+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Baby Shower for 3rd Baby.....

hi there
    i'm having a baby shower for my 3rd child. to be honest, I dont really want to have it but my best friend stuffed up my 2nd baby shower that she was hosting (or was supposed to at least!! she didt even turn up!!!!) and reallllly wants to make it up to me this time round. She hosted my 1st baby shower and it was really successful and she's hoping to do the same this time around.

anyways, as it will be our 3rd child, as you can imagine we have everything (and it will be our 3rd girl too!!!) so we dont need clothes or toys or really anything. i need about 3 things in total to be honest and they all range from $70-$100 each.

I dont want to tell people not to buy anything (to just come empty handed) as i reckon a lot of them may be offended and would buy me something anyways, so i was thinking maybe a baby shower wishing well???? what do you reckon?? that way, no matter how small or big it is, i get what i want - and no more clothes/towels/blankets/toys etc...!!! And, they dont have to say who its from if they dont want to.

i'm only having about 20 people come - half are my family (who would buy me something, baby shower or not), and the other half are my closest friends who all have kids so would totally understand.

do you think having a wishing well is inappropriate??? or would it be acceptable because its my 3rd child.

All ideas, suggestions, thoughts, advice etc is greatly appreciated!!

TIA!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that would be a good idea. But ive never been to one or had one before.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Great idea!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What about get starting a library for the new baby? Get each guest to write an inscription in the front for the new baby.

Or ask for nappies, or something else that would get used.

Thanks
    Reviews
    To be honest, I wouldn't. I don't like the idea of 2nd or 3rd baby showers anyway (they are meant to shower a new mother in gifts, who doesn't yet have anything for a baby, so by that definition it should really only be for a first time mum). And I really don't like the idea of a wishing well...I think the only time it can possibly be ok is for a wedding.

I hope I haven't been mean, I just think a few of your guests would see you as a bit "gift grabby" based on the fact that it's your third shower and you are also asking for money. If it was me and I really wanted a third shower I would really stress the no presents thing. If they got you something small, then great but it shouldn't be requested at all.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mysurprisebaby For This Useful Post:

babyla  (04-04-2012),Crazyfamily  (04-04-2012),GlitterFarts  (04-04-2012),Jarylee  (04-04-2012),MissMuppet  (04-04-2012),MoonstoneMare  (04-04-2012),peanuthead  (04-04-2012),The Fox  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a second baby shower and just told everyone to bring themselves, it was more of a girlie get together before i had DD. No one was insulted when i asked them not to bring anything. I don't like the ideal of a wishing well sorry, being your third I think not being nasty but you should be happy with whatever you get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I like the idea of starting a library.. Tbh I don't like baby showers for 2nd and 3rd babies I have always thought it was first time mums that got baby showers :?
    I wouldn't be offended if someone said no presents..
    Maybe my family is sh!t but I didn't get any gifts for my second baby, oh except from DH mum who paid for both our kids hand, feet photo frames..

Thanks
    Reviews
    For my second baby shower I had a girly pamper night with facials, hand massages etc. So it was more of a relaxing thing for me before bubs came. I stressed no presents and everyone was fine with that.

For this bub my bestie wanted to organise something and I was said that's fine but it had to be low key and no presents. Again everyone was fine with that and we ended up having an awesome afternoon tea picnic at a park.

I have to agree that having second, third etc baby showers does seem like a bit of a gift grab and I dont particularly like the idea of a wishing well either sorry...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Don't do the wishing well. I put a note on the invite for my 2nd baby shower saying "Gifts welcome, but not expected. Please come and have some fun". Probably could have worded it better, but my point was that what I really wanted was to catch up with friends & family before the bubs arrived so I'd been so tired & physically struggling during the pregnancy that getting out & about had been difficult.

Everyone ignored the no need to bring a gift thing & I got heaps of baby girl clothes (I had a boy already & I knew I was having a girl). Most of the guests would have given me stuff after the birth and this way they got to give them a few weeks early. But most of all we had a really great night!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Although I see your reasoning behind wanting a wishing well I think asking for money is somewhat rude. A better way IMO is to get your friend to include a little note in the invitation perhaps with her contact details and bank account or a way for her to receive money and then explain you would really like a few large ticket items as opposed to clothes etc and that way they can easily contribute the money - your friend buys the items and then everyone at your baby shower can see what the money was spent on.