+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Eko is offline Acrobatic Dominatrix.
    Winner 2012 - Most Politically Correct Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't have a baby shower for DS because of circumstance. I'm planning on having one for this bub but it will be a "no gifts" thing. What you could perhaps do is laybuy the items you want, and if people ask you what you want you could say "oh we're paying off a laybuy, some money towards that would be very helpful!" But out wouldn't look planned, as it would of you had a registry or wishing well. If they give you a gift instead, so be it, and at least they'll know that you're not 'expecting' anything .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eko For This Useful Post:

grumpybump  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think personally a wishing well for a 3rd baby shower is a little rude. I would be annoyed if I received an invite asking for money.
    I think there should only be one baby shower for a first baby and then a baby sprinkle in which you request no presents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    For a 3rd baby I would specify no gifts. I didn't have a shower at all as I knew we'd get gifts after the birth. To me I get embarrassed at the idea of a present grabbing opportunity.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. much appreciated.
    As i stated before, i'm not keen on having a baby shower this time round but my best friend stuffed up the last shower (which again, i didnt want but she insisted she host it - she's very bossy/stubborn and in which she didnt even turn up to anyways!!!) so she wants to make it up to me cos she knows i was really upset with her. she now lives away so we never see each other and i guess she's worried our friendship will fade as we dont see each other anymore. she will come back for the shower tho.

anyhow, sounds like the wishing well is not a good idea. i know my family and no matter what they will buy me lots of pressies. i'm the only one in the family who has children and will be for many years so they all spoil me (for now anyways!) and i have a relatively big close family too. i just want them to know that i dont want gifts but if they really want to (which they will) i dont want clothes or blankets or more toys cos i have soooooo much anyways. i'd just rather money so i can get something i really need instead. and again, i only need 3 things. and we have a MASSIVE library so no books are needed either..

oh......
    i'm so confused.... i think i'll just get my mate to send a note with the invites saying something like - "no gifts required, just come for the fun!" or something along those lines... as thats what i'd prefer.

any advice for the correct wording???

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    How about "Please just bless us with your presence, not your presents" or something similarly naff.

Another idea is to just let people bring gifts you reckon they will anyway and then donate them to a worthwhile charity. Or ask people to donate to a charity of your choice in the name of your little newbie when she is born. Or you could ask everyone to bring a plate & ask the family who love to spend money on you to also bring a bottle of booze each, and that why at least you aren't out of pocket for the baby shower.

Another idea I like is to ask everyone to bring a homemade meal for the freezer instead of a gift. Much more practical than a million more little onesies, will make your life much easier in those first few weeks and everyone feels they are doing something helpful and worthwhile. And it's affordable and so much more meaningful.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noopy View Post
    As i stated before, i'm not keen on having a baby shower this time round but my best friend stuffed up the last shower (which again, i didnt want but she insisted she host it - she's very bossy/stubborn and in which she didnt even turn up to anyways!!!) so she wants to make it up to me cos she knows i was really upset with her. she now lives away so we never see each other and i guess she's worried our friendship will fade as we dont see each other anymore. she will come back for the shower tho.

anyhow, sounds like the wishing well is not a good idea. i know my family and no matter what they will buy me lots of pressies. i'm the only one in the family who has children and will be for many years so they all spoil me (for now anyways!) and i have a relatively big close family too. i just want them to know that i dont want gifts but if they really want to (which they will) i dont want clothes or blankets or more toys cos i have soooooo much anyways. i'd just rather money so i can get something i really need instead. and again, i only need 3 things. and we have a MASSIVE library so no books are needed either..

oh......
    i'm so confused.... i think i'll just get my mate to send a note with the invites saying something like - "no gifts required, just come for the fun!" or something along those lines... as thats what i'd prefer.

TIA!
    I think your wording sounds great! You can always speak to those close family members about the other items especially if you know they will get you something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by noopy View Post

oh......

TIA!
    I think your wording sounds great! You can always speak to those close family members about the other items especially if you know they will get you something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I dont like baby showers for 2nd and subsequent babies and i definitely dont think a wishing well is appropriate for a baby shower let alone your third one. I think people like to buy gifts, it gives people a nice feeling looking through all the little onesies and outfits, i think they get pleasure out of that, i know i do. So i think a wishing well takes away from that.
    I would do just say on the invite please shower us with your presence not presents or something along those lines. Id also just layby the three large items you need and have your friend tell them that if they wish to buy you a gift they can go to xyz place where you have a layby and they can contribute towards that. I think that way they feel like they have at least given you something as opposed to just cash
    good luck

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fox For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (04-04-2012),noopy  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think a wishing well is appropriate- for a wedding yes, but for a baby shower- no way. Especially as it is your third bub. I say just have a girly get together celebration... No one will b offended if you say no gifts!!! Whatever u decide, enjoy!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PinkIsTheNewBlack For This Useful Post:

noopy  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mmm i don't personally like the idea, but you know your friends and family best!

We had a baby BBQ for our third bub. it was more about getting together with everyone before our lives got more hectic. It was a terrific day (and somehow turned into a big night, for all the non preggies anyway...)