+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Molly Coddle View Post
    I have done hardly any research on autism and vaccination, but I have a theory on why this may be so (military children more likely to have autism, that is.) My theory is that there is a certain personality type that is drawn to military employment. Perhaps it is an area of occupation appealing to those with ASDs? Highly regimented and organized, for example. Then the genetic link would explain higher incidence of autism in the children.
    Health care workers, and even freqent travellers would have more vaccinations than the median population, but I haven't heard of there being a higher incidence of autism in those social groups.
    Just my 2 cents!

As for your original question, I will just echo what the others have said. I think it is just that there is an increased diagnosis rather than increased autism!
    I tend to agree. I don't believe vaccines play a part but I do think what's in foods these days does. In general I think it's increased awareness and more knowledge of the disorder than there was many years ago meaning more being diagnosed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry apple cheesecake View Post
    My daughter has ASD, And i can tell you my child is as normal as any other child. Its nothing to worry about if your child has it or doesnt have it. My DR told me she has ASD and you wouldnt even know it. There is more information out there these days that is why the rates are going up. I dont see my child as being different to any other child i also wouldnt say that i hoped it didn't happen ( I see anyone that states that they hope it didnt happen to be selfish and what they were hoping for is a real easy child) because at the end of the day i have a child that i love and care for and she is the most happiest and loving and healthy child i have met. My sisters child does not have ASD and to be honest i find him the biggest pain in the back side then my daughter who is classed as " one of them children that are hard to deal with"
    I believe that any child that has ASD can be perfectly normal like any other child.

Sorry if you find my post harsh but as a mother of a Autism child this sort of thing is close to home for me!
    Hey, I would just add to that and say that it is not always the case that a child with ASD can be the 'same' as any other child. I think it depends very much on their individual diagnosis.

I have worked with autistic children who had no spontaneous speech. What I mean by that, is that at the age of 6 and 7 they would never say anything unless specifically requested to say it. And the things they did say (if requested) were as a result of many years of behavioural therapy, and still demonstrated echolalic tendencies (e.g., "What is it?" "What is it? Square!" etc.).

That's great news that your daughter is doing so well, but unfortunately that is not always the case.

ETA - I didn't open this thread for ages, as I had a horrible feeling it was going to be full of anti-vax theories. I'm pleasantly surprised to see that is not the case! And I agree that rates are not increasing - diagnoses are.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My daughter has ASD, And i can tell you my child is as normal as any other child. Its nothing to worry about if your child has it or doesnt have it. My DR told me she has ASD and you wouldnt even know it. There is more information out there these days that is why the rates are going up. I dont see my child as being different to any other child i also wouldnt say that i hoped it didn't happen ( I see anyone that states that they hope it didnt happen to be selfish and what they were hoping for is a real easy child) because at the end of the day i have a child that i love and care for and she is the most happiest and loving and healthy child i have met. My sisters child does not have ASD and to be honest i find him the biggest pain in the back side then my daughter who is classed as " one of them children that are hard to deal with"
    I believe that any child that has ASD can be perfectly normal like any other child.

Sorry if you find my post harsh but as a mother of a Autism child this sort of thing is close to home for me!
    i would like to invite you to come spend a week with my asd child
    he is not happy not loving he is not perfectly normal or like any other child. he is violent abusive and aggressive. if i could take away his asd i would do it in a heart beat. autism is a spectrum i would have imagined as someone familiar with it as yourself u would be aware of the vast differences from one asd kid to the next. i don't find your post harsh i find it ridiculous. if your kid is as normal as any other kid how earth did they get a dx?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Reading this makes me think about my friends children who have ASD and are non-verbal, still in nappies, violent...

Do you REALLY believe they can be perfectly normal like any other child?

Thanks
    Reviews
    More and more vaccines, toxins being injected into our bodies. IMO

OJandMe is offline I am the strength my children will have.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Statistically and biologically..older mothers and fathers have an increased chance of having a child with a disability along the ASD spectrum.

Whether that's the case on the Hub is unknown, however the Hub does not represent the data available to the medical board and the conditions associated with the increased rate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i was 22 when i gave birth to my asd child and my dh was 26. I've never heard of an age link before?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpysmurf View Post
    i was 22 when i gave birth to my asd child and my dh was 26. I've never heard of an age link before?

As gametes age they have an increased risk of molecular abnormalities.

Research article: Published Austism Research Vol 3(1), 2010http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...r.116/abstract

Science Daily article: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0208102411.htm

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i was 21! and 26.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They are also saying that a mutated gene in the fathers sperm cell that occurred during HIS gestation can contribute to passing on Autism in a family with more than one child with autism....

University of Iowa (2007, May 3). Sperm Mutation Linked To Autism. ScienceDaily. Retrieved April 4, 2012, from http://www.sciencedaily.com­ /releases/2007/05/070503125726.htm

As I said in my first post, the age of parents with children with Austism on the Hub does not offer a representation of the statistics on the whole.... as generally younger women tend to be more associated with forums than older women.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast