+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What is the best wrap when pregnant with a small baby?

Hey ladies. I have a 4.5 month old baby and am currently 5 weeks pregnant. I have a nurture sling that is use for quick trips in shops etc and a Beco butterfly 2 carrier that I use for cleaning the house or when I'm making dinner etc.

Neither of these will be any real use once I get a bigger belly so does anyone know of a wrap I can get that I can use that won't restrict or dig in to my belly too much? Obviously something stretchy and comfortable and preferably light weight. I love carrying bubs around lately.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As baby gets heavier, you are probably better off with something woven instead of stretchy. ANd maybe try wearing them on your back?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh ok? Are the more sturdy? Do you know of a good one??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Yep a woven would be my choice. You could carry them in a back rucksack and tie the front above your belly. Brands? Eeeeeeek. So many to choose from when the main difference (except for materials sometimes) is the pattern and colour. There is a baby wearing buy sell and swap group on the internet. Might be a good place to start looking at a woven in your price and ability range, as they can be expensive particularly compared to a stretchy. Your stretchy probably won't last much longer though, they are usually only used to about 8kg
    Oh thank you

What is this website called? I would be interested in that for sure!
    Oh ok my bubs is 7kgs now so I think I'll go with Woven then! Thanks so much I honestly had no idea!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Yep a woven would be my choice. You could carry them in a back rucksack and tie the front above your belly. Brands? Eeeeeeek. So many to choose from when the main difference (except for materials sometimes) is the pattern and colour. There is a baby wearing buy sell and swap group on the internet. Might be a good place to start looking at a woven in your price and ability range, as they can be expensive particularly compared to a stretchy. Your stretchy probably won't last much longer though, they are usually only used to about 8kg
    was just going to post this!

check out the facebook group [called: babywearing buy sell and swap]! stretchy wraps aren't recommended for back-carrying, but even if you ask on the group whether there are any women who live near you who own wovens so that you can try a couple out before you buy something, and also get help (because personally, i still find using a woven a teeny-bit more tricky than the stretchy - just a matter of practice though).

and good luck! wovens are truly comfortable, and you'll be able to tie them so they're completely off your tummy (and your boobs ), which should make the pregnancy more comfortable for you.
    Last edited by Gandalf; 04-04-2012 at 18:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to hijack. Gandalf and missie Mack I've been stalking you both for more info on woven wraps after I read a previous thread lol at the moment I use a sleepy wrap but read about woven wraps (from another post) and have been looking online.

I have some questions!

Why and how do you "break it in"?
    And how do I know which ones are good?
    Which materials are best?

Baby wearing, co-sleeping, booby feeding mummy to one

ETA I don't have a facebook to check that page either

Thanks
    Reviews
    $500! That's crazy lol when I told dp I was looking at one that was about $180 she almost fell over! DD is only 5 months though so I imagine I will use it for quite a while.

Thanks for your help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Etienne View Post
    Sorry to hijack. Gandalf and missie Mack I've been stalking you both for more info on woven wraps after I read a previous thread lol at the moment I use a sleepy wrap but read about woven wraps (from another post) and have been looking online.

I have some questions!

Why and how do you "break it in"?
    And how do I know which ones are good?
    Which materials are best?

ETA I don't have a facebook to check that page either
    missie mack basically summed it up!
    but also, i'm in adelaide, so any time you head into the city - let me know, there's a mass amount of us baby wearers! i have quite a few sizes now, so you're more than welcome to try out anything in my stash
    you should be able to find us under 'adelaide baby wearers' on facebook though (i think - not sure if its an open group or not. if you can't find it, pm me on here and i'll add you)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    if you can hunt down a selendang, do! they're only about $30 - i've got one, and i love it!
    theres a slip-knot that works really well to make short wraps into something that functions basically the same as a ring sling.

but yes, wraps are expensive - but SO worth it! (and my advice is, start wrapping from as young as possible - my toddler refuses to be wrapped because i switched from the stretchy to the ergo once she was around 8kg, and now she'll havenothing but the ergo ) - hoping to tempt her with my new wrap conversion LOL

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gandalf For This Useful Post:

Etienne  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys!

I started with a pouch type sling (nurture sling) then got a breeze baby ring sling that I couldn't work out very well (youtubed it for hours but probably needed to see it in real life) and then the sleepy wrap. DD loves all of them! She loves the wrap the most though.

Thanks gandalf! I live about 4 hours from Adelaide at the moment but moving back in November
    And I don't have a facebook...I think I may be the only one on the planet without one haha