+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree with increased knowledge equals Increased diagnosis. From the 1980s to now is exactly when ASDs have been properly identified: my dh was a kid in the 80s, saw paeds etc but no one knew about aspies then. Nowadays it is well known in The medical fraternity plus the community, and there is actual funding to get help - of course rates have increased drastically.
    In our case I am 100% confident vaccines were not involved - we can trace the aspie in dhs family back to well before vaccines were around! I can't speak for other families but think it is an unlikely theory. I am waiting to hear some of the research results from studies of pre vaccine infants and signs that might be showing then.
    I just told dh about the pp about the Internet and he thought it was spot on - in many ways the digital world is perfect for asd people, so we might see an even greater increase due to more having families. Which in many ways is a good thing , cause as stressful as it is right now I know my little aspies will make the world a better place

2. The Following User Says Thank You to twotrunks For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (04-04-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i met my dh online ^_^ its the only way to have/maintain people in my life. so yep thank goodness for the internet.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the biggest impact in the increase in statistics is awareness and diagnosis. In the past it was much easier for someone to slip under the radar and simply be considered quirky or wierd.

Also in the past, being diagnosed with autism would result in being confined to an institution for life. Now it results in positive action to help the child. Therefore a parent is more likely to seek a diagnosis than protect their child from one.

There is also another possibility. There is suggestion of the modern highly processed diet amplifying austistic symptoms. Therefore there is likely also a small increase in numbers due to the effects of a highly processed modern diet. A similar argument can be made for the vaccine issue, but that is highly debated.

In short, the main factor increasing the proportion of people diagnosed on the autistic spectrum is:

a) awareness of the public to seek a diagnosis
    b) the widespread acceptance of medicos to consider a diagnosis
    c) the positive return of a diagnosis thus encouraging one to be sought
    d) possible environmental factors increasing the frequency and severity of peoples conditions
    Last edited by sweetseven; 04-04-2012 at 08:50.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetseven For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (04-04-2012)

Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've never met anyone in the military with diagnosed autism... That's not to say they don't exist, it's just that I'm yet to meet someone lol.
    I think I've had about 30 vaccinations/boosters in the last two years, never really thought about a link between military members and their kids . There were a couple of shots that they told me I shouldn't fall utd for 6 months afterwards, buy that was it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Studies seem to support the theory that increased awareness and diagnosis have a lot to do with the increased rates:

http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/...wo-hypotheses/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Maybelline  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few of you have every right to voice your opinion, but so do I. If you don't like what I have to say, dont read it. I approached the subject because I thought people would give me insight- and they have. "Good Lord"... A form of exclamation generally used in introduction. "It makes me afraid to have another kid."... Um of course it does. It will be a concern I have next time around that I didn't when I got pregnant almost ten years ago when there was much less awareness. I never said or implied that a child with autism being born wouldn't be a good thing, but any parent of an autistic child (many of which I know so I do not need your preaching about how you are one) would tell you its not something they hoped for their child when they conceived. It is common... Common enough that yes, it will be something i'll worry about. I watch friends and family members struggle with this every day and while some cases are mild and I concur a dx is better than bot having one... Not all cases are mild. I have friends who will ve living with and caring for their children for tge rest of their lives. Of course I would do that if I had to, but no one starts out wanting that.. No one I know anyway. I suggest you troll around somewgere else if youre looking for a debate. All I was doing is heightening autism awareness and trying to further educate myself on others beliefs. In regards to the military stats... Its not the soldiers themselves ib question.. Its the procreation occurring after the vaccines have beeb given to those soldiers. That being said, the idea of ASD trait vearers being more attracted to thr mikitary lifestyle is plausible. its been a year or more since I read those stats. I almost want to say it was Parentibg mag or something like that but i'll need to poke aroubd and look for more info on it.

Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Gut health.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter has ASD, And i can tell you my child is as normal as any other child. Its nothing to worry about if your child has it or doesnt have it. My DR told me she has ASD and you wouldnt even know it. There is more information out there these days that is why the rates are going up. I dont see my child as being different to any other child i also wouldnt say that i hoped it didn't happen ( I see anyone that states that they hope it didnt happen to be selfish and what they were hoping for is a real easy child) because at the end of the day i have a child that i love and care for and she is the most happiest and loving and healthy child i have met. My sisters child does not have ASD and to be honest i find him the biggest pain in the back side then my daughter who is classed as " one of them children that are hard to deal with"
    I believe that any child that has ASD can be perfectly normal like any other child.

Sorry if you find my post harsh but as a mother of a Autism child this sort of thing is close to home for me!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry apple cheesecake View Post
    Sorry if you find my post harsh but as a mother of a Autism child this sort of thing is close to home for me!
    A mother of a child who has Autism.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Gandalf  (04-04-2012),OJandMe  (04-04-2012),share a book  (15-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id hardly say im hoping for an easy child. Ive raised two on my own til I met my current SO. That wasnt easy. It has not near as much to do with me as the child who has to go through life with that label. Im not condoning the way people look at children with autism (at least those cases that arent mild). It just is what it is. Most ppl do not understand and dont care to. Perhps awareness campaigns should be more focused on actual awareness of the disorder and acceptance of it then instead of the fear that is projected on people of how common it is. As far as you bot wanting your child to have autism... Are you saying you just didnt worry either way or are you saying you wished your child would be born with a disorder and/or disability? I dont believe any parent would actively want any such thing for their child. If youre trying to tell me thats not true... Youre clearly in the "my child has autism and im in the defense about it" bandwagon too. Take it somewhere else lady.

Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub