+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Serious/SEVERE medical problem/s.. Need advice on this and Finances.. PLEASE

Hi so about 2 weeks ago I went to work and started displaying stoke like symtoms.. Im 27 years old with 4 kids.

Sent to the hospital who ruled it out.. But confirmed after Mris and Ct scans I have A very LARGE Syrinx and a Arnold Chiari Malformation Type 1.

Got sent to a bigger hospital. Where they scheduled me for surgery the following TUesday so a few days.. By the afternoon I went to the hospital I had almost no feeling at all over my left hand side. Including mouth.

The surgery that they are doing is only tofix one of those problems...The arnold chiari.. To do that they had to remove 3/4 of my first vertebrae and take out My foramen Magnum Bone (the bottom of my skull) They didnt replace them either.. They were just trying to make the hole between my brain and spine bigger so the fluid could flow more freely..

If this surgery works we may not need to fix the syrnix as the fluid will have more room to move and will hopefully lessen.. Because to fix a syrnix you need to go through the spinal cord which can paralys me amongst other things.

Anyway I had the surgery last Tuesday and I just got home today on a crap load of pain killers..
    (BTW they told my husband and I the surgery would take 2 hours pus 1 hour in recovery.. He and my parents thought id died because I was in surgery for 7 hours and one in recovery and not once did they tell him what was happening or my parents when they asked)

DO any of you have any advice about these Surgeries because Im told there are alot of risk factors after this surgery.. (the one i had)

The OTHER BIT OF ADVICE I was after.. Is we are a double income family.. Centrelink stopped our payments completely a few months ago because they stuffed up when we updated our FTB.

Im not allowed to work for 8 weeks minimum and thats from my surgery date... Not from when I first got off work from being sick a week prior.. Thats as a minimum to... If I dont need the other surgery

But now Im not working and Iv already now run out of leave..
    Is there anything we can get my husband has to go back to work..He is on Tuesday cause he had to have the time off to look after our kids and be there for me..And he will of run out of leave..

I cant walk yet or only around our house so Im in a wheelchair if I need to do something longer than less than 5 minutes.. we have to buy a wheelchair because for how long I need to rent it Aldi is selling them tomorrow.

We are gonna end up going bankrupt with me not being paid.. We will run out of food we wont be able to pay rent and we wont be able to pay for our car loan>>

Is there different payments we can get from Centrelink? Or anywhere? I am so frightened that because I got sick im gonna stuff my families lives up..

Any help of any kind would be great/
    Last edited by 3boysNAprincess; 03-04-2012 at 22:48.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Firstly

Do you have income insurance through your super or outside provider?

You can also access your super in cases such as this- go through their policies online and you should be able to find something, or call them first thing tomorrow. It does take a few weeks to sort out accessing it early for medical/financial hardship purposes.

I really don't know about centrelink, or anything else. Sorry.

And more

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and sorry its soo long I took heaps out and only put the points in here..

I probably still forgot bits cause im n a whole heap of painkillers and my heads killing me..

I had to cut my long hair off and i have a frightful scare down the back of my head neck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbity Babbity View Post
    Firstly

Do you have income insurance through your super or outside provider?

You can also access your super in cases such as this- go through their policies online and you should be able to find something, or call them first thing tomorrow. It does take a few weeks to sort out accessing it early for medical/financial hardship purposes.

I really don't know about centrelink, or anything else. Sorry.

And more
    Apparently in my super I didnt know cause its a newer one only been with them for like 10 months but my work has free financial people and he rang me and told me..

I do have income protection you need to be off work for 30 days minimum to get it and then you still cant actually get any of it for 60 days minimum so we are screwed until then.. Unfortunately..

Did i say I have to buy a wheelchair too.. Gah!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would expect your husband should be able to apply for Carers (Payment / Allowance).

Thanks
    Reviews
    His going back to work I dont need anyone to take care of me the government have changed th babies daycare to 5 full days a week while this serious situation is happeningat seriously reduced rates they were only in 3 days before that.. He is going to drop all the kids off in the morning and Im gonna stay home all day till they get home at 6 all 5 of them.. I mean something to replace or even a little bit of my wage..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by 3boysNAprincess View Post
    Apparently in my super I didnt know cause its a newer one only been with them for like 10 months but my work has free financial people and he rang me and told me..

I do have income protection you need to be off work for 30 days minimum to get it and then you still cant actually get any of it for 60 days minimum so we are screwed until then.. Unfortunately..

Did i say I have to buy a wheelchair too.. Gah!
    Did anyone at the hospital provide any info grants/funding/long term loan schemes on devices to support your recovery (like wheel chair)?

Have you got any family or friends who can help you during the day while your DH is at work?

You could also try calling slavos and seeing if they have schemes or ways to help with the wheel chair/food/anything else.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If youre in perth i can lend you a wheelchair

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow I know someone who has this and had surgery, she did have to have one further operation but the 2nd op was less invasive and she is doing really well. Sending you lots of strength. Have you checked with your insurance if they cover specified events?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Centrelink can offer a sickness allowance while you wait for insurance.... This should increase your family benefits as well...
    It's worth a trip to Centrelink