+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 66
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    10,943
    Thanks
    2,608
    Thanked
    2,866
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Babiesoneday View Post
    Good Lord, it almost makes me afraid to have another kid. April is Autism awareness month. I read this morning the rates are now 1 in 88... Boys specifically 1 in 54. I have my own theories as to why the rate keeps going up, but i'm curious what everyone else thinks???

    Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub
    With all due respect, I don't think it's appropriate, much less very nice to start off with 'Good Lord it makes me afraid to have another kid'.

    That seems very insensitive to those who may have a child/ren with autism and is discounting any good that their being born could be. You may disagree, but that's just the way it reads to me.

  2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

    Benji  (04-04-2012),Gandalf  (04-04-2012),ItWasntMe  (04-04-2012),Jakois  (04-04-2012),MamaC  (15-07-2012),twotrunks  (04-04-2012),Zombie_eyes  (04-04-2012)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    10,306
    Thanks
    3,126
    Thanked
    6,314
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I do get that we have better diagnoses now but hasn't it gone from 1 in 1200 in the 80,s to what OP said now 1 in 80? That seems like a massive jump, surely it can't be just that? We were all talking about it on the weekend too, my niece has Aspergers but no one else in the family has any traits however it is supposed to be genetic I think? Does anyone know what the medical profession think about the massive increase?

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    69
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    20
    Reviews
    0
    I think it's likely a combination of increased awareness nowadays and one other thing... I just cannot turn my head and look the other way to all the hormones in our foods and vaccines we have. Id always thought vaccines played a role and I found out last year that children born to military parents are at increased risk and I dont see how one couldnt think the link is all the vaccines the military members are forced to get. I do understand hoe commob autism is, which is why I brought it up. I have a few family members with it and many friends who have autistic children.

    Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1,687
    Thanks
    259
    Thanked
    182
    Reviews
    2
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think it's appropriate, much less very nice to start off with 'Good Lord it makes me afraid to have another kid'.

    That seems very insensitive to those who may have a child/ren with autism and is discounting any good that their being born could be. You may disagree, but that's just the way it reads to me.

    This is what I thought as well....

    Sent from my LG-P920 using BubHub

  6. #15
    Mrs Molly Coddle's Avatar
    Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,296
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked
    221
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uniquey View Post
    With all due respect, I don't think it's appropriate, much less very nice to start off with 'Good Lord it makes me afraid to have another kid'.

    That seems very insensitive to those who may have a child/ren with autism and is discounting any good that their being born could be. You may disagree, but that's just the way it reads to me.
    Yes, I agree OP.

  7. #16
    Mrs Molly Coddle's Avatar
    Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    3,296
    Thanks
    121
    Thanked
    221
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babiesoneday View Post
    I think it's likely a combination of increased awareness nowadays and one other thing... I just cannot turn my head and look the other way to all the hormones in our foods and vaccines we have. Id always thought vaccines played a role and I found out last year that children born to military parents are at increased risk and I dont see how one couldnt think the link is all the vaccines the military members are forced to get. I do understand hoe commob autism is, which is why I brought it up. I have a few family members with it and many friends who have autistic children.

    Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub
    I have done hardly any research on autism and vaccination, but I have a theory on why this may be so (military children more likely to have autism, that is.) My theory is that there is a certain personality type that is drawn to military employment. Perhaps it is an area of occupation appealing to those with ASDs? Highly regimented and organized, for example. Then the genetic link would explain higher incidence of autism in the children.
    Health care workers, and even freqent travellers would have more vaccinations than the median population, but I haven't heard of there being a higher incidence of autism in those social groups.
    Just my 2 cents!

    As for your original question, I will just echo what the others have said. I think it is just that there is an increased diagnosis rather than increased autism!

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

    Deserama  (04-04-2012),MissMuppet  (04-04-2012),mummabec  (06-07-2012),Okebro  (05-04-2012),twotrunks  (04-04-2012)

  9. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Brisbane, QLD
    Posts
    12,994
    Thanks
    1,125
    Thanked
    1,962
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Molly Coddle View Post
    I have done hardly any research on autism and vaccination, but I have a theory on why this may be so (military children more likely to have autism, that is.) My theory is that there is a certain personality type that is drawn to military employment. Perhaps it is an area of occupation appealing to those with ASDs? Highly regimented and organized, for example. Then the genetic link would explain higher incidence of autism in the children. Health care workers, and even freqent travellers would have more vaccinations than the median population, but I haven't heard of there being a higher incidence of autism in those social groups. Just my 2 cents! As for your original question, I will just echo what the others have said. I think it is just that there is an increased diagnosis rather than increased autism!
    I was in the military, and my husband currently is and we don't show any of the traits and neither do our children. My father is in the military none of my siblings are on the spectrum. In fact almost every male in my family and starting with my aunt a lot of the females have done military service and there is no family history of autism. Where do you get your stats from re: military children and autism?

  10. #18
    Zombie_eyes's Avatar
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    9,354
    Thanks
    2,835
    Thanked
    9,033
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    because there is more information.

    imo, when u have a child that struggles and is miserable, distressed, scared ALL.THE.TIME, a dx is a blessing. dx = help.

    i've been miserable my whole life, maybe that would have been different if more information was out there, if i had of gotten help? who knows.

  11. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    973
    Thanks
    70
    Thanked
    301
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I do get that we have better diagnoses now but hasn't it gone from 1 in 1200 in the 80,s to what OP said now 1 in 80? That seems like a massive jump, surely it can't be just that? We were all talking about it on the weekend too, my niece has Aspergers but no one else in the family has any traits however it is supposed to be genetic I think? Does anyone know what the medical profession think about the massive increase?
    If US figures are being included in those rates, then DSM only listed autism in 1980. Previously it was diagnosed as a type of schizophrenia. So, yes, rates should start jumping MASSIVELY post 1980 as US psychiatrists upgrade to the new edition of DSM. Similarly, US rates should decrease soon with the redefinition being published.

    Quote Originally Posted by Babiesoneday View Post
    I think it's likely a combination of increased awareness nowadays and one other thing... I just cannot turn my head and look the other way to all the hormones in our foods and vaccines we have. Id always thought vaccines played a role and I found out last year that children born to military parents are at increased risk and I dont see how one couldnt think the link is all the vaccines the military members are forced to get. I do understand hoe commob autism is, which is why I brought it up. I have a few family members with it and many friends who have autistic children.
    I've not seen any evidence for vaccines causing autism, only scaremongering about it ... people being afraid of what they don't know and trying to spread the fear rather than education.
    I hadn't heard a military-autism link, but would also guess that any correlation would be due to military attracting ASD, what with the rigid rules structure and fixed hierarchical interpersonal interactions.
    Being a kid in Silicon Valley is a risk factor for autism, because the characteristics that make good computer programmers are ASD. I think having an engineer as a parent might also be a risk factor, for the same reason.

    Edit: I'm not diagnosed ASD. I did consider military (and engineering, ADFA) because I thought it might make interpersonal interactions easier, and little things like not needing to decide for myself what time is the "correct" time to get out of bed and stuff like that. (Expectations are based entirely on movie/TV.)
    I've had to painstakingly learn the "rules" for social interaction throughout my life. I nearly always remember to say hello when I see people now, but still think it's stupid and unnecessary to have to do so. ((Can't you see me without me speaking? If not, you're rude, not me.)) Whenever I wanted to quit school (start homeschool or something) mum always told me school wasn't for learning the subjects (I was really good as them), but to learn social interaction, so I did.
    Last edited by felicita; 04-04-2012 at 09:06.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

    Guest654  (04-04-2012),Okebro  (05-04-2012)

  13. #20
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    2,891
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked
    178
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babiesoneday View Post
    I think it's likely a combination of increased awareness nowadays and one other thing... I just cannot turn my head and look the other way to all the hormones in our foods and vaccines we have. Id always thought vaccines played a role and I found out last year that children born to military parents are at increased risk and I dont see how one couldnt think the link is all the vaccines the military members are forced to get. I do understand hoe commob autism is, which is why I brought it up. I have a few family members with it and many friends who have autistic children.

    Sent from my DROIDX using BubHub
    I too am wondering were your info regarding military families comes from? Yes my DH is required to get many shots, but our children never do.. My DH is in the army and tbh I have never met anyone that he works with, with a child with autism.. Not that I am saying there isn't any but you do meet a lot of people living that lifestyle! And organised Pffft LOL we are the most un organised people in the world!
    I was sending parcels to my hubby for weeks when he was first deployed. I can't organize preschool for my daughter cos we don't know we're we will live, I can't organize our holiday cos I don't know when DH will be back from afghan *I* think military life is far from organized!!


 

Similar Threads

  1. Ideas for increasing energy during 2nd tri.
    By faroutbrusselsprout in forum Second Trimester Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 13:13
  2. Increasing milk supply
    By rollercoaster2012 in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-10-2012, 13:29
  3. 5 month old increasing feeds
    By Etienne in forum Breastfeeding Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 28-04-2012, 08:19

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Springfree Trampoline
Give the Ultimate Christmas Gift Springfree Trampoline
The World's Safest Trampoline™ is now also the world's first Smart Trampoline™. Sensors on the mat detect your every move and your jumps control fun, educational and active games on tablet. Secure the Ultimate Christmas Gift today!
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
KindyROO
KindyROO offers activities for babies & toddlers in a fun learning centre, focussing on developmental education. Classes are available at three Brisbane and two Gold Coast locations. Enrol today & help your child to reach their full potential. Visit the website to find out more.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!