View Poll Results: what do you do & why?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • #1 - flick the switch - why?

6 26.09%
  • #1 - leave the switch - why?

3 13.04%
  • #2 - push the man - why?

0 0%
  • #2 - don't push the man - why?

11 47.83%
  • can't choose!! - why?

3 13.04%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm on my phone, so can't see the poll, but I wouldn't do anything in either situation. Except scream loud enough for people to hear and hopefully move out of the way.

I couldn't be responsible for any death, for any reason.

Oh, and I googled tolley-ology and all I could find was info on picking people up based on the contents of their tRolley (stupid google). Can you put a link up later? I'd be really interested in reading more

2. The Following User Says Thank You to happygrl For This Useful Post:

FiveInTheBed  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another spin on it is -- that single person on the second track is your mother.
    For people that would flick the switch to save 5 lives over 1 would you still do it if it was your own mother.

OR if the tram was heading down the track with your mother on it - would you flick the switch to divert it to 5 strangers?

Would you find it easier to answer the question if it wasn't YOU in the situation, if you were sayingwhat you think another should do?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it possible to maybe have a may be distressing warning on this please.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's interesting to see the responses to this thought experiment...usually when you ask people in person (the first, get their answer, then the second) they'll flick the switch but not push the man.

Anyway yes, I think I'd do just that...
    Choosing to do nothing is still a choice, and given that it's a thought experiment and you KNOW what the outcomes would be, you're equally as responsible if you do or don't take an action.
    The reason I would do one and not the other isn't justified by the outcomes of course...but I guess it's about distance. If you put technology between yourself and others, it's much easier to feel that you're not really taking an action or that you're not responsible. You can see that quite easily in the different ways people interact in person vs online, or that people find it easier to shoot someone as opposed to stabbing them etc.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Buttoneska  (04-04-2012),FiveInTheBed  (03-04-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I said I wouldn't flick the switch anyway, but if my mother was the one person on the track I definitely wouldn't.

I hear about people dying all the time and while I think, "oh, that's sad," I forget about it soon enough and move on with my life. My mother is important to me, and her death would have far more of an impact on me and those around me... I couldn't care less if that's selfish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    You didn't multiple choice so I didn't vote.
    yeh I know -- I suck

Ignore the poll everyone!!

a mod might be able to delete it if they can be ar$ed

Thanks
    Reviews
    To the people that wouldnt do anything, do you not think by doing nothing you are directly responsible for their deaths?

I am one that would do neither, and I do feel I would be responsible for their deaths however I just couldnt play God like that, not knowing who the people were.

For instance, if I knew the 1 man was a rapist, id have no problem moving the train onto his track.....but these could all be innocent people, so I just couldn't be the one to decide.

On a different note, if it was my mother on one track and 5 strangers on the other, I would absolutely steer the train in their direction.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Wow, tough questions.

1 is tricky, i think i would flick the switch. My thought process being that 1 dead is 'better' than 5 dead, although i feel sick at the thought of anyone dying. If it was my mother i would still flick the switch but keep in mind i don't have any attachment to my mother - if it was someone i loved like DH then i would be conundrum hell i can't kill my DH.

2 i couldn't push the man over - i'd have to directly kill him and i just don't think i could. Which is interesting as it's not really much different from the 1st scenario - i'd be killing someone there also but i guess as i can just flick a switch rather than push them it seems 'easier'. I think having to physical push someone would be too distressing, living with that would be too hard whereas with the switch i could focus more on the 5 who lived rather the one as i be more distant from their death (despite killing them).

I have no idea if any of that made sense and my brain hurts now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Another spin on it is -- that single person on the second track is your mother.
    For people that would flick the switch to save 5 lives over 1 would you still do it if it was your own mother.

OR if the tram was heading down the track with your mother on it - would you flick the switch to divert it to 5 strangers?

Would you find it easier to answer the question if it wasn't YOU in the situation, if you were sayingwhat you think another should do?
    Well, my mother is sufferring frontal temporal dementia so some people would argue that it would be best to put her out of her misery. When she recently underwent surgery, the surgeon rang me to ask if I wanted to put a DNR order before the surgery to allow her to pass naturally if something went awry.

I was horrified and whilst she may not be cognitively functional any more, she is physically well and happy. So I said no to the DNR order. But if it were a choice between allowing her to die or five presumably healthy functional people to live, then the lives of the five would hold more value than what is left of the life of my mother.

------------

However, for the average person whose mother is still vital and healthy, then I would say no, dont allow your mother (who has special value to you) to die to save the five.

The other situation involving your mother in the crosshairs and you can deflect it onto the five to save her, is a bit more difficult. Inaction would result in the death of your mother, whereas action will save the person that is important to you at the cost of five random strangers. Reflex would likely push someone to take the action, but then be wracked with guilt about it afterwards. Conversely others would hesitate and not take action and thus also be wracked with guilt and regret.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apologies for my last post, its just a load of drivel, im not making sense anymore, too tired.