+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default DoCS/DHS workers - Advice needed.

Deleted for privacy!
    Last edited by ~Lost In The Fifties~; 06-08-2012 at 16:39. Reason: Edit

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well with all the issues u stated to even start to get the kids back shed have to stop drugs/drinking pretty much totally and if domestic violence is involved id suggest she may have to seperate from the abusive spouse and set up her own home for the children, if hes in jail it prob wont help especially if theyre "together but seperated by prison" . Hmm, if thier grandparents can't take them you can apply for kinship care but youd need ur sister to write a letter or statement saying she'd prefer them with you than foster care, even though she doesn't have custody she is still their legal parent and most definately has a say if they go into family or system care. We are concerned about my SIL her house is apparently a complete pigsty and neither her or her partner mop, vaccum or clean anything, they have one daughter and are due with another later this yr, Im wondering how it will go when the midwife visits their home after their hospital stay, if they saw 2 kids in that filth Im pretty sure theyd get the kids removed quick smart, lets just hope if that happens grandma takes them we don't have the space to take on 2 more children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could u start by talking to the Grandparents? Are they happy with the current situation? It seems sad that the children be separated from each other but at least they are in a safe place. U could also speak to the DOCS case worker just to figure out if it is a possibility. Good on u for caring so much and being such a loving Aunty! Hopefully whatever the outcome, these children will be in the best place for them and that the government bodies involved will act in their best interest. Xo

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    You need to speak to the docs case worker.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to headoverfeet For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Docs will usually look for kin before placing children with foster carers. you should call DOCs directly and ask them about how to go about caring for the children. Docs will assess the best place. If u are willing and able to have the three of them together in your care Docs would look upon that favorably.

good luck and good on you

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great advice so far. Speak to the grandparents first and see how they feel, and then speak to the social worker who is in charge of their case.

You can be granted kinship care, and they will Favour this over foster care. But it isn't as easy as it sounds. My sisters nephew is in foster care as they only just found out she exists and she is one! They have sought kinship care and so far it has been over 6 months and even though they were officially granted kinship care, she is still not in their care! It's a long slow frustrating process!
    Good luck and how wonderful of you to be doing this for those kids! They are lucky to have you in their lives!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2boys00 View Post
    Well with all the issues u stated to even start to get the kids back shed have to stop drugs/drinking pretty much totally and if domestic violence is involved id suggest she may have to seperate from the abusive spouse and set up her own home for the children, if hes in jail it prob wont help especially if theyre "together but seperated by prison" . Hmm, if thier grandparents can't take them you can apply for kinship care but youd need ur sister to write a letter or statement saying she'd prefer them with you than foster care, even though she doesn't have custody she is still their legal parent and most definately has a say if they go into family or system care. We are concerned about my SIL her house is apparently a complete pigsty and neither her or her partner mop, vaccum or clean anything, they have one daughter and are due with another later this yr, Im wondering how it will go when the midwife visits their home after their hospital stay, if they saw 2 kids in that filth Im pretty sure theyd get the kids removed quick smart, lets just hope if that happens grandma takes them we don't have the space to take on 2 more children.
    Thank you for your response.

Im sorry to hear about your sil, i hope it all works out for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobsmamma View Post
    Could u start by talking to the Grandparents? Are they happy with the current situation? It seems sad that the children be separated from each other but at least they are in a safe place. U could also speak to the DOCS case worker just to figure out if it is a possibility. Good on u for caring so much and being such a loving Aunty! Hopefully whatever the outcome, these children will be in the best place for them and that the government bodies involved will act in their best interest. Xo
    Thank you for your response.

In regards to them being separated, they have been for a while my oldest niece (11) has been with my grandma since she was 7, her mother lost her license and couldn't drive her to school so she asked my grandma to look after her until she got it back but she just never went back to them.

Thank you for your kind words

Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    You need to speak to the docs case worker.
    Thank you, i will be going to speak to her later this week with my grandmother with me.

Quote Originally Posted by breakthemould View Post
    Docs will usually look for kin before placing children with foster carers. you should call DOCs directly and ask them about how to go about caring for the children. Docs will assess the best place. If u are willing and able to have the three of them together in your care Docs would look upon that favorably.

good luck and good on you

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Thanks for the information, great to hear.

The eldest child has been placed with my grandmother permanently.

I will be seeing the case worker later this week to discuss options.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldylox View Post
    Make it known to the grandparents that you wish to have custody of the children if/when they can no longer do so for whatever reasons. You can also notify Docs of this.. Docs/DHS have a firm belief that children are better off with someone in their family rather than foster care so you and your DH would have a good chance of getting them.
    I unfortunately won't be able to speak to the other grandparents as they do not get along with my family well and i don't know how they would respond to me telling them.

Thank you for you information!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Honeymoonbub View Post
    Great advice so far. Speak to the grandparents first and see how they feel, and then speak to the social worker who is in charge of their case.

You can be granted kinship care, and they will Favour this over foster care. But it isn't as easy as it sounds. My sisters nephew is in foster care as they only just found out she exists and she is one! They have sought kinship care and so far it has been over 6 months and even though they were officially granted kinship care, she is still not in their care! It's a long slow frustrating process!
    Good luck and how wonderful of you to be doing this for those kids! They are lucky to have you in their lives!
    Im sorry to hear about your sisters' nephew, i hope the process speeds up.

Thank you for your advice and kind words.

I have just been informed that the grandmother that currently is looking after the younger children has been put into hospital as she is having a melt down, the stress is getting too much for them.
    Last edited by ~Lost In The Fifties~; 04-04-2012 at 14:30. Reason: add.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump for the night crew!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    i had kinship care of my cousins child for a year, we did it to get her out of foster care.

Speak to the Docs case worker...make sure you know what you can offer (keep all 3 together) etc. They will do assessments etc and then determine the best case for the kids.

If the parents are on your side, it will make it easier.

We were given a hard time by the case worker...but we did eventually get her into our custody. It was so worthwhile ...and they are now back together and doing really well (but she was not in the same place as your sister).

If you and your DH really want this...push it. Have a good plan for the kids, make sure you have room available for them. Ask if it is possible to start with weekend visits (put it forward as respite for the grandparents) and see how it goes.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to River Song For This Useful Post:

~Lost In The Fifties~  (13-04-2012)