+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Starting to PANIC want VBAC - 40 + 2 baby still Posterior

Hi Everyone,
    I've been lurking in this forum for a few weeks now, reading all the great information - love the birth stories. Thanks for sharing so much info.

I am 40 + 2 days pregnant and going for a VBAC after my first baby was persistently posterior and got stuck in labour (FTP at 6cms) and ended in emergency CS. I have struggled to understand what happened and to forgive myself for the possible actions I took that contributed to the likelihood of such an outcome (agreeing to gel induction, ARM at 1-2 cms, eventual epidural after FTP). But, I am left with fears for my next delivery as this baby is also posterior (ROP) and shows absolutely NO SIGN of wanting to shift.

I've read SO MUCH info about spinning babies, hardly ever recline, have tried pelvic rocking, tilting, inversions, chiropractor care. I sleep in the prone position, I've been very active, and even tried talking nicely to bubs about things. NOTHING is working! The only thing that changes is my arms and shoulders are looking pretty buff from being on all fours so much! This bubs just wants to be OP and I am having trouble accepting that this is our path and feeling very helpless.

I've had contractions on and off for weeks and have been convinced a couple of times that labor is actually starting only for it all to stop when I'm asleep - sound familiar OP mums? But, now I feel I am destined for a RCS. The operation will be booked for April 12 if I have not gone into labor before then. As I am VBAC they will not induce me except to do stretch and sweeps (i've declined one already) and an ARM which I don't want.

Anyone else been in this position and still had a wonderful labour? I've read so many great experiences, just really want to have one of my own after so many regrets about the first delivery. I know in the end the important thing is the health of mum and bubs, and I should instead just focus on that and how lucky I have been in this pregnancy. But, I still worry as it's hard to be accepting of an impending situation in which you have very little control over the process or outcome and HAVE to go through one way or the other.

Sorry for the long post. Good luck to you all whether you're waiting like me to give birth, and/or enjoying your beautiful families. xx

HR

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I don't know much about it but try googling moxibustion. It might just be for breech babies, I'm not sure but it's worth a read.

Thanks
    Reviews
    On my due date bub was still posterior, but then I started to have pre-labour contractions which Drs told me were moving him around. These mild pains/contractions went for a couple of days, then I had a very short active labour and a perfect, non-posterior baby!
    So don't panic, plenty of babies rearrange themselves in time for delivery, and even if they don't there's no saying it still won't be an amazing birth. I too tried everything to make him move from about 37 weeks and nothing worked (they said it was because he was so big and I had an anterior placenta). Eventually my body just moved him for me.

All the best for your birth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i cant coment on the VBAC but BOTH my bubs were posteriour an i delivered naturally (well was induced at 40+6 with bub #2). I tried everything to shift them but nothing worked and in the end I accepted that that was just the way my bubs were going to be birthed! I managed without and epi both times, just having morphine.

My point is, it IS possible to deliver posteriour bubs naturally!! Stick to your guns and i hope you get the birth you want!
    Good luck

BTW, both my births were wonderful experiences!!
    Last edited by jennibear; 04-04-2012 at 10:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No experience on vbacs but my last bub was posterior and this one currently baking is also looking like lop. My ob is of the opinion that your uterus is already stretched so it's easier for bub to rotate during labour next time round.

Cant remember if you said you had tried acupuncture or not? Heard wonders about it.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google optimal fetal positioning. It will give u examples of exercises and ways of sitting or not sitting etc to encourage baby into a more anterior position!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow thanks ladies for you responses! Went and had a nap and woke up just now and read them all.

~Bec~, looks like you can use it for posterior too. maybe I'll give a few acupuncture places a ring and see if they can fit me in. Thanks!

MySupriseBaby, that's really reassuring to read. Makes me more hopeful! Thanks.

Jennibear - I couldn't make it through without an epi last time. The cxtrs were on top of each other for hours. Horrid. So well done to you to get through natural! How were you induced for #2? Where i'm going they won't use the gel because of an increase risk of uterine ruputure. I'm a bit hesitant to try artificial rupture of the membranes which they have offered to do if the cervix is "favourable".

Izzys Mummy - that's good to know that the uterus is already stretched. So maybe she'll move more easily. Fingers Crossed. Yes I think I'll look into acupuncture.

Jmo1 - Thanks, but I've tried everything I've read so far and if I google OFP any more I think my computer will slap me! Nothing has worked yet.

Well off to my chiro appointment now. Might talk to her about the Webster Technique...
    Last edited by hollyrichards; 04-04-2012 at 11:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't help with your situation, but my DS actually moved from anterior to posterior during my labour! C'mon what bub does that? I spent all those 41 weeks not reclining, doing yoga etc and then he turns during labour.

So babies move from posterior to anterior, and vice versa, all the time. What is happening now might not be what ends up happening on the big day.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by hollyrichards View Post

Jennibear - I couldn't make it through without an epi last time. The cxtrs were on top of each other for hours. Horrid. So well done to you to get through natural! How were you induced for #2? Where i'm going they won't use the gel because of an increase risk of uterine ruputure. I'm a bit hesitant to try artificial rupture of the membranes which they have offered to do if the cervix is "favourable".

i was on the syntosin drip and ARM... no gel! I had a S&S the day before but it didnt work. I was however 2-3 cms when had the S&S!!
    It was FAR more intense than my first labour. My first labour was 16 hours and my second (induction) was just under FOUR!! I thnk the hardest part of a posteriour labour is (with both my bubs) i had the urge to push before i was 10 cms!!! I tell you, trying not to push when my body is telling me to....
    NOT NICE!!!

Just remember you have 10 days to go before they have you booked for a c0section...alot can happen in 10 days!!!

Look up 'how to bring on labour'...although none of it worked for me!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    I can't help with your situation, but my DS actually moved from anterior to posterior during my labour! C'mon what bub does that? I spent all those 41 weeks not reclining, doing yoga etc and then he turns during labour.

So babies move from posterior to anterior, and vice versa, all the time. What is happening now might not be what ends up happening on the big day.

Good luck!
    Wow that SUCKS! What cheek! Yeah I guess anything can happen. She might go OA and then swap back to OP during labor! Thanks grumpybump.