+ Reply to Thread
    futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Potty in the room vs open door during night training.

I am a bit worried about leaving the door open for DD when we start toilet training. She is the type of kid that would open the fridge and start making herself something to eat (read make a huge mess) if she is left on her own, even at 4 am . I know we can child proof a lot of thing but we rent and there are still things we can't change. I am more concerned about her safety.

Is it okay to have a potty in her room vs leaving her door open?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I just finished night toilet training my 2-year-old, and I don't have a potty in the room, but maybe if you are worried it would be a good idea. Does she use the potty any other time? Can she not get out of the door by herself anyway? Is the door handle up high or something?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We still have a potty in the room for DD3, she is nearly 4. We started putting the potty in her room 12 months ago, because the toilet is too far away from the bedroom.

I also find that with the potty right there she will get up use it and crawl back to bed with no issues, but on the odd occasion we have forgotten to put it out the walk to the toilet wakes her up more and she is more likely to get sidetracked on her way back to bed and start playing.

futureherder is offline Child led parent here...save me :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry, yes the door handle is too high and she couldn't turn it even is she could reach it.

I think it is the best solution but wanted to see what others did.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our bathroom was downstairs so we did leave a potty in her room as there is no way i'd let her wander downstairs on her own in the middle of the night half asleep.

I see no problem putting a potty in their room.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hayden is 28 months and has been out of nappies for 6 months now, he doesn't seem to need to go overnight. His bedroom door is closed at night and I just make sure I get up before him in the morning so that as soon as he wakes up I can take him straight to the toilet. Also no drinks at least an hour before bed time (although sometimes I'm slack with that rule!)

In saying that, I dont' think there's any reason why not to have a potty in her room! It would be useless for Hayden because he doesn't pull his own pants off, so he'd just sit on it and pee through his undies anyway. Lol. But if she's able to do that then why not!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Yeah we leave a potty in both the girls rooms at night, we sit them on it when we go to bed, and its easier to use the potty than take them to the loo...

I am now very careful where i leave it though cos a couple of times DD1 has used it before she goes to sleep and then I came in later on half asleep and kicked it (like I needed another mess to clean up!)