View Poll Results: what do you do & why?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • #1 - flick the switch - why?

6 26.09%
  • #1 - leave the switch - why?

3 13.04%
  • #2 - push the man - why?

0 0%
  • #2 - don't push the man - why?

11 47.83%
  • can't choose!! - why?

3 13.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Buttoneska is offline Winner 2010- Most Community Minded Thread Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetseven View Post
    Okay, I'm going to take the action/inaction problem out of the equation - well worsen it really.

There is a ferris wheel that has stopped with two carriages on the opposite sides of the wheel. There was an earthquake and a crater opened up next to it. It is teetering and will fall into the crater soon. You are in the control booth and can turn it one way or the other. You can direct one carriage to go to the ground to let the passenger(s) off and the other will be moved to the top of the ferris wheel high up in the air. There is not enough time to do the full circle and get both carriages down. One carriage contains one person the other contains five. Your options are:

a) do nothing and allow it to fall into the crater with both carriages killing all six passengers, or
    b) turn the handle to the left to bring the carriage with one passenger to the ground and lift the other carriage with five passengers higher into the air, or
    c) turn the handle to the right to bring the carriage with five passengers to the ground and lift the carriage with one passenger into the air.

EASY for me - save 5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wouldn't intervene in either situation.

I don't think people have the right to actively choose who lives and dies.

If you applied the "choose 1 to die to save 5" as it's the lesser harm, then you could apply that to other things. For example, if 5 people were dying but could be saved by organ transplants, then could you kill one otherwise healthy person who was not facing any danger, in order to obtain the organs for the 5 dying people?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Also, it's interesting that there are different results for the two options in the OP, as the effect of what you are doing is exactly the same - taking an active step to kill one person to save five.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would totally flick the switch

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Violinist - I would probably stay connected because again I don't think I could be responsible for the death of another LIVING person.

As for the abortion connection, I personally see it as different. The violinist has existed/life for a period of time (presumeably they are an adult). I see not supporting them as ending a life. Chosing to terminate a pregnancy I consider it as not allowing a life to start IYKWIM. Plus after 9mths the violinist goes on with her own life (presumeably). I personally believe that most ppl who decide on abortion also take into account the child would be part of their lives for the rest of their lives (even if adopted out). Its not all over after 9mth. In both situations though, I believe the 'host' should be able to choice whatever they want.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Buttoneska For This Useful Post:

FluffyDucks  (04-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    The violinist one was easy for me, i'd absolutely stay connected.Lying in bed for 9 months out of my whole life to save another persons life, ofcourse. I wouldnt care if he was a violinist or a bin man.
    What if he was a convicted criminal?

..or a drug addict?

(there was outrage a while ago about a known drug addict that was approved for an organ transplant)

It has been an interesting read, thanks to all who have taken part.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

..or a drug addict?

(there was outrage a while ago about a known drug addict that was approved for an organ transplant)

i would probably stay connected to anyone - whose to say this isn't a turning point for them and they won't go onto make a massive contribution to the world.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would stay hooked up to the violinist. It's only 9 months out of my life....a speck really. And it's saved a life.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GothChick View Post
    The violinist one was easy for me, i'd absolutely stay connected.Lying in bed for 9 months out of my whole life to save another persons life, ofcourse. I wouldnt care if he was a violinist or a bin man.
    This.

This is the only question I have no problems answering easily.
    It wouldn't matter if he was homeless or the president - 9 mths isn't much to save a life and I would hope someone would do it for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post

..or a drug addict?

A drug addict - still stay hooked up, he would wake up clean and hopefully be able to make a change in his life.

A criminal - rapist, murderer, pedophile - I would detach.

Minor crimes I think I would stay attached.