the baby comfort suck? Do you reccommend allowing the baby to suck all day long if that's what it wants?

My last BFing experience was not a good one and sometimes i think that's because I had my boobs out too much?? DD once vomited up an entire feed full of MY blood. So scared to do it all again!

'They' say if bubs is attached properly feeding won't hurt, but when my nipples were covered in scabs even my t-shirt touching me hurt!
    Re comfort sucking - yes! If that's what bubs wants to feel safe and secure then yes, I would let them comfort suck for as long as they wanted. However, if you've got damaged nipples then that might not be very appealing!

There are many sources of pain that can occur with bf'ing. The two most common (that I am aware) are nipple trauma. The best treatment for that is ebm on the nipple and some sunshine. The other thing to do is try different feeding positions so the same area isn't been touched/rubbed with every feed. Your nipples will get better but it will take time.

The other common source of pain is initial attachment pain when you start out bf'ing. That usually lasts for up to a minute (but more likely 30 seconds) and can be as bad as pushing the baby out but it does get better.

I would type more but Mummy duty calls.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Doc  (07-04-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Yep, that's what i'm suggesting Neither of my babies have comfort sucked ALL day, but there have been times when it has been pretty close! DS2 especially likes to comfort suck while teething. It has never led me to have sore breasts or nipples.

Here's some info about comfort sucking/nursing:

Comfort nursing is normal. If baby were not comfort nursing he would need to be sucking on his hands or on a pacifier. The breast was the first pacifier and the one that all others are modeled after, so don’t be afraid to allow baby to use it in this way. There are studies that show that comfort nursing is healthy for your child, too. All babies need to suck – some more than others. It ensures that they survive.

If your baby seems to be comfort nursing *all the time* and this is more than you can handle, keep in mind that this will probably ease some as time goes by. In the meantime, you may find that carrying baby in a sling or a carrier on your body will lessen his need to comfort nurse so much. He may just need to be close to you at times and seeks out nursing as a way to do that.

Comfort nursing serves a purpose, too. Studies seem to indicate that this type of sucking overall decreases a baby’s heart rate and lets him relax. It seems to have a very positive effect on his whole physical and emotional well-being. Don’t be afraid to allow this type of nursing. Breastfeeding is more than just imparting fluids and nourishment. It’s a way to nurture your child as well.
    LINK

Truth:
    Your breast is more thana dummy

A breast cannot be a dummy, as the dummy (like the bottle teat) was invented to be an artificial breast! Babies don’t breastfeed just for food. This often comes as a surprise to parents, but babies go to the breast for many reasons — they may be hungry, thirsty, tired, hurt, over-stimulated, bored, lonely, in the mood for cuddles, etc. All are equally valid reasons to breastfeed.
    LINK

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Doc  (07-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (07-04-2012),missie_mackxxxx  (07-04-2012),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

If your nipples are covered in scabs and baby is ingesting a whole lot of blood, then this is not normal and there is something wrong with how baby is attaching.

Have you thought about doing an ABA breastfeeding class, or meeting with an LC before baby arrives to talk about what happened last time and give you strategies for this time. Knowing where to get help early can be really beneficial so that you don't get such severe damage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks! Since being pregnant again I have tried to arm myself with as much info on breast feeding as possible in preparation. Not sure that my sanity will allow me to offer my boob 10 mins after an hour long feed, just for comfort. Then I feel guilty for having these feelings, a 'good' mother would be at the mercy of her baby 24/7. This mental battle is half my problem!

Thanks
    Reviews
    A good mother needs to look after herself so she can look after her kids!

It also depends on the baby, my daughter got a lot of comfort from breastfeeding, my son is much happier being wrapped and patted or worn while walking around the garden- he sees breast for food only 99% of the time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

Doc  (07-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is this something that is available/done? A course or consult before bubs even arrives? Will it be beneficial if I can't be shown attachment? What will they do?