+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    Statistically and biologically..older mothers and fathers have an increased chance of having a child with a disability along the ASD spectrum.

Whether that's the case on the Hub is unknown, however the Hub does not represent the data available to the medical board and the conditions associated with the increased rate.
    I think that theory makes the most sense for the rates increasing Parents are statistically getting older, so it adds up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    interesting oj thanks

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Great insightful answers to this thread!

I agree with most that increased awareness is the major factor for increased diagnosis. I also think that the funding attached to ASD means that many children who might have been put into a different 'box' are labelled ASD instead as they will have access to more help. In the end I think the Dx label doesn't mean a lot, as every child should be treated as an individual and have their own problems and goals developed. But if ASD means more funding then great.

Regards to the OP saying she was afraid of having a child with ASD, I don't think this is a terrible sentiment to express, after all lots of parents are afraid of having a child with any kind of disorder, everyone wants their child to be healthy and have the easiest possible path in life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by OJandMe View Post
    Statistically and biologically..older mothers and fathers have an increased chance of having a child with a disability along the ASD spectrum.

Whether that's the case on the Hub is unknown, however the Hub does not represent the data available to the medical board and the conditions associated with the increased rate.
    I've read there's also a correlation between the gaps in pregnancies - close gaps in babies can increase chance of autism. Don't know how true it is, but quite a lot of stuff when you google it. Perhaps the increase could be due to mothers being older and having children as close together as possible...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Fathers age increases the risk for autism and Downs too.
    We tend to only think of the mother a lot of the time.
    Last edited by Wippy; 04-04-2012 at 14:18.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wippy For This Useful Post:

OJandMe  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could someone explain "the spectrum" to me? Where does it start and where does it finish?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Increased diagnoses. increased awareness and sometimes over diagnoses or wrong diagnoses. My mum works in early intervention for autism and has done for a long time. she says in recent years and with increased awareness and help.. she has seen an increase in diagnoses and in some cases children come to her that do not really seem to be "on the spectrum".. often by the end of the year, they have almost outgrown any delays and social difficulties.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Gut health.
    I've heard that a lot from my naturopath

Thanks
    Reviews
    Op you said you were hoping for "insight": ,maybe you could try toning it down a bit and you might get even more. It's a good discussion to have but please be aware this is a sensitive issue for many of us, from those with kids with severe autism who would wish it away, to those with perhaps more positives to see in their kids who have extraordinary abilities. It is not black and white and we are all different, so a little respect would be lovely. It is not about being on a bandwagon, it is about expecting tact and respect from those who seek to understand.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

MamaC  (15-07-2012),MissMuppet  (04-04-2012)