+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby refusing her bottles

Hello, my LO is nearly 4 months old and started to refuse her bottle (about a week now & i can never give her a full feed). She has been happily FF from about 6 weeks.
    When I try to feed her, she fusses, scream, kicks and tries to turn away from the bottle. I've researched, tried feeding her different ways, I have used many different bottle brands, flows to no avail. she's not teething nor has reflux or colic.
    A funny thing today, I had a new 5ml medicine syringe sitting in my kitchen drawer. I always remembered when having to give her medicine as a newborn, she always happily took medicine in the syringe. So in my desperation, I sterilised it, popped the lid of the formula and syringed her 5ml of formula. greaaat, she loved it - i continued on - she kept eating. At the end of syringing her the whole 150 mls (yes that's right, a long process) she flashed me the biggest smile.
    what the heck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG, I could have written your post word for word. I have twin girls and one of them is doing the exact same thing as yours. I have put up with it for the last month and in desperation took her to see both GP and paediatrician, neither of whom could help me, except to rule out scary medical conditions.

The paediatrician did say that around this age, they start to develop personalities and that perhaps DD was testing boundaries and testing mummy out. I thought, WTF? At 3 months old???? Does that mean she'll be a holy terror later in life?

Anyway he suggested starting solids early at 4 months and that babies who fight bottles tend to do well with solids. So I am counting down the days to age 4 months!!

But thanks for your tip about the syringe. I might try that and see what happens.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am having dramas with my ds, he wont take a bottle and no matter what I do he just wont take it. Going to get his 4 month needles next week, so might ask gp about solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I totally just posted about this!

My sons has been doing this for weeks! I have no idea what it is.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bumping this up for more advice.

I'm having less and less breast milk and DS just started to refuses his bottle. I've tried many different bottles & teats. He loves infants friend so I mixed it with the formula, only worked for 1 day. I also fed him from the syringe that he gets infants friend from, he took it but spat out when he realised it's not IF.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the bottles flow too quick? Could you try having bub drink from a sippy cup, there are ones that start at 4months. Have you tried having bub drink sitting up?

No idea really just trying to imagine the difference in syringe feeding to drinking from a bottle.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansta View Post
    ....No idea really just trying to imagine the difference in syringe feeding to drinking from a bottle.
    Same, but I was thinking the syringe would be easier so it might be that the bottle is too hard/slow for bubs liking? You said you've tried different flows but did you go all the way to maximum speed? And did you know you can buy 50ml syringes? Might make the syringe feeding easier... Good luck. Babies are just such mysteries

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lulululu For This Useful Post:

Lansta  (24-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Check bub does not have oral thrush - that can make feeding uncomfortable for them. Best of luck