View Poll Results: what do you do & why?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • #1 - flick the switch - why?

6 26.09%
  • #1 - leave the switch - why?

3 13.04%
  • #2 - push the man - why?

0 0%
  • #2 - don't push the man - why?

11 47.83%
  • can't choose!! - why?

3 13.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i agree links please interesting

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    SweetSeven, if we're looking at this realistically, I'd probably be struggling to run away from the whole thing... which would be quite difficult because no doubt my pants would be full of my own faecal matter. lol.

But in any case, I'd probably not even think... I'd just act and turn it one way or the other. If I had plenty of time to think it over, I'd probably save the 5 people unless they seemed like jerks... lol. If I'm the operator, I'd probably have dealt with them prior... and tbh, if the 5 people were arrogant jerks, and the 1 person was a lovely, kind person... I'd probably save the one person. If there was nothing remarkable about either, I'd choose the five. But then... if the one was a mother and I knew this cos her kids were standing by watching, I'd save her. Or if the 5 included children, they would be saved, etc. It'd really depend on who the 5 and 1 were...

If it was a "make no move and everyones dies," I wouldn't just do nothing...but I would try and figure out who I felt, based on what little I did know, was worth saving. I guess I'd rather play god in those instances than just let everyone die.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I actually thought about that scenario and determined that I would rather leave it to chance instead of actively deciding.

Determining the weights as 1:5, if I had a die handy I would roll it, and a 1 would mean turn to the left (and save the one) whereas a 2-6 would result in turning to the right (and saving the five). Alternatively some other randomiser would work - ask a stranger their birthday and if it is January or February turn left, March-December turn right.

I would find some randomiser to take the choice out of my hands and then act upon the results dictated.

--------------------

I find this interesting because my initial answer to the first question was yes flick the switch to save the five (at the expense of the one) whereas when action is required but the choice of action is at stake, I feel the need to give both a chance and remove myself from culpability.

I guess for me, inaction is more difficult than action.
    Last edited by sweetseven; 03-04-2012 at 21:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    Oh tough!

In both situations I wouldn't interfere. You don't know what the future holds, and I couldn't purposefully hurt/kill someone to save another...... I'd be thinking what if I pushed the fat guy off the bridge and killed him and it DIDN'T stop the tram, so yeah I'd probably let fate take it's course.

Obviously if stopping the tram wasn't going to put anyone else's life at risk then I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's just not my decision as to whether one persons life is worth more than another IYKWIM?
    This

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Feels good to get the brain ticking hey!?

...here's another one;

The "famous violinist" thought experiment asks a person to consider the ethics of a scenario where they wake to find themselves in a hospital serving as life support to a famous violinist. The person is asked to consider that they were not consulted prior to this arrangement, but that if they detach from the violinist he will die. , "If you stay in the hospital bed, connected to the violinist, he will be totally cured in nine months. You are unlikely to suffer harm. No one else can save him. Do you have an obligation to stay connected?"

(as yes, the above is linked to a modern contraversial topic - but it's interesting to look at it this way)

It's also interesting to see how many times the word "fate" has been used.
    [not judging, as I use it myself - even though I don't 'believe' in it nor 'destiny']

Thanks
    Reviews
    also wanted to say thanks and to sweetseven for sharing the personal perspective involving your mum x

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would flick the switch and I would push the man.

I don't believe in fate or destiny, and I do believe that failing to actively to prevent loss of life is akin to holding a gun to ones head- I would rather be responsible for 1 death instead of 5.

For me, who the people are- prisoners, mothers, fathers, priests- this would make no difference, I would just rather be responsible for ending 1 life, instead of 5. I wouldn't want to judge someone prior to ending their life.

In reality, I would freeze up and have a panic attack, so I would never really be capable of dealing with such a situation. I would also be absolutely distressed what ever did happen though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In the case of the famous violinist, then I would likely choose to stay connected.

However, if we adjust the scenario slightly that it is an unconscious stranger not myself that is providing the life support, then I would feel obliged to wake that stranger so they had the choice for themself. (I am a strong believer in individual autonomy.)
    Last edited by sweetseven; 03-04-2012 at 21:31.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think i would stay connected to the violinist. I figure 9 months isn't that long and i'd be saving his life - if it isn't going to harm me then i would probably hang around. I'd be p1ssed to be put in the position though. I am not sure i'd say i was 'obligated' to stay connected as i was put into the position against my will but i guess it would just be lucky for them they chose me as i wouldn't mind being in a hospital bed for 9 months (i could even consider it a break - read all the books i've wanted to read, sleep heaps, watch all the movies i've wanted to watch etc).
    If it was 2 years then it gets complicated - i would probably unhook myself then as it's too long to interrupt my life. If it was harm me then i'd possibly unhook also, depending on how it would harm me..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Feels good to get the brain ticking hey!?

...here's another one;

The "famous violinist" thought experiment asks a person to consider the ethics of a scenario where they wake to find themselves in a hospital serving as life support to a famous violinist. The person is asked to consider that they were not consulted prior to this arrangement, but that if they detach from the violinist he will die. , "If you stay in the hospital bed, connected to the violinist, he will be totally cured in nine months. You are unlikely to suffer harm. No one else can save him. Do you have an obligation to stay connected?"

(as yes, the above is linked to a modern contraversial topic - but it's interesting to look at it this way)

It's also interesting to see how many times the word "fate" has been used.
    [not judging, as I use it myself - even though I don't 'believe' in it nor 'destiny']
    Couple of things with this one, firstly I think a 'may be distressing' warning should now probably be added to the title and the fact that the person in question is a famous violinist would have absolutely no bearing on my decision, actually it might **** me off a little that someone thought the violinist's life was worth more than my rights to my body. Obviously I would want to save a life but my immediate thoughts were about what impact this would have on my life, I couldn't be at home with my family to care for my children, I couldn't work and provide for my family and I would worry about what impact lying around for 9 months would have on my health/weight etc

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hootenanny For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (04-04-2012)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast