+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Every baby is different.

My ds would feed for an hour at a time and fed 8 - 10 times a day, often attached for hours on end at night (like 6 hours) in the early days. I didn't know any different. He had jaundice & was under lights for 2 days in hospital before coming home, but even weeks after the jaundice resolved he would feed for ages. I got to watch a lot of TV & read lots of books. BUT by about 12 weeks he reduced how long he fed for as a friend of mine suggested bubs do as they age (I was SO relieved when she told me that when my ds was 8 weeks old). BUT, he loved a comfort suck, so I did watch the clock and I'd swap sides after 5 minutes at about 3 months and let him try & fill up from the 2nd side rather than milking the first side for every last drop first. I often ended up swapping back & forth a few times each feed, but overall the duration of feeds shortened by doing this. I wouldn't recommend it in the early days, but in an older bub it worked well for us. By 6 months his feeds were about 10 minutes long in total.

My dd on the other hand is a VERY different baby and would often finish a feed in under 10 minutes, even as a brand new baby! And when she was full she'll just stop feeding, no comfort sucking in sight! She's a super efficient feeder, it's amazing how quickly she can empty a very full breast of milk. I'd say that more than 50% of my dd's feeds are now 5 minutes long max and the rest are under 10 minutes long. In the newborn phase the longest she'd feed for would be 20 minutes and that might be once a day. She'd feed often (2hourly) at times, but she was a super quick feeder. I had no idea such babies existed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My first daughter took an hour or so to feed each time. My son is such a different feeder. I have been surprised about how different they are.

THere is nothing wrong with your boobs. Sounds like you just listened to your kids, and they tended to take their time in feeding. Your next child might be a quick feeder, and then you have to learn a whole new set of 'rules'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks guys. Ye I know to demand feed, I always would, but I see these champion BFeeders and me having failed with ds2 just started to wonder what was the go with the quick feeds.

As for attachment it was dreadful 2nd time round, with nipples the size of a big cork and a kid under 3kg he just couldn't even get near my areola.

Thanks again and pls add more its such a great subject and lovely to hear everyone's stories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 was one of those babies who would feed all day. Hour long feeds with only one hour break in-between for months. It was hard.

With DD2 she was a naturally quicker feeder. Only up to 20-30 mins at most, and within a month down to 8 min feeds every two hours. I was pleasantly suprised as it was unexpected for me.

With DD2 I did take supplements to help my supply, fenugreek tablets, brewers yeast, and eating lots of oats and flaxseed. Maybe this helped.

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's really normal for a newborn to feed 12 times in a 24 hour period if a feed takes 1.5 hours it could well mean you only get 30min between feeds. The kellymom website has lots of info and IMO is way better than the aba website.

Someone asked about the difference between comfort sucking and 'real' feeding comfort sucking for me feels like butterfly flicks real sucking is stronger and you tend to see their earlobes (or the skin below the ear-jaw) moving, this can happen when they're comfort sucking, I've always gone by the butterfly thing, I take them off and if they wake and protest then they want more so I tend to give it, well I try most of the time too,I know how hard it is when your feeling touched out if I'm lucky hubby is home and I can leave bub with I'm while I go grab a shower or take a breather.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    When DS was brand new we were advised to feed him for only a maximum of 45 minutes, just over 20 minutes each side, as anything longer than that would tire him out and he wouldn't be effectively eating. We're now at anywhere between 5 minutes per side to 20 minutes per side. I just let him do what he wants, but anything longer than 20 minutes usually means he's sucking for comfort, which is fine, but at that point I will usually pull him off (if he'll detatch without complaint, if he's not happy to detatch I keep him on) and we have a cuddle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I believe that all babies are different in relation to the length of the feed time. DS1 did take 1hr to feed for the first few weeks, yet DS2 (who was a bigger baby) only took 20minutes. I generally only offered one boob per feed exept if they showed signs that they were still hungry.
    In reference to the 8min per side or 20min in total thing; the milk that you let down at the beginning of a feed has a higher percentage of fat than the end part IYKWIM. Perhaps this is why people suggest this type of feeding if weight gain is a problem?
    The second time round for me my nipples seemed too big to fit in my baby's mouth although it was an attachment problem. Usually the 'too big' thing is only a problem if you have a premature bub. I found that baby led attachment worked for me instead of the insistance of the midwives to hold bub here and make sure they attach like this etc. (Before anyone says anything, I LOVE midwives!) I laid on the bed with two pillows to prop us up without too much elevation, put bub on my chest about where he needed to be and closed my eyes (expecting pain due to the previous poor attachment) and what do you know, he didn't need me telling him what to to at all!
    Hope your 3rd breast feeding experience is wonderful and stress free!

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's the end of feed milk, it the hind milk that is the rich fatty milk. The milk at the start of a feed is the watery thirst quenching fore milk.

That's why babies feed shorter feeds but more often in hotter weather, to keep themselves hydrated

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sindrii For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (05-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OP, if you have a happy healthy baby, you haven't failed xx
    Every baby is different and also you will probably find you will be so much more relaxed as a mum this time around too, which always helps

I say just go with the flow, one day at a time and see how things go The most important thing is your relationship with your baby anyway.

I am a huge advocate for breastfeeding, but I have always believed bonding takes priority

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can I ask a question in this thread... Ive been exclusively BFing my DD for 3 months now and currently overseas. Normally she takes about 30 mins to finish off as I let her comfort suck for a little bit but ALL of my relos are saying Im not producing enough milk and forced me to FF her to top it off. I made 120ml and she drank about half of it. Now everyones rubbing it in my face saying "I told you so" and "just stick to FF". What does everyone else think?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub