+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by heartjb View Post
    Can I ask a question in this thread... Ive been exclusively BFing my DD for 3 months now and currently overseas. Normally she takes about 30 mins to finish off as I let her comfort suck for a little bit but ALL of my relos are saying Im not producing enough milk and forced me to FF her to top it off. I made 120ml and she drank about half of it. Now everyones rubbing it in my face saying "I told you so" and "just stick to FF". What does everyone else think?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub
    Ignore them! Is your bub happy? Is she producing wet nappies? Is she alert? I would have been sick with envy if it was only taking 30 minutes for a feed and that included some comfort sucking at 3 months. My DD was still perma-feeding at 3 months (ie, feeding around the clock!) Every bottle of formula you give her may/will affect your supply. Just because your baby drank the formula doesn't mean she was starving. If you put a bottle into my DS's mouth at any time and he would have drunk it. Next time just say "I'm happy to keep breastfeeding, she's happy and fine, thanks".

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    She is your baby, and if you want to breastfeed her, no-one can stop you. Topping up with formula is only going to damage your supply. You have done the tough first few months, why would you stop now without a good reason?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Generally shes a happy baby. She has her fussy moments but all bubs do right? They just planted a seed of doubt How do you know if the boob is empty?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    It never is empty! Milk is always produced. It might seem 'empty' after the initial part of the feed because your baby slows down, but keeps being produced. Check out the ABA website or KellyMom for info.

Don't doubt yourself if your baby is producing enough wet nappies and is happy. My DD took 1.5 hours in the early days to feed and sometimes fed every 2 hours. So I'd have a half hour before it started again! Before my milk was established I did comp feed her and once she took 150 mls after I'd fed her and that did create doubts, but I persisted and from 2 weeks she was purely BF.

She's now 5 months, feeds every 3-4 hours with 1 overnight and takes 20 mins.

Every baby and mum is different. Do what you feel is right for you two.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MunchkinsMum1 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-04-2012),heartjb  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every baby/mum is different and other posts are right - if your baby is happy, healthy AND putting on weight you should be fine. But MY experience was the flip side of other posts here. I HAD run out of milk. My breasts WERE empty - sorry,but there are some conditions that will cause this to happen - and I had half a dozen or so people (including midwives, nurses and family members) tell me this was not possible so I kept trying to bf. My daughter would constantly feed and feed for hours. She was not getting any "hind" milk as there was none, so was basically only keeping hydrated. At four months old I took her to a pediatrician who confirmed that some women do indeed run out of milk. He then told me that he would give me two weeks to "fatten her up" (ff) or he may have to hospitalize her. She was underweight and miserable and did nothing but scream (and I mean that was ALL she did!!) and I ended up with PND. All because I was unknowingly starving her. Once she was ff she put on 1kg in three weeks and has ever looked back. I wish now, that i had the confidence then to disagree with everyone telling me I was wrong about running out of milk!

So I guess my advice would be, listen to your body and your baby and trust what you feel. And if you are still worried see a doctor.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to eviezmum For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had to feed for long periods for the first 2-3 months too - thus is how you build up your milk supply - I also had very very sore nipples and it stung really badly during that time but I persisted and suddenly the pain stopped and my milk supply was huge and after that DS fed in 5-10 minutes each side each time.

I guess for some women milk supply takes longer to build up at first than for other women - the longer baby sucks for, the more your supply builds up. Don't worry about what they say, it's not a universal rule at all!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ellewood For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Please remember friends and family are not lactation experts, even many GPs aren't.

Get the right advice before changing your feeding, particularly trying formula as this can be a very quick slippery slide.

Breastfeeding is amazing for mums health and bubs health- not to even mention bonding.

Keep going and get the correct advice. I had a lactation consultant come to my house and all pain went instantly. Money is so worth it especially when comparing cost and effort with formula.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsMorrisseyBrisbane For This Useful Post:

heartjb  (06-04-2012),jacobsmamma  (09-04-2012),Witwicky  (06-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Hi hi,

Anyways, feeding either one of them always took over an hour to feed with the b00b. Especially in the first few weeks, I'd feed for 1.5 hours and then have a 2 hour break and then start again. I have no prob with the 2 hour break.

Thanks!

This I feed mine. I always make sure I have a hour break so that the fat milk has time to build.

Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    On top of that,my nipples get so so big that they don't fit into a newborns mouth.
    Mine are like this too. Don't try and get all in. As long bub mouth is full don't stress.

I about to start my 11th year breastfeeding when bub arrives.

Feel free to pm any questions you have.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Witwicky  (06-04-2012)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Regarding actual feeding vs comfort sucking. I agree with Thermo, the comfort sucking feels like butterfly flicks. I also note that when he is feeding it is very much suck, suck, suck, suck with swallowing and slight pauses. Comfort sucking is more like suck, suck, long pause, suck, suck, long pause (and the sucking is very light and flicky). Hope that made sense! The comfort sucking is actually important - it serves a purpose. If it is prohibiting you from doing things, then I highly recommend a baby carrier that you can pop the babe in while you get on with things, leaving you both to do what you need to do

Quote Originally Posted by MrsMorrisseyBrisbane View Post
    Please remember friends and family are not lactation experts, even many GPs aren't.

Get the right advice before changing your feeding, particularly trying formula as this can be a very quick slippery slide.

Breastfeeding is amazing for mums health and bubs health- not to even mention bonding.

Keep going and get the correct advice. I had a lactation consultant come to my house and all pain went instantly. Money is so worth it especially when comparing cost and effort with formula.
    Exactly. Far too many Mums are being given the wrong advice from health professionals who have absolutely no idea (especially GP's and MCHN's). I highly recommend speaking with a certified Lactation Consultant if you have any breastfeeding concerns, prior to taking the formula route.

The ABA also provides a breastfeeding helpline, available 7 days a week - freecall 1800 686 268 (1800 mum 2 mum). You can also join local ABA support groups which are invaluable for support and questions.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

jacobsmamma  (09-04-2012)

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Bec~ View Post
    I should update that thread about what makes me green with envy.

I spent HOURS feeding my DD, she did nothing but feed for the first 3 months of her life. A four hour feed was normal, if she was awake, she wanted to be attached. The spectrum of 'normal' for newborns and breastfeeding is vast. Newborns should be demand fed so they will dictate how often and how long a feed lasts I'm afraid! I would be very wary of any MW or any text book that promotes timed feeding.
    same here! I wore dd in a sling and she fed most of the time, 7-10pm was her clusterfeed and doze, but most of the day was feeding!
    the sling helped as I had 2 4yos to chase after, and there was no way to get dd off the b00b!
    I originally tried to time her feeds, as she was poorly and weak, then decided just to 'give in' and feed 20hrs a day if needed