+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DD attends a Christian school and dreamt about Jesus' cross

Im not really sure about where to put this but last night my DD who is 3 came into my room about midnight and told me the cross is in her bed. I told her to go back to bed, but again she told me the cross was in her bed. I asked her what does she mean and she told me the cross that Jesus died on.

She seemed scared and jumped into bed with me. She is in kindy and she does go to a Christian college so its of no suprise as easter is coming up. She had a really restless sleep for the remainder of the night. If it were your child would you mention it to the teacher? Im not really sure what the teacher has told the kids, maybe it was a bit much for their capabilities. What should I say to DD? I really had no idea as it freaked me out a little myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd be interested to know exactly what sort of Easter explanation the children received from this teacher. (If I was a parent in this situation). Doesn't mean anything inappropriate was said, but I would definately want to know how the Easter story was given.
    Interesting dream and reaction. When you look at it, the death of Jesus was truly horrible and gruesome. I can understand a young child being freaked out by the story, no matter how 'nicely put'.

Dreams (I believe) are the subconcious mind assisting us to deal with information received during the day (and problems etc).

If I was the person in your place, I'd ask some questions to the teacher, but not in an accusing 'guns blazing' kind of way. It's probably not too big a deal if it's just for one night... but if it's recurring, well, that's a different matter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with OP drams are very much about things that happened during the day. The Easter story is a heavy on for a little person to process. I'd speak with the teacher also to see how the story was told.

I went grew up as a Catholic and the Easter story used to really bother me.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I never really considered how much of an impact that story could have on little ones; but of course, when you think about it is a full on subject. I guess as adults it's just become something that we've always known and people can wear a crucifix around their necks as a symbol of love and pride, where as children would struggle with the gruesome nature of a body nailed to a cross.

I remember having nightmares and going into my parent's room crying and distraught after visiting a cemetary at a very young age.

I'm thinking 3 is probably too young for children maturely process the story. As others have said, I'd talk to her teacher, at the very least if only to make her aware that your DD is struggling to deal with what she is teaching.

Hugs for your DD, poor little mite xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The subject of "death" on its own is already very hard to explain to a 3yo. Add to that an extremely violent death on a cross many many years ago, and it would just be too much for them to handle.

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think it's WAY too young to teach that story. I hope it wasn't accompanied by pictures. I would definitely speak with her teacher about it.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (06-04-2012),Gandalf  (09-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmm i would think it was way to young to be taught that story, Christian school or not. My ds is the same age and there's no way that we were going to explain to him what today is and what the 'real' meaning of Easter is. I think at this age they can still enjoy the bunny etc...

I'd be chatting to the teacher so you know exactly what was said (not in an attacking way) tell them about the dream and you feel you need to elaborate on what was taught...

Poor thing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    With DD1 we just spoke about the LIFE of Jesus, the part where he lives afterwards without saying he actually 'died' 3 is far too young to be speaking about the crucifixion. Dd1 is 5 and they only speak about new life at her school. If your really concerned I would get your DD to pray and ask for comfort. Clearly because of your dd going to a Christian school the beliefs you are fine with? You can go to Koorong (Christian bookstore) and get child friendly Easter books. All very happy, positive feeling books. I hope she recovers quickly from her fear, poor little babe, it's not nice feeling scared and insecure.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

share a book  (06-04-2012)

MilkingMaid is offline Winner 2009 - Mod Award - most supportive member
    Question those who don't question authority
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Gee, it must have affected her quite a lot to dream that.Have you asked her about what she was told at school?

I just talked to my sons today about Easter, and told the story of the crucifiction etc, and showed them pictures, my 6 yr old was pretty "what? they were so mean!!!" Hope I haven't given him nightmares...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Kids process things differently, so when things like this are explained it has to be done in the right way. I'm guessing this is pre-prep or something because kids don't start formal schooling here until they are about 5, depending on birthdate.